Lt. Commander
# 11
10-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I'll keep asking till I get an answer or the game comes out. lol

How will player progression be effected if a player decides to take a ship into deep, unexplored space? How will it be different from someone who would play PvP or play more around Fed Territory? Will Progression for Feds be more dependant on our actions within mission structures? Save someone, then ask to trade and might get a new tech? If one is Klingon, you could disable the ship and take the tech (partially damaged, needing common X to make it work perfectly)?

Does one have to go to the nearest Starbase to "level"? Or back to Earth? Or can we say "See Ya!" and not look back? (Well maybe come back all decked out in alien tech and abilities and kick butt in PvP!)

Can we switch ships out in Deep Space? (I hope not!)

The Bridge Officers, how will recruiting unknown species as Officers work? What do we do with our old one? Space them?
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Usually games that say you can level as pvp give very little XP for actual pvp, so will someone be able to level via pvp as fast as someone who is pveing?
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
It is my understanding that advancement is done purely through earning and spending skill points (Aside from gaining equipment and bridge officers). If I recall correctly, we earn our skill points by way of missions. So what I am wondering is, do we gain these points while playing through missions, or is it a final reward after completing an entire mission or story arc?

Some related questions:

Do missions always award a skill point?

Do they ever reward more than one point?

If advancement is possible through PvP, then does that mean there will be repeatable PvP missions?

Is there any sort of skill cap in place, or would we eventually be able to obtain and max every skill available to us?

It has been said that Bridge Officer's skill points are in a seperate pool from the captain's points. But what about the ship? Do all the ship related skills have their own seperate pool, or will I have to gimp my captain's personal abilities if I want to get into a Sovereign as soon as possible?

In order to get into better ships, we need to invest skill points to get access to those greater ships. Is there anything like this for weaponry? Will I need to invest a lot of points into phaser pistols before I can use Phaser rifles?

Will there be any kind of "twink" possibilities among my characters? For example, if I have a high level fed character, and then create a fed alt, would I be able to 'twink' my alt by transfering powered up BOs or high end ship mods to my weaker character?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-16-2009, 11:54 PM
how about this ask if Klingon have been nurfed to a pvp race only . to put this question to bed
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziktur View Post
How will player progression be effected if a player decides to take a ship into deep, unexplored space? How will it be different from someone who would play PvP or play more around Fed Territory? Will Progression for Feds be more dependant on our actions within mission structures? Save someone, then ask to trade and might get a new tech? If one is Klingon, you could disable the ship and take the tech (partially damaged, needing common X to make it work perfectly)?

Does one have to go to the nearest Starbase to "level"? Or back to Earth? Or can we say "See Ya!" and not look back? (Well maybe come back all decked out in alien tech and abilities and kick butt in PvP!)
Those, I want to know too.

Also:
Will it be possible to own several ships?
I mean if I increase my rank and want to change my ship for instance to a Galaxy class. What about my old one? Will I have to give my old stargazer to the huge starship-graveyard, or will it be saved in a "personal storage" and if I get nostalgic I can tell my crew to take the old ship out of the garage to take a ride.

Also:
What happens when we get killed/ship gets destroyed?
It was mentioned that we wont lose the current ship and maybe startover at some spawnpoint... maybe at home base, earth...
But that effects will it have? When I get my ship back. Will it be with all the comfigurations and upgrades? Will I lose skill-points when I die?

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 16 Question
10-17-2009, 03:42 AM
im hoping if the same kinda question is asked more than once it might get answered ;-)

Some of you have touched on it,

There are 3 Main Classes, Tactical, Engineer, Science. We know that at first lower rank skills available are broad ie (Energy Weapons) then Rank up and have more detailed types of enegy weapons skills to spend points on.

Can you give us more detail just how much broader they become after you get to next rank, in both space and ground skills
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
This week's topic is player progression. We've talked about this previously in an Ask Cryptic, but we'd like to use this chat for any follow-up questions you'd like to ask the devs in real time.
My question is:

Will Admiral level game-play be significantly different than lower ranking game-play. And if not, then why not?
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltab View Post
1) What will the Klingon ranks be? Will they be like Major, Colonel, and General?
From reading the IKS Gorkon books, I think it would be almost exactly the same as Starfleet. Lieutenant, Lt. Cmdr, Commander, Captain, and then General as opposed to admiral. The only difference is Ensign/footsoldier: bekk.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Can one get a field promotion from another player? I ask because one of the previous studios was thinking of players sharing "prestige points" which would entail promoting one another.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Does rank give you any authority over another player?