Lt. Commander
Dean Takahashi from VentureBeat stopped by the office to talk with Craig Zinkievich and Jack Emmert about Star Trek Online. Check out the article and video interviews here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
VentureBeat.com has posted a second article and two more videos. Check out the rest of what they posted HERE!
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-16-2009, 03:56 PM
One thing that caught my attention was when Jack was talking about after Cryptic got the rights to do STO and they went to Perpetual and interviewed every Perpetual employee that was working on STO and basically told them they had a spot waiting for them at Cryptic to work on STO and not a single Perpetual employee accepted because of the need to re-locate.

That is boggling to me. I can see 75% saying "Thanks but no thanks, don't want to re-locate" due to family committments or whatever, but nobody took them up on the offer? Hmmm.

I know California is a big state and all, but I live in Texas and we have folks re-locating from Dallas to Houston, Austin to San Antonio and every combination all the time. It just struck me as odd.

Now worries though and it was a good piece of STO history to hear about. Good series of interviews.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah. STuff like that is stuff you selfom hear about in the gaming world. You can usually get stuff like that in Movies through a special features section of a DvD or audio commentary.

It's interesting to hear those details.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekks View Post
One thing that caught my attention was when Jack was talking about after Cryptic got the rights to do STO and they went to Perpetual and interviewed every Perpetual employee that was working on STO and basically told them they had a spot waiting for them at Cryptic to work on STO and not a single Perpetual employee accepted because of the need to re-locate.

That is boggling to me. I can see 75% saying "Thanks but no thanks, don't want to re-locate" due to family committments or whatever, but nobody took them up on the offer? Hmmm.

I know California is a big state and all, but I live in Texas and we have folks re-locating from Dallas to Houston, Austin to San Antonio and every combination all the time. It just struck me as odd.

Now worries though and it was a good piece of STO history to hear about. Good series of interviews.
Holy Crap... Crypyic is only like an hour away from Frisco... Give me a break, I work with people that live twice that far from work. Heck my commute is 1.5 hrs. (trains) and oh yeah I'm in the software buisness too.

Babies :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
What interests me most is now I understand *why* Cryptic sold COH/V. I've been very very pleased with the team that still works on that game (Paragon Studios, mostly former Cryptic employees who stayed on with NCsoft after the sale) - but I've always wondered about the reason for it.

Knowing that it was kind of a desperation move to keep the company going after Marvel yanked the rug out from under them is... well pretty understandable.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekks View Post

Some people just like where they live I know I will never move from my home town. If you look at my Avatar or under it I should say you can see what state I am in.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Awesome interview they did a great job, but what really blew my mind was none of the Perpetual people joined the Cryptic team. I suppose they didn't really care to much about the project to keep working on it with Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Nothing new about the game its self, but now I know more about the company creating the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Some nice new game play footage. The Luna class they showed later in the videos was pretty sweet looking