Captain
# 71
03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Yeah, I never played the dynaverse stuff (wish I had, tbh), but I never even liked playing Romulans in the PvE/campaign. Romulan ships always seemed to have weaker shields, weaker disruptors, and the plasma torps were too unreliable. They were just as inaccurate as other torps, but had the added disadvantage of taking so long to recharge.

I'm torn as to whether I liked Fed or Klingon more. I liked the Fed campaign more (bigger battles), but the Klingon ships were cool.
I can't even remember the campaigns but the PvP was so good I remember some battles like it happened yesterday (tho over 5 years ago). The Klinks were always my first choice to play but thought I would try the romulans because I always liked the TOS warbird (BoP). I had hopes STO would become a suitable replacement for dynaverse, and I'm still waiting.

The forum PvP is much better in STO tho.
<grin>
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
It may help to remind some that in other games the Plasma torps were a major appeal as they were among the most powerful available, and also the least useful because they took so long to arm, required much more power to launch and had a significantly shorter range- NONE of those qualities are similarity modeled in STO. In STO the plasma torpedo moves slowly and is also the second least powerful torpedo in the game but is otherwise the same as every other torpedo.

Ya, I used to play a rommie on dyna until the futility of it sunk in.
The downtime was the counter, but you could kill in one pass if you did it right. Again, ISC was the best of plasma races because they used plasma in concert with other weapons, Roms and Gorn used almost all plasma.

As for STO, all the torps are too slow. I outrun not just plasma and tricos with evasive+ engine, but aslo every other torp. And thats stupid. Weapons (Energy included) should hit tgts faster and stop heat seeking across the map. Just watch the fed scorts out run your shots for long enough to cloak
Captain
# 73
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alopen View Post
The downtime was the counter, but you could kill in one pass if you did it right. Again, ISC was the best of plasma races because they used plasma in concert with other weapons, Roms and Gorn used almost all plasma.

As for STO, all the torps are too slow. I outrun not just plasma and tricos with evasive+ engine, but aslo every other torp. And thats stupid. Weapons (Energy included) should hit tgts faster and stop heat seeking across the map. Just watch the fed scorts out run your shots for long enough to cloak
You know it, get caught offguard and those plasma-chukkers kill you dead on the spot. ISC was great with their variety but their ships had thin skin compared to the Klinks.

The Klinks also had the best spam launcher in the game- the D5D.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 03-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Captain
# 74
03-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I can't even remember the campaigns but the PvP was so good I remember some battles like it happened yesterday (tho over 5 years ago). The Klinks were always my first choice to play but thought I would try the romulans because I always liked the TOS warbird (BoP). I had hopes STO would become a suitable replacement for dynaverse, and I'm still waiting.

The forum PvP is much better in STO tho.
<grin>
The gist is this: Klingon campaign - you're a member of a powerful house, and you uncover a plot by your brother to disrupt the alliance between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. You have to work to stop him from destroying Unity Station, and then later kill him in 1v1 combat between your ships.

Romulan Campaign: You're a rising star in the Tal Shiar, and engage in numerous covert operations against the Klingons and the Federation, eventually stealing a mimic-cloak device and carrying out raids against both entities posing as allies. Eventually you destroy Unity Station.

Federation Campaign: You're a member of Starfleet, working to unveil the real culprits behind the destruction of Unity Station. You eventually start working with Captain Picard to 'investigate' the Romulans, engaging in several larger fleet-sized actions against Romulan saboteurs and Romulan defenses. Culminates in a large battle involving several waves of Romulan opponents.

I liked the Federation one, mostly because it was more 'pew pew' against more enemies, and more variables as a result.
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-07-2013, 07:42 AM
This thread makes me wanna reinstall SFC2. Anyone know of any issues with Win7?
Captain
# 76
03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
There's probably some issues, because of how old the game is. Starfleet Command 2: Empires at War is 13 years old by now, and several OSs generations behind. It could run if you know how to configure your computer to run games that old, but it probably won't be ideal.

Similar issues with Starfleet Command 3, it's 11 years old. I tried to play it on my comp a little while back, and it encountered some problems. Either my disk is damaged, or I have to change a few things to make it compatible. . .and I can't be arsed to find out what I need to do
Lt. Commander
# 77 Agreed
03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
And, regarding the RSE faction concept in general: I feel the best approach would be to keep RSE as end-game only, something that probably should've been done with the KDF at the start until Cryptic was ready to advance it further.

End-game only means levels 40-50, 5-6 ships (two of each 'class' and maybe their own carrier?), 1-2 Romulan-themed story arcs, and access to the universal content (including STFs and fleet missions).
I second that idea. I believe that Cryptic needs to make an RSE faction available to the Community...some of us have been patiently waiting for over 3 years. I also agree that building a full faction experience would only result in the same mess that we saw with the KDF. Of course, without some seriously competitive PVP ships and skills, it won't be considered a success by the core players, imho.
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Not to be rude, Roach, but the words that the honorable Azetbur said were, 'Homo-sapiens only club'.

Anyways, one major thing I feel is that a good majority of these KDF-hating Feds seem to not get, is that the KDF is for some reason wanting 'special treatment' or whatever, and take ALL of Cryptic's attention away from the Fed side.

Not true in the slightest. KDF doesn't want special treatment, it wants EQUAL treatment. Or at least a lot closer to equal than we have now. We just want KDF-centric missions of our own, rough KDF-equivalents to some of the newer Fed ships, and other such things.

Once the KDF is treated equally to the Fed side, to me that is what I will consider the faction to be finished, whether or not there is 1-20 (I don't consider that a major issue, and fully expect the Romulan faction to have that happen as well).

Equality is the real thing we want more than anything else, once that is given, and stays given, then most of these complaints will vanish very quickly.

yes equality. agreed. inequality really shows up in pvp, once again, if its a benefit to klingon....get rid of it. On tribble they are taking away rom boffs cloak dmg buff. yet keeping the tac rom boff crit stack. why you ask? because one is only useful to klingons. Yet they keep fed only leadership stacking...why you ask? because it only benefits fedbears.

its crap like this and fed only uber ship releases that really slap kdf players in the face. its so blatant of a bias its laughable
Empire Veteran
# 79
03-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsupreme79 View Post
yes equality. agreed. inequality really shows up in pvp, once again, if its a benefit to klingon....get rid of it. On tribble they are taking away rom boffs cloak dmg buff. yet keeping the tac rom boff crit stack. why you ask? because one is only useful to klingons. Yet they keep fed only leadership stacking...why you ask? because it only benefits fedbears.

its crap like this and fed only uber ship releases that really slap kdf players in the face. its so blatant of a bias its laughable
total bs i agree
Captain
# 80
03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverashes1 View Post
total bs i agree
I really dont get the KDF-Faction. You have a nice sum of ships (Battlecruiser as opposed no normal cruisers on FED side), you get dilithium easier than FED, you have nice gadgets (Plasmonic leech, Aceton etc.), the only thing you lack is a story thats as big as the FEDs one.

I think you are just too greedy
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...