Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Starfleet Veteran
Not sure if this has been previously reported, but I couldn't find any recent bug reports about this issue.

When a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier is fitted with a Jem'Hadar Mk XII shield, all ship graphics customizations like hull color and patterns (Andromeda, Orion, Leo, etc) are replaced by default, bare ship graphics settings. Yes, if you disable the JH Shield graphics, the problem goes away, but the JH Shield should not be resetting the JH Dread's graphics to out-of-the-box defaults. At the very least, the JH Shield should present its own unique graphics or ship textures. This glitch was not observed on any other ship models (though I didn't test for it extensively).
Captain
# 2
03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
This isn't actually a bug: Setpiece visuals tend to overwrite bare hull customizations. With the Jem'Hadar ships, this is most apparent because the Jem'Hadar look *IS* the basic look of the ship.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
This isn't actually a bug: Setpiece visuals tend to overwrite bare hull customizations. With the Jem'Hadar ships, this is most apparent because the Jem'Hadar look *IS* the basic look of the ship.
If this is the case, then why is it not happening to other hull types besides the JH Dread? Also, set pieces tend to have distinct graphics, the most obvious being Reman shields. If the JH Shields must have graphics present, then the JH-Dread texture #2 should be active since really emphasizes the Jem'Hadar ship's standard purple color as opposed to the dull grey default version.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2013, 11:55 PM
If you want to see the changes you have applied to the ship and not the appearance the shield gives, right click the shield and hit the *Disable Visuals* option this will let you see the changes you made to the ship .
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
If you want to see the changes you have applied to the ship and not the appearance the shield gives, right click the shield and hit the *Disable Visuals* option this will let you see the changes you made to the ship .
This is my point: You should not have to disable the JH Shield graphics at all to see hull pattern customizations. They should co-exist like other set shields and hull patterns.

Borg set shield does NOT have this bug -- when I equip a full borg set, I can still see Leo patterns on my Mobius Destroyer's hull in addition to the Borg shield's green hull high-lights.
Lieutenant
# 6
03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
The Jem'Hadar shield is like the Reman shield. It completely overwrites any hull pattern customizations. It's not a bug.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofbeers View Post
The Jem'Hadar shield is like the Reman shield. It completely overwrites any hull pattern customizations. It's not a bug.
The Reman Shield has unique texture graphics that actually require overwriting hull graphics to properly render. The JH Shield doesn't -- therefore, it has no compelling reason to suppress existing hull graphics. As a result, Cryptic has three options:

1) Give the JH Shield unique graphics that suppress existing hull graphics
2) Give the JH Shield no graphics
3) Give the JH shield hybrid graphics that add onto the existing hull, like Borg Shields.

What happens when you put the JH Shield on another non-JH ship? Do the hull customizations disappear, or do they stay in place?
Lieutenant
# 8
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
The JH shield completely overwrites any and all hull patterns. Just like the Reman shield. Trust me.

When the JH shield is equipped on a vessel, even Dominion vessels, it blankets all existing hull patterns with an opaque purple skin and purple detailing. Because the JH shield skin is the same as the default skin Dominion ships come with, it looks like it's resetting your customizations when, in fact, it's not. It's just doing the same thing to your ship that it does to literally every other ship in the game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofbeers View Post
The JH shield completely overwrites any and all hull patterns. Just like the Reman shield. Trust me.

When the JH shield is equipped on a vessel, even Dominion vessels, it blankets all existing hull patterns with an opaque purple skin and purple detailing. Because the JH shield skin is the same as the default skin Dominion ships come with, it looks like it's resetting your customizations when, in fact, it's not. It's just doing the same thing to your ship that it does to literally every other ship in the game.
I believe what you are saying. However, what I am asking is why it exhibits this behavior when it doesn't have to since it is not actually adding any practical graphics? The purple engine and deflector lighting is fine, but I'm seeing a gray hull when a purple hull should be present instead. Is it possible that the dev's implemented the wrong hull texture on the shield skin?
Lieutenant
# 10
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Okay, I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure if it's possible to exclude one ship from receiving a shield texture. You'd have to ask a Dev that. But, honestly, I'm not sure why it'd be necessary at all. Just disable the shield visuals, and you're set.

P.S. The JH shield skin is grey-purple, not purple-purple. I should have specified, but it's been a while since I've used it. This noggin of mine is getting old. You're seeing the right skin.

Last edited by thepopeofbeers; 03-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.