Rihannsu
# 51
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Don't blasting holes Building 2's roof with orbital strikes, and burning down his rhodedendrons with plasma grenades and endothermic induction fields...
which one's building 2, the exchange area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
# 52
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
*has a sudden mental image of a bunch of starfleet officers running all over the academy grounds, trampling grass, ripping up flowers, knocking benches and plaques over in their haste to scan anomalies while a crotchety old man is running after them waving gardening tools and swearing viciously*
That totally needs to be an event.

But to the OP, those Gorn look terrible. As in bad. As in terribad. As in whoever greenlighted these things deserves to be shot bad. As in they look like black lagoon creature bad.

Actually, I take that back, I would much rather play as the fish man, ape, thing.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 53
03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
That totally needs to be an event.
it is an event...there's just no crotchety old man chasing after you swearing up a storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Empire Veteran
# 54
03-06-2013, 07:38 PM
FYI There are different Races of the Gorn.. Green Scaled, Pale Green, Brown, Blue, etc. That is the races I believe yar talking bout. They came from different planets for homeworlds but named Gornar as their home planet and they all went there. That is when they mixed.
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Captain
# 55
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
it is an event...there's just no crotchety old man chasing after you swearing up a storm
Yeah, but then it's no fun ...
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 56
03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
That's my point. It's not an event without the crotchety old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blagorm View Post
FYI There are different Races of the Gorn.. Green Scaled, Pale Green, Brown, Blue, etc. That is the races I believe yar talking bout. They came from different planets for homeworlds but named Gornar as their home planet and they all went there. That is when they mixed.
Wha......? Where did that come from?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 57
03-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post

Wha......? Where did that come from?
Eh, there are various soft-canon sources for the origin of the Gorn, and details of the species and the Hegemony. There are a few inconsistencies but not near as many as with Borg origin theories...

(Most of the following information came the Starfleet Command video games, and a handful of TOS novels and comics. I backfilled the rest with my own speculation, but it seems logical especially based on in-game observations of the STO Gorn. As you know apart from TOS: "Arena" and ENT: "In a Mirror Darkly Pt. II" canon references to the Gorn are extremely scarce.)

Anyway, near as I can figure, the Gorn were an ancient spacefaring saurian race that ruled over a decent chunk of the Beta quadrant as much as 500,000 years ago. And then for some reason they regressed technologically and territorially until they eventually inhabited only three planets that soon lost the technology for interstellar travel.

Eventually they rediscovered warp drive on at least one of these planets, and the people there set out to explore their corner of space, and discovered their cousins on two nearby planets. Despite some evolutionary divergence they were fundamentally genetically identical. They determined that none of their planets was their true homeworld. They eventually found Gornar (or S'sgaron in the Gorn language), a planet with fossil records that matched their own evolutionary tree, and reestablished their homeworld there. They established the Gorn Hegemony, and set out to recolonize surrounding space.

Their first contact with another intelligent species was with the Paravians. Hostilities quickly ensued and the Paravians were soon wiped out.

Some time after the Sundering on Vulcan the Gorn reached the Alpha Quadrant and encountered the Romulans. They fought over worlds they each wanted to colonize, including several that the Gorn believed had belonged to their ancestors. The Gorn's encounters with the Romulans clouded their view of mammals, and they began avoiding them wherever possible.
The Gorn regained most of their ancient territorial claims but did not colonize very many worlds unless they offered resources they needed.

Their history from the 23rd century and on is fairly well established beginning with first contact with the Federation on Cestus III in 2267. From there on their relationship with the Federation is generally much more cordial.

The Hegemony is ruled by a King and is set up as a parliamentary monarchy. The Gorn are a patriarchal society; females are rarely placed in positions of authority,
although they do have great status and importance. The Gorn revere a female deity called S'Yahazah the Egg Bringer, who along with the figure known as "the Great Father" they believe to be the founder of their race. (The Great Father tried to eat the first eggs, and was banished into space by S'Yahazah. He is not worshiped but is remembered as an object of fear. Gorn mothers often threaten naughty children that the Great Father will return and gobble them up if they don't behave.)

The Gorn are known to fall under at least two biologically distinct castes but the degree of differentiation between them is not known. Different families or clans have different scale colors. Those belonging to the noble families have bluish or yellowish scales. Males grow head-spines when they reach maturity (typically at about 24 standard years of age) which later recede as they age. Females are larger as with most reptilians but due the social structure of the Hegemony are rarely given positions of authority. However those born into the military caste are often assigned to command squads of infantry. The Gorn are extremely long-lived; reaching the age of 500 is not uncommon. They continually grow throughout their lifetime, typically adding about one centimeter in height every year after they mature.

As a species they are known to be patient and pragmatic. They often seem to reach decisions slowly, carefully weighing options before settling on the right course. But once they reach a decision it is extremely difficult to dissuade them. They are also well-known to possess excellent memory.

"Look at all the pretty lights!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 58
03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Eh, there are various soft-canon sources for the origin of the Gorn, and details of the species and the Hegemony. There are a few inconsistencies but not near as many as with Borg origin theories...

(Most of the following information came the Starfleet Command video games, and a handful of TOS novels and comics. I backfilled the rest with my own speculation, but it seems logical especially based on in-game observations of the STO Gorn. As you know apart from TOS: "Arena" and ENT: "In a Mirror Darkly Pt. II" canon references to the Gorn are extremely scarce.)
The inconsistencies come from the source material for Star Fleet Command: Starfleet Battles by Amarillo Design Bureau (ADB).
The backstory for the Gorn in SFC is identical to that from SFB.
Problem is that not even ADB considers their material to be Star Trek.
So it's not even soft-canon.
Commander
# 59
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
+1 lol

OP, the Gorn are suposed to be very intelligent and the way the STO Gorn looks it kinda' emphasizes that.
Those Gorn you posted look like the most intelligent thing they could do is chew on a rock. ...which is actually not that suprising comming from J.J. Trek.

+1 well put!
Captain
# 60
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Quote:

That is possibly the wonkiest explanation for the Gorn I have ever heard. I mean, they're giant awesome space godzillas. Do they even need an explanation in the first place?