Captain
# 11
03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Nice, jonsills...I could've sworn I've actually seen the Bastogne flying around in-game. I really loved Band of Brothers, so I couldn't help noticing that one.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 12
03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Nice, jonsills...I could've sworn I've actually seen the Bastogne flying around in-game. I really loved Band of Brothers, so I couldn't help noticing that one.
You may have seen more than one Bastogne - it comes up as one of the random ship names. That is the name of Grunt's current ship, though. She's not in such rough shape as the ship in my story, but I couldn't resist the punchline.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 13
03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I see.

BTW, just a heads-up to anyone who may be interested...my follow-up to the events of LC #36 for Alyosha has been posted under the title "The Truth in the Illusion."
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Oh...dear.

While I am normally grateful for having the freedom to choose, this is a case of me having waaaaay too many things to choose from. I'm guessing I'll probably do an iteration of Mirror-rorriM, Hidden Agendas or Undeniable Evidence, or I might just go into some backstory with Academy Days. I dunno, there are too many good choices here. This, on top of my ongoing decision as to whether to keep the literary adventures on the old Da Vinci, or to switch to one of my newer in-game ships. Has anyone else felt the need, or managed, to do a ship-switch for literary challenges?
I never felt obliged to make my LC characters & ships match my in-game details. Of course, I started writing these LCs with the intention of freely killing off whoever I wanted, and so far the bloodshed has been minimal. I am planning an eventual command change that would make the LC captain similar (but not the same) as the in-game captain. It might take a few more months to implement though.

Did you name your ship Da Vinci based on the Corps of Engineers novels?
Commander
# 15
03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
I never felt obliged to make my LC characters & ships match my in-game details. Of course, I started writing these LCs with the intention of freely killing off whoever I wanted, and so far the bloodshed has been minimal. I am planning an eventual command change that would make the LC captain similar (but not the same) as the in-game captain. It might take a few more months to implement though.

Did you name your ship Da Vinci based on the Corps of Engineers novels?
Nope. See the latest post in the "What's you ship called and why?" thread as to the Da Vinci's naming.
Captain
# 16
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Well, this was one I was waiting for in a way. STORYTIME!

Way back when we all had the bug that was displaying bridge officer clones, I was scanning the forums and I saw the list of old things. Challenge #6, "Not THAT guy ..." inspired me to write a little short story explaining it for just myself, and perhaps a few friends. I was going to blame it on a crewmember. A holographic malfunction brought on by a rogue Iconian virus.

Then I realized this was something Barclay would do. And that the STO universe had yet to include a Barclay.

This had to change.

And so I wrote this story which I posted here as a spiritual inclusion to the #6 Challenge and posted it on the forums in random discussion. Got a few chuckles, and thought that was it. And then foundry happened.

Since this story was so fun to write, as I was making a foundry test mission on tribble I put a tiny plot with all my experiments involving Barclay as I poked with new and old features. The character wrote herself, after all. Then something amazing happened, people actually were playing my testing mission and enjoying it. 200 plays on TRIBBLE later, I was convinced to remake it on the Holodeck server.

Thus, "A Will and A Barclay" was born. My most popular foundry mission with over 11k + plays. The spin-off mission "One Too Many" winning a Foundry Challenge and a Spotlight.

So, that was it. This story inspired by Challenge 6, which I didn't get to take part in, among other things was the original conception of the character and Foundry Series involving Amanda Barclay. It's still fun for me to go back and see where it all began, and I am elated to include it with a redux look at Challenge #6.

Goes to show these things can inspire something BIG.

Last edited by designationxr377; 03-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Captain
# 17
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Nice!

You know what I found myself thinking of as you described Barclay wearing Torrok's image?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERwnA8VfFM

And cool to see where the series started!

Captain
# 18
03-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post

You know what I found myself thinking of as you described Barclay wearing Torrok's image?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERwnA8VfFM
Then I have accomplished something great. : ]
Commander
# 19
03-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Excellent.
There was one past LC that I always wanted to write for, did the outline for the story... and then didn't follow through before the deadline. A second chance, you say? I'm there.
Captain
# 20
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
marcusdkane--I think I'm starting to see a potential use for Marcus in a framing story for my response to this challenge. It's too bad collaborative entries aren't permitted (as far as I know) where both characters' inner thoughts can be captured because I would've absolutely loved to see this from Marcus' perspective, but I will still at least want to ask you some questions as to how Marcus will react to various things he hears, or impressions he may get of a young Ensign Strannik. What do you think?