Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 31
03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
But before you say the game's not doing well, you might want to back it up with finaicial records as proof Just saying
In all fairness, why would you hold his post to a standard you don't apply to your own posts?

This is the interwebz after all. If you can keep assuming and posting happy-happy things about Cryptic, some other forum guy can assume Doom-Crying things about other developers, right?

And, for the record, those are some pretty silly Gorn. They look more like the raptors that trapped the kids in the kitchen in the first Jurassic Park.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,037
# 32
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
The needs of the plot outweigh the needs of the realistic.
I guess that means you can't handle the truth.
The Federation is not unbeatable.

Last edited by misterde3; 03-06-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,782
# 33
03-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Eh... just as a counter point, Species 8472 can use consoles with their stupidly long fingers and three legs. So why can their not be variations of the Gorn... Humans have plenty of variations, ethnic backgrounds etc... could this not be the same for the Gorn?

To be blunt, if the Gorn were that intelligent, they would not be slaves to the Klingon's currently. Even the Federation has beat the Klingon's into a stalemate... are you telling me the Gorn Hegemony are incapable of this? Bull$^$?

I certainly would not let my intelligent, ancient and culturally based race be taken over by a bunch of battle-mad barbarians and technological inferiors. The Klingon's get most of their technology by stealing it from other races they have conquered and still use old ships like B'Rel and K'tinga in battle.

No wonder they get easily sidestepped by the Federation every single time... DS9 Season 4 anyone?

Lets not even count the time when a whole Fleet of Klingon Ships were incapable of overcoming one Cardassian space station... says better things about the Cardassians to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYePPtRE9eQ
OP, species 8472 aka 'Undine' come from fluidic space and the ships they use are made of biological matter and are allive sort of speak - in a very different way it can be reffered to "Moya" if you watched Farscape. I really don't want to know what kind of consoles the Undine use on them!

Yes, humans and other races have variations, skinn colour, ethnic background...but these Gorn and the regular Star Trek Gorn are so different that the only comparison I can make is having playable Neanderthals as a part of the human race.

Now, I see that you're a Gorn fan, and that's cool, I myself fancy the Nausicaans because they're space pirates, but you have to keep it real.
Comparing the power of the Gorn Hegemony to the Federation is just wrong. The Gorn Hegemony has never been that much of a major player in the interstellar happenings in Star Trek. To assume that if the Federation can withold Klingon attack so can the Gorn Hegemony is just not right. The Federation is one of the major powers in Star Trek if not the No1. interstellar power out there.

Now about Klingons, I get the feeling that you have the wrong impression about them.
The Klingon society is led by the warrior caste, but that doesn't mean that this is the only thing they have going on. And if you call them barbarians you really need to re-watch some Klingon episodes from the series or read a couple of Star Trek books based on the Klingon Empire.
Technological inferriors? Ty'Gokor anyone?? That's where Klingons develop their ships and tech.
The Negh'Var - the canon flagship of the Klingon Empire was developed in Ty'Gokor by a team of engineers led by a female engineer named Kurak.
If they still use B'rel and K'tinga and remain one of the major powers in Star Trek, what does that say about the level of their technology?
And on another note, if Klingons were mindless barbarians, how do you explain the fact that Klingon Intelligence was the one who found out that the Founders had infiltrated the Cardassian ruling council? Not Section 31, not Tal'Shiar, not the Obsidian Order, but plain old Klingon Intelligence?
And again in STO, who was that found out the Undine infiltration in the major powers in the Alpha & Beta quadrants?
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,300
# 34
03-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
no...hell ****ing no

at least the STO gorn actually look like anthro lizards; those THINGS look like they came out of alien vs. predator
What he said.

The Gorn have been a space-faring race for at least 500,000 years. They've evolved a bit beyond gun-toting Utahraptors.


"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,300
# 35
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
To be blunt, if the Gorn were that intelligent, they would not be slaves to the Klingon's currently. Even the Federation has beat the Klingon's into a stalemate... are you telling me the Gorn Hegemony are incapable of this? Bull$^$?

I certainly would not let my intelligent, ancient and culturally based race be taken over by a bunch of battle-mad barbarians and technological inferiors. The Klingon's get most of their technology by stealing it from other races they have conquered and still use old ships like B'Rel and K'tinga in battle.

No wonder they get easily sidestepped by the Federation every single time... DS9 Season 4 anyone?

Lets not even count the time when a whole Fleet of Klingon Ships were incapable of overcoming one Cardassian space station... says better things about the Cardassians to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYePPtRE9eQ
First off, the Gorn are not "slaves" to the Klingons. They're a vassal/protectorate. And the reason they were eventually defeated (after a decades-long and very brutal war) was because Undine infiltrators had replaced many of the Gorn's military leader.

The Klingons use B'Rels and K't'ingas because they still work. They are a very practical race, with an "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. That doesn't stop them from building bigger and better.

The way I look at it, took a race as badass as the Klingons to conquer the Gorn Hegemony (and to do that they needed to lay siege to Gornar for three years.) And it takes the almighty Federation to hold off the Klingon Empire.

Oh and that Cardassian space station? Lovingly spruced up by one Senior Chief Specialist Miles Edward O'Brien and packing the firepower equivelant to half-a-dozen Galaxy-class ships. That's a pretty tough nut to crack.


"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,270
# 36
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
They are a very practical race, with an "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.
"And if it does break, repeatedly slam it with your fist and hope it fixes itself"
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,300
# 37
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Now THIS, on the other hand, is a bit more like it. (From the same game as OP - check out the Sentinel on the bottom!)


"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 106
# 38
03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Look at these bad-bois!

http://www.startrek.com/article/happy-gorn-day-yall

Enough said why this game isn't doing so well...
Those "gorn" are nothing more than Jurassic Park rip-offs that bear no resemblence to either the TOS, ENT, or STO Gorn. Even that other game's description betrays their take on Gorn as nothing more than Alien-esque, Dinos meatshields. I understand that this game isn't puerile, or derivative enough for some people, but changing our playable Gorn to match that other game's cliched dinosaurs would certainly get it closer to that level.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,270
# 39
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Now THIS, on the other hand, is a bit more like it. (From the same game as OP - check out the Sentinel on the bottom!)
the sentinel looks okay, but the commander's texture needs a reworking...right now it looks like he's covered in scales on some parts of his body, hide on other parts, and skin on the last few parts

in short, it looks like a frankenlizard
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,300
# 40
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azyurion View Post
Those "gorn" are nothing more than Jurassic Park rip-offs that bear no resemblence to either the TOS, ENT, or STO Gorn. Even that other game's description betrays their take on Gorn as nothing more than Alien-esque, Dinos meatshields. I understand that this game isn't puerile, or derivative enough for some people, but changing our playable Gorn to match that other game's cliched dinosaurs would certainly get it closer to that level.
I can understand the rationale behind the raptor-Gorn in JJTrek game. We know the Gorn have biologically distinct castes. It could be the "infantry" caste is relatively dumb, more dromaeosaurid in appearance, and smaller than then the "warrior/leader" or "techie" castes.

I quess I would actually be okay with a toned-down version of these guys in the game to replace the "Trooper" and "Ranger" NPCs we have now (which look painfully like juvenile warriors, especially the Rangers.)


"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:25 PM.