Community Moderator
# 31
03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenscott View Post
I agree with the sentiment of most of the responses to this post - too costly for pretty and function-less additions. HOWEVER, I was struck with an idea. Why not add some non-essential yet, USEFUL function to these types of projects. My first thought when I read about this project was this: Wouldn't it be great if this project let you actually gather intel? What if it allowed fleet members to access a feature to monitor where Borg or Tholian incursion events were? While on a star base or planet-side, we can't see whats going on in space.
Here's an idea... What if this particular special project had also unlocked a special repeatable 3-5 man mission that granted both Fleet marks and Romulan marks?

Fleets would have been falling all over themselves to complete it, even at 200K.

I, and others, will continue to advocate and call for functional upgrades. I understand that this gives the art teams a chance to shine and create something that wouldn't exist otherwise, and that it probably takes few resources outside of the art department to continue creating these. But functional is cooler and gives more value.

My fleet has fulfilled three Starbase special projects (four if you count the holiday hologram). The place doesn't look barren and it's enough for me. The Embassy has gotten no love at all, and probably won't.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 32
03-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Here's an idea... What if this particular special project had also unlocked a special repeatable 3-5 man mission that granted both Fleet marks and Romulan marks?

Fleets would have been falling all over themselves to complete it, even at 200K.

I, and others, will continue to advocate and call for functional upgrades. I understand that this gives the art teams a chance to shine and create something that wouldn't exist otherwise, and that it probably takes few resources outside of the art department to continue creating these. But functional is cooler and gives more value.

My fleet has fulfilled three Starbase special projects (four if you count the holiday hologram). The place doesn't look barren and it's enough for me. The Embassy has gotten no love at all, and probably won't.
Alternative solution:

Every special project comes paired with a brand new fleet/embassy/(insert new holdings in the future) related queuable mission. That mission, for the time period that the special project is available (and probably a reasonable time afterword) will pay out, in addition to FMs and related currency (Omega/Rommie marks for example), a project specific currency item.

The special project is completed by contributing a certain amount of those specific currency items, and the mission becomes a permanent part of the queueable roster.

Thusly do the new fleet holding special projects become not just a gateway for new content, they also become something more than just giant dilithium vacuum cleaners.
Captain
# 33
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
I am pretty sure the entire point of these projects *IS* for them to be hideously expensive and thoroughly useless fluff pieces, things that you DON'T require, and yes, are designed to function as giant dilithium vacuum cleaners specifically to suck out dil from those who have too much of it.