Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 578
# 141
03-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Some very good stuff in the this thread and most importantly a lot of sage comments and insights.

Former member of the Cryptic Friends & Family testing team. Sadly it simply vanished one day.
Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,421
# 142
03-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orinz View Post
robmc, I have seen the screen shots of your load outs, I was wondering what Type of Plasma DHCs are you using? Also could the Plasma set up you have beat a Antiproton [Borg] load out on the same ship?

Thank you for your advice and help.
I am using standard Plasma dhc [Acc] [CrtD]x2

In PvE it can out preform antiprotons in raw damage due to the embassy consoles and romulan set bonuses since they only effect plasma. That gives me +175 plasma damage where there is nothing that can boost anti proton past the +150 antiproton damage. That raw damage is also reflected in the crit bonuses. Also mk xii purple plasma consoles are a whole lot cheaper then the antiproton equivalent. It is also harder to get mk xii ap dhcs where the plasma is also easier to obtain.

PvP is a different story due to higher plasma resistances due to borg based gear. It is hard to say if the plasma boost offsets the resistances. that requires more testing. These resistances npcs do not have.

The passive crit that ap has over the plasma proc does not matter to me because my global crit from the romulan boffs more then make up for that shortage.

The questions is do you pvp or pve. pve plasma is definitely preferred.

Edit: also the hyper plasma torp is useless in a PvP against a FAW Cruiser.

Last edited by robdmc; 03-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 143
03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspartan1 View Post
Some very good stuff in the this thread and most importantly a lot of sage comments and insights.
Thanks for taking the time to read. I've tried to keep things on track and factual as possible, as there is so much disinformation spread in chat channels. Not intentionally, but some people just assume and the info gets spread and hurts others. With this thread, any newb can atleast get setup to do STF's. If they just ask a few questions and do a few on normal to pickup the rules, they're good to go. Perhaps I will post some of the STF cardinal rules for each of them such as the 10-15% rule for infected.

P.S. As far as your placement of the word "sage". I don't think I've heard that word use outside of the use as a spice in some time. Well played sir.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 144
03-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trathnona View Post
The Positron Deflector I have gives to shields, and structural so I am good on that front.
The Positron deflectors standard stats give a bonus to shield cap, regen and structural integrity, however the addition of the [SIF] and [Shds] and/or [Em] bonuses only increases it. I can't find a reason not to as there's not many other bonuses that help an escort with the exception of drain resistance and knock/repel resistance to a lesser extent.
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 578
# 145
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgorillapx View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read. I've tried to keep things on track and factual as possible, as there is so much disinformation spread in chat channels. Not intentionally, but some people just assume and the info gets spread and hurts others. With this thread, any newb can atleast get setup to do STF's. If they just ask a few questions and do a few on normal to pickup the rules, they're good to go. Perhaps I will post some of the STF cardinal rules for each of them such as the 10-15% rule for infected.

P.S. As far as your placement of the word "sage". I don't think I've heard that word use outside of the use as a spice in some time. Well played sir.
Cool. For what it is worth, I once considered making a tactical officers handbook with specific builds for different roles and feature different specialized variants as well as weapon damage and armor tables with various set comparisons. Sort of a one-stop shop for old and new tac players alike. Moreover I thought it would be nice to add screenshots and some other nice "pro" things all with a distinctive ST flavor much like SpiderMike's Ship images but sadly I've never gotten around to doing so. It would sure be nice to see someone make it happen. Once all the raw data is organized then it would simply be a matter of layout and graphics. I was even considering adding a combat tactics section as well with race specific load-outs and attack pattern movements as well as team variant versions but I digress....

Former member of the Cryptic Friends & Family testing team. Sadly it simply vanished one day.
Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 920
# 146
03-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I would REALLY welcome some advice on how to take damage without blowing up lol
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
# 147
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspartan1 View Post
Cool. For what it is worth, I once considered making a tactical officers handbook with specific builds for different roles and feature different specialized variants as well as weapon damage and armor tables with various set comparisons. Sort of a one-stop shop for old and new tac players alike. Moreover I thought it would be nice to add screenshots and some other nice "pro" things all with a distinctive ST flavor much like SpiderMike's Ship images but sadly I've never gotten around to doing so. It would sure be nice to see someone make it happen. Once all the raw data is organized then it would simply be a matter of layout and graphics. I was even considering adding a combat tactics section as well with race specific load-outs and attack pattern movements as well as team variant versions but I digress....
I would LOVE to see this happen, getting good solid advice from pro's is the best way to enjoy the game and help out team mates.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,421
# 148
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
I would REALLY welcome some advice on how to take damage without blowing up lol
Well the best tanking build is an Eng in a sci vessel. There are also 3 skill tree items if you want to tank starship Hull plating, Starship armor reinforcement and starship threat control they all add to your passive resistances. I will use one of my builds again as an example.

Basic resistance (With 1 Neutronium Alloy, Starship Hull plating 9, Starship armor reinforcement 3 and starship threat control 9)
Resistances With aux2sif2

Polarize Hull
Hazzard emitters 2
Or all of them but with diminishing returns

The other option is speed tanking by boosting your bonus defence usually with a hyper eng. There are abilities like evasive manuvers That also boost this number as well.

This ship is also a heal boat with development lab scientists and also looking at my regen rate with a nurse doff as well. This build has not done any reputation and has no embassy gear and is therefore not complete.

The problem with focusing on durability is that you have almost no dps to draw agro even with treat control. The nice thing about transphasics is that you get to do more hull damage initially until the shield facing on a cube or donatra drops giving you a bit of priority.

Speed tanking is also hard to do unless you are broad siding in an stf because the targets barely move.

This level of tanking and healing is also not possible on an escort which is completely off track for this thread which is why it has not been mentioned as its focus is on stf's, escorts and damage. this build is more of a pvp healer or a no-win-scenario crowd control freighter healer. Spec'ing is also very different once catered to the direction you are on.


As far as an escort is concerned for not blowing up that is why I use -th embassy consoles and choose crf over csv. When focusing on 1 target at a time you will usually only draw the agro of 1 target. NPCs usually only use focus fire abilities and the last thing you want is 6 spheres shooting at you. It also allows cruisers with FAW to do their tanking job by having more agro. Most escorts can not survive a mob firing on it.

The only other thing to remember is that these ships have firing ranges and if you are 9.97 km away from the gate it cant shoot you. Also the weapons fire follows the same path in both direction. If I am at a stand still My hyper plasma torp will travel on the same path as the borg hyt and they will collide with each other every time (Assuming the borg cube is not moving like in infected or the cure, tac cube move so slow it is like they arnt moving). Also if they collide right next to the cube the AoE from their hyt will do significant damage to the cube. Not only do I not get hit but it back fires on them.

Last edited by robdmc; 03-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
# 149
03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post

The questions is do you pvp or pve. pve plasma is definitely preferred.
I have focused on PvE mostly, but have been looking in to PvP here lately. Might look more into PvP once my fleet reaches Tier 4 shipyard (going to be slow, I feel like I have been doing most of the dilithium for the projects but thats a different story on it's own)

As for the Plasma I see what you mean by cheaper and with the added bonus from the Fleet Sci Cons it would add up alot more. Your Skill build that is posted in this thread, would that be Ideal for using plasma, if I decide to try it?

If wondering my Current Build - http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=mtdorinz_0
The BOFFs are kind of copied from robdmc Screenshots but with a couple tweeks while using the Mobius Destroyer. (No Romulan BOFF's still 1d, 17h till I can get them in fleet)
The AP DHCs and Turrets are all [Borg]
The Sci Consoles are the Fleet Emitter Array Mk X [ShH] [-Th]
Overall survivability I personally feel is a bit better than with my Fleet Patrol Escort, I am accounting that to the LtC Science BOFF.



I also have a Fleet Patrol Escort, Jem'Hadar Heavy Escort Carrier, Blockade Escort. I can get a Fleet Tactical Escort at anytime, but have some time till the Fleet Advanced Escort becomes available in my Fleet.

Last edited by orinz; 03-07-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,421
# 150
03-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orinz View Post
No Romulan BOFF's still 1d, 17h till I can get them in fleet
I would use human boffs in the mean time. the extra hull regen rate is nice.

The rest of you build is ok. most of the tweaks in your build are more personal preference. Plasmas only advantage is cost and embassy Consoles. The Zero Point Energy Conduit works well with the Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher. I assume you are still waiting for it in the rep system. In the mean time the ap weapons you have are fine. With the investment you already made the real question is are you going to keep building your ap or is it too much and worth switching over and rebuilding. (I know I built mine one peace at a time starting with borg weapons as well) Both options are legit at the moment. Keep in mind that plasma is only the biggest weapon at the moment and as they expand the game the other will probably get more perks. Plasma was first. who knows maybe we will get a sci ap console in a future fleet holding,

Last edited by robdmc; 03-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 AM.