Captain
# 111
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
You want to see the diehard trek-is-my-life crowd go bananas? Start a thread on any of the nonsense ideas Gene made in the first seasons of TNG. Seriously, you'll get the craziest threats. (happened to me once in the past. I found it hilarious, though)
Lol - I believe it! I love the Star Trek franchise and being a Trek fan, but I'm not obsessed with it...

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Commander
# 112
03-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Someone forgot one of the most important non-time travel episodes of all; Parallels.

One of those hundreds of thousands of Enterprises might have come from JJ's universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
The new films are not star trek anymore. There is no great moral behind it, its just popcorn-kino.
There hasn't been "great moral" behind Star Trek since TOS; it pops up every now and again, but certainly not in the same way or with the same force it did in TOS.

I'm just glad JJ's trek managed to be more attractive than Enterprise. Not that I would watch a series based off it, but Enterprise was a mediocre concept at best (and terrible at worst).
Captain
# 113
03-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
You want to see the diehard trek-is-my-life crowd go bananas? Start a thread on any of the nonsense ideas Gene made in the first seasons of TNG. Seriously, you'll get the craziest threats. (happened to me once in the past. I found it hilarious, though)
May seem hilirous to you because it probably came out before you time plus, the ideas and theories used in the show could be out of date. In start trek, they use the scientific knowledge in the show, of that time.
Lt. Commander
# 114
03-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
May seem hilirous to you because it probably came out before you time plus, the ideas and theories used in the show could be out of date. In start trek, they use the scientific knowledge in the show, of that time.
Right....not like I should bother telling you this, but I was alive when the first series aired so it wasn't "before my time".

...and yep, it is hilarious. Your post kind of illustrates that.
Captain
# 115
03-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
Someone forgot one of the most important non-time travel episodes of all; Parallels.

One of those hundreds of thousands of Enterprises might have come from JJ's universe.
M-theory's a ***** isn't it?
Captain
# 116
03-05-2013, 06:35 AM
TOS did make a lot of statements about Racism, War, Feminism, the Hippy Flower Power movement or whatever the hell that was called, but it also had a lot of material that was complete nonsense. It took a couple of seasons before TNG finally started to come into its own, when it first came out, I loved the ship, but wished fervently that they would kill off the entire bridge crew, but one thing was always consistent, some of the stories were rubbish and it's science was so full of holes it wasn't even funny. Pseudoscience is not science, it's technobabble.
I'll thank Gene Roddenberry for bringing us Trek but I'm not going to give him a sainthood, he was just another Hollywood type and a lot of his ideas were complete crap.
I enjoyed the Abrams film, but some of the things done in it made it seem like something other than Trek. the new warp sequence although cool looking does not loo like Trek, it looks like Star Wars, the location shooting for most of the parts of the ship looked terrible, they could have green screened with CG sets if they couldn't afford to build them rather than shooting in a brewery and the destruction of Vulcan, one of the most significant races in the entire franchise was overkill, but the movie in general did not have any flaws that were so serious as to make the the film not part of Star Trek. There were a few films in the franchise that were far worse.
Career Officer
# 117
03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Anyone ever thought that JJ didnt give 2 hoots about trek lore and wanted that solid gold butt scratcher? Everyone knows his true love is Star Wars... And lo and behold he got it... suffice to say it is highly unlikely he will do another ST movie... maybe he will relinquish command of the franchise and sell it to someone else to allow them to make a new series, burying the films...Too late...the films have happenned...or are going to happen...or may never happen...depending on our univers...but anyhow.... this is the future of Trek... Gritty, dirty and bloody... lots of fireballs and explosions, shields up, Red Alert...love him or hate him, JJ has re-kindled the star trek spark... might not see it for a while but it will come...
Captain
# 118
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Actually, "Parallels" has been mentioned (ironically enough) multiple times. Each time, it's been ignored by those whose pet ideas about time travel don't include multiple universes.

As for changing ideas of how warp drive looks, we can start with the first pilot, with Jeffrey Hunter as Capt. Pike, where it was depicted as a sort of "stretching" in the vision of those on board, not unlike initial depictions of jump drive in the new Battlestar Galactica. The rest of TOS ignored the issue, other than those streaks that couldn't really have been stars; Gene's explanations included one variant where the ship actually entered a subspace realm where distances were much smaller, and the ship was effectively gigantic. (So, as you can see, nonsense technobabble isn't exactly original to TNG.)

The first movie gave us a circle of rainbow streaks; a similar sort of tunneling effect was used in TWOK, if I recall correctly (my copy went missing a few years back). I believe it was TNG that originated the idea of the visual effect being the ship stretching out, then snapping into a blue blaze with a loud "BOOM", like a New Gods Boom Tube. That became pretty much standard after that, because it looks cool; this game decided to accompany it with a pair of light-streaks, like your starship just peeled out (and, of course, the "temporary wormhole" effect of engaging transwarp).

So, as you can see, there have been a lot of variations on what it looks like when you go to warp, and the one chosen for the most recent move (probably chosen by the director of principal photography, whose job that is, rather than the movie's director, whose job involves the actors) is in fact a bit of a callback to the very first episode. Incidentally, it was also the director of photography (whose name escapes me) who was responsible for all the lens flare; he said he wanted to emphasize how shiny and new the ship was. Hopefully, that means that in the next one the lens flare is toned down a lot, since the Enterprise now has a few trillion miles on her...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 119
03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
I'm one of those Trekkies that grew up on TOS reruns in the '70s. While there are underlying themes about morality and ethics, the overall point of Star Trek is about having an adventure in space. That's why many people find TMP to be boring, yet the majority love TWOK, TUC and FC - all 3 of which have a ton of "pew-pew-pew kah-B00M" in it.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Ensign
# 120
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Hypothesis:

JJ Abrams' Star Trek is in fact an alternate universe.

BUT it's not quite like you might think.

His universe is very very similar to our universe, but with one slight difference: In our universe, Nero's not a total ****. In fact, he's a hero! In JJ's, Nero is a total ****.

So in OUR universe, when the supernova was expanding and Spock tried to stop it with the red matter, Nero heroically sacrificed himself (somehow, possibly pointlessly) to buy Spock some time. Spock succeeded, inadvertently destroying Romulus, and died himself.

In JJ's universe, Nero was all like "that ain't cool, I'ma go get my revenge and stuff." And therefore, OP, you are correct in your understanding of Star Trek's time travel. However JJ's universe still applies just like the mirror universe.