Career Officer
# 21
03-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
Blatant sexism is not funny.

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 03-05-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 22
03-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
Let's see you explain that without resorting to sexism...
He won't be able to.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Empire Veteran
# 23
03-05-2013, 08:12 AM
It would great to have factoonal dialouge choices.

+1 for the RSE needs to be ots on faction
linking it to the feds or the KDF just cheapens it.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 24
03-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
All it means is that they can now insert flavor text when certain things match up. Like the Breen-mobile yielding unique dialogue from Breen NPCs in the Deferi dailies.
To add fuel to the fire:

Cryptic's engine was not designed to handle factions at all. I think it's pretty well known that they used hackery for factions in STO (and that's probably one reason why Klingons occasionally slip through to ESD).

Faction is basically a special case of species.

So, for example, you have:

Ke_Klingon_Male

and

Sf_Klingon_Male

Two species. It's extended elements of the species that cause them to have what players think of as faction, transwarps, and ship access.

In the past, I believe things like Featured Episodes had to be made twice for each faction to have text variations. There was some hacky species dialogue option in The 2800 but that was just in terms of what response buttons displayed. This actually changes the text in the window.

Which means it will be easier to implement cross faction FEs and dress episodes as cross faction. Before, even if the missions were identical, they had to be made twice, I believe. And while that may sound like a copy paste, consider that every time a bug required moving an object or NPC two feet, it probably had to be done twice and iterate through to sets of updates that reconciled internal dev code branches. It also was why Feds and KDF couldn't team. (I believe STFs used another form of hackery.)

This is a pretty significant step towards having missions that can be cooperated on.

For example, maybe even the ability to have cross faction teams in a zone like New Romulus or at least the ability to sync Fed/KDF bug updates easier. It should make porting Fed missions to KDF dramatically easier.

Before, you'd need a separate mission at the code level, I think. And now, you could have Klingons acquire the same mission but have it use patching, dialogue, and alternate objectives triggering off of KDF species.

Because the KDF isn't a faction, per se, at the code level. It's just a bunch of species hacked to look like one. (In contrast to WoW where a bit of database magic would allow Alliance Orcs, because faction and race are separate fields there, whereas in STO, I'm pretty sure anything faction-like is a bunch of inherited traits applied to a separate species. So, WoW can have Pandarens in both factions recognized as the same race and race/faction changes whereas a complication for STO has always been that faction/race are a single field, which makes Fed Klingons and KDF Klingons different species at the engine level.)
Captain
# 25
03-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
The feature episodes will be changed from:
if(klingon_faction) klingon_dialog
if(federation_faction) federation_dialog

to:
if(federation_species) federation_dialog
if(klingon_species) klingon_dialog
if(romulan_species) romulan_dialog
Or how about this:

if(federation_faction) federation_dialogue
if(federation_faction && vulcan_species) vulcan_dialogue
if(klingon_faction) klingon_dialogue
if(klingon_faction && orion_species) orion_dialogue
if(no_faction) nonfaction_dialogue
if(no_faction && romulan_species) romulan_dialogue

Even if, as some suspect, the May Update does not introduce the Romulan FACTION, it does not mean that a playable romulan species that is attached to neither the KDF nor UFP factions is not possible.

A character created as a non-faction character (no_faction) could technically be any species. Players who have unlocked specific lock boxes for cardassians, etc could be allowed to transfer an unpacked Galor to his nonfaction Cardassian character.

The May update might add playable romulans to the C-store... or as a reward for a final New Romulus event to launch at that point, requiring a new character created as non-faction.

It's a way to achieve new playable species that make sense to not be UFP or KDF
Those of us who see things for what they are need to get it through our heads that no matter how much we rant about it, THEY WON'T CHANGE!. We can either live with it, or we can go find some other game to play until it too embraces the same tactics. The reality is, STO is what it is, and it will not be anything else, no matter how much some of us may want it to be...
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
The STO story writer recently said, she got a new technology: The ability to create dialog based on species.

Now that alone does not seem that significant, but if you think about the fact that a Romulan 'faction' has to be able to play all the Features Episodes Series, it suddenly comes together.

The feature episodes will be changed from:
if(klingon_faction) klingon_dialog
if(federation_faction) federation_dialog

to:
if(federation_species) federation_dialog
if(klingon_species) klingon_dialog
if(romulan_species) romulan_dialog

So Romulans will not be a faction. They will be a species!

Maybe there will be 5 missions exclusively for 1 species, but the rest of the game will be faction-neutral for everybody, with different dialogs based on species.

It could simply mean that NPC's will now start calling you by your race. Instead of "Hey, Admiral, come here" or "Hey Starfleet, come here!", they can now do "Hey, Human, come here!" or maybe even slang comments like "Hey Pointy-Ears!"

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Commander
# 27
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
If an NPC calls me a short li'l turd just cause I'm Ferengi, they're gonna get punched.
Ohhhh so tempted , however it'll be nice lol
Captain
# 28
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatela View Post
It could simply mean that NPC's will now start calling you by your race. Instead of "Hey, Admiral, come here" or "Hey Starfleet, come here!", they can now do "Hey, Human, come here!" or maybe even slang comments like "Hey Pointy-Ears!"
"Hey Pointy-Ears!" suggests species-specific dialogue, not just a reference by species, unless there is a specific species designated as Pointy-Ears.

I read "Dialogued based on Species" as what the OP suggested. Specific branches of Dialogue available to specific species. and/or responses to a character based on species.

Assuming that Romulans and Cardassians (Dan mentioned that it would follow that the same mechanics used to introduce Romulans would apply to Cardassians as well) are added as playable species but not necessarily aligned to a faction, then this approach would be very useful in even modifying existing mission dialogue to suit them by attaching and calling species-specific dialogue trees/branches...
Those of us who see things for what they are need to get it through our heads that no matter how much we rant about it, THEY WON'T CHANGE!. We can either live with it, or we can go find some other game to play until it too embraces the same tactics. The reality is, STO is what it is, and it will not be anything else, no matter how much some of us may want it to be...
Captain
# 29
03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
I think it would be related to some (minor) non sense. A boff acting like his scared, while being a Jem'hadar or a Vulcan for example. Also, to allow species discussion.
For example, during Coliseum, you can find a computer with the results of the experiment, according to various species.
One of them was "Betazoid : can sense treason because they are telepathic". I was playing betazoid, and the reman with me was a traitor, as everyone surely know. I didn't have any special discussion about it. It was kinda weird.

It could be used for others factions, but I think the most obvious choice is to involve the player and his BOFF more into the story. Having vulcan making logical comment instead of a generic one, betazoid "feeling" something, etc...

Add a gender check, add them to the foundry, and we could have some nice missions.