Career Officer
# 11
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrunner View Post
2: The Borg can adapt to fire. That's ridiculous. If the Borg can't adapt to a holographic Tommy gun (Star Trek: First Contact), then they can't adapt to fire.
There is a difference between Plasma and Kinetic Weaponry. But I think a better argument would be to mention how the Borg can survive the attacks from the flamethrower, but die instantly when they fall into the Plasma Floor in Infected.

But its obvious if the Borg weren't able to adapt to this weapon, then everyone would use Flamethrowers against the Borg.
Empire Veteran
# 12
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrunner View Post
2: The Borg can adapt to fire. That's ridiculous. If the Borg can't adapt to a holographic Tommy gun (Star Trek: First Contact), then they can't adapt to fire
The Borg can't adapt to a Tommy gun because the bullets were not made of energy. And in every case where the Borg were ever physically assaulted, they did not adapt to that either. This is also the reason why Borg cannot adapt to melee in-game.

In case of all energy weapons and energy-related things used as weapons (deflector dish superweapon from Best of Both Worlds), yes, they adapt easily. I think it's okay that they adapt to fire and plasma, as they are in a way, just different forms of energy (and yes I know plasma is the fourth state of matter, but Borg adapt to that too in-game )
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Republic Veteran
# 13
03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
One of the novels I wrote prior to the change of management at Star Trek Novel Central delt with Borg adaptation.

Basically they can and will adapt to anything you throw at them given a big enough sample. A tommy-gun and a single Klingon with a fancy knife are not enough of a threat to warrant adaptation.

Suddenly deploy mini-guns and claymore-swords on the front-line and make a dent in the Borg advance? Yeah they'll adapt.

The story I wrote dealt with this -- there is nothing the Borg cannot adapt to that is what makes them the ultimate threat. They may choose to ignore you for now, but when they come for you NOTHING will stop them. Not guns, not swords, not even silly-string.

As originally written the Borg were supposed to be an unstoppable force of nature that could not be stopped. Same way as a core-breach was originally supposed to be an utter freak of an accident and nearly impossible to cause. Not the engine-glitch of the week. As it stood First Contact and Voyager watered them down into shambling zombie-clowns and pitiful villains-of-the-week.

The best novel that ever delt with Borg was Vendetta by Peter David. That is how the Borg were supposed to be. Only an intervention by a higher-power could stop the advance and even then the Borg gradually adapted to what was thrown at them.

My personal two cents worth -- and nearly soft-canon at that too. If the %&*& management hadn't gone overboard with the relaunch stuff my story Force Of Nature would have seen the light of day as a TNG numbered novel.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Career Officer
# 14
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Primary fire does not drain fuel bar, is this intended? Also, i suggest adjusting the proc rate of it since it IS a flame THROWER, and thus implies that the weapon utilizes fire as its primary method of dealing damage.
On the subject of Abramsverse stuff in STO: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07...l-rivera-part/
And more reasons against JJ Trek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ9piVgtWM
And even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOjxvQPQNQ
Captain
# 15
03-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3001 View Post
Primary fire does not drain fuel bar, is this intended? Also, i suggest adjusting the proc rate of it since it IS a flame THROWER, and thus implies that the weapon utilizes fire as its primary method of dealing damage.
First of all, i am glad the flamethrower is getting attention. This is one weapon i look forward to purchasing.

As for changing the damage type to "fire", would that not make the damage output susceptible to the fire extinguisher the federation can get on a mission?
Career Officer
# 16
03-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Flamethrower? Really? Dont you guys think there is a limit to what star trek universe can take and that a plasma flsmethrower at least in fed side hands crosses that line?
Captain
# 17
03-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
Flamethrower? Really? Dont you guys think there is a limit to what star trek universe can take and that a plasma flsmethrower at least in fed side hands crosses that line?
Why? It's not as if the federation suddenly made the Varon-T disruptor the standard weapon.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Just tested the Flamethrower wanted to leave a few comints, first i noticed was the borg adapted to it long before it showed above there heads, also I think it is extreamly weak, it needs to be greatly boosted, also the autofire wasnt working, tried everything i usely do to get my other weapons to autofire when they stop and nothing worked to get it to auto fire, I love the idea but think it could and should be alot better, from what i seen it seams to be the weakest weapon in game. hope this info helps.
Career Officer
# 19
03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I use the flame thrower on my captain the targeting is not so great the cloud of plasma makes it hard to see the proximity of your target, i wish the spray was more concentrated more like a blow tortch. The borg should not be able to adapt to a plasma torch. I will have to run assimilation and see how my boffs do with it, the borg do seem to adapt very fast to this weapon.
Career Officer
# 20
03-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Tested the Plasma Thrower on some True Way terrorists

1) Low damage, I'd be better off using a pulsewave.

2) Good AoE, great for enemies that like to cluster or clearing enemies that glitch so that I can't see or target them.

3) Ammo capacity is decent with the current low damage.

4) Needs to set targets on fire.

5) Gave the weapon briefly to a Boff... she found the trigger and didn't let go of it. Boffs need constant "attack target" commands to be even remotely useful with the plasma thrower.