Lieutenant
# 1 need help with actions
03-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Hello..

I will be brief to explain what i have and what is my idea to have.

what i need:

A wounded officer lying on the floor, the player should come next to it, medical scan it and beam him out.

So.. i have a NPC Contact, with Legacy Contact Behavior. In advanced behavior idle animation is: Hurt - on back 02

So problem is:
- i can't scan the NPC
- I can't animate the beam out, coz animation is set to hurt.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Captain
# 2
03-08-2013, 06:00 AM
I don't know that you can beam the npc out but you can make him dissapear. I would place an invisible object at the same location as the npc and set the interact to give the player a scan animation. You can fill in the text to say Scan injured person or whatever. This is acomplished in the Has default prompt part of the menu. Hope that helps.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lieutenant
# 3
03-08-2013, 06:29 AM
As far as I can tell from searching far and wide you cannot make npcs beam out with the current foundry limitations. Hopefully soon they will add a "on exit" and "on visible" animation options added to the states tab.

But following Lincoln's instructions will give you everything else, they will just fade instead of beam out, but hopefully your audience will overlook that as a Foundry limitation.

One option could be to have a pop-up dialogue triggering at the same time in order to obscure the player's sight and distract them, so they don't notice the fade-out.

Click for more details
Career Officer
# 4
03-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanojoski1 View Post
Hello..

I will be brief to explain what i have and what is my idea to have.

what i need:

A wounded officer lying on the floor, the player should come next to it, medical scan it and beam him out.

So.. i have a NPC Contact, with Legacy Contact Behavior. In advanced behavior idle animation is: Hurt - on back 02

So problem is:
- i can't scan the NPC
- I can't animate the beam out, coz animation is set to hurt.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
An invisible object sunk into the floor beneath the NPC could be scanned, or a small object like a cup or something sunk beneath them. As lincolninspace said above, you can change the scan text to be something like "scan wounded officer"

As to beaming them out.
I don't know how to make them appear to "beam" out.

but you can set their "state" to become invisible after the interaction and they will 'disappear'. Or you could just say that they ship is beaming them up, move on, and when they come back through that area have the wounded officer gone or something.

People are pretty forgiving about things like a beaming animation.
A lot of folks understand the limitations.

Hope that helps.
Also as always i recommend http://starbaseugc.com/ for all your foundry needs. Great tutorials and a generally active chat where you can often get answers in real time from some great folks.

Peace
- John
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
So read this thread this morning and got to thinking about the problem. A actually came up with a possible work around but had to run back home and test it over lunch. So I've tested it out and it actually works marginally well.

1. Create a new costume in the Costume Editor.
  2. Click on the costume import button and select the Pre-Made tab. Select one of the animals. I used one of the Saurs. (Be careful as some npc costumes tend to crash the client.)
  3. This will appear in the editor as an invisible costume.
  4. Go back to your map and place your injured NPC.
  5. Place an NPC Contact with the new invisible costume almost on top of your injured NPC but slightly closer to where you expect the player to approach from.
  6. Place an invisible object to act as the trigger.
  7. Set the injured NPC to go invisible when the invisible object is used.
  8. Set the invisible NPC to go visible when the invisible object is used.

There is one down side to this method that you should be aware of. Once the transport is complete the invisible NPC will still be present. It has both collision and is selectable. I would recommend laying down another trigger such as a reach marker further down to remove the invisible NPC.

Like I said, I only just came up with this so I don't the long term logistics of this. This also takes advantage of foundry bugs which could be closed a t a future date.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 6
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Just remove the contact; no one will fault you for the lack of a transporter animation. If it really bothers you can "tag" the contact for transport which needs to happen a little later due to "interference" or also have something else take place at the same time (like an explosion) to distract the player but doing that all the time begins to look shoddy.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
So read this thread this morning and got to thinking about the problem. A actually came up with a possible work around but had to run back home and test it over lunch. So I've tested it out and it actually works marginally well.

2. Click on the costume import button and select the Pre-Made tab. Select one of the animals. I used one of the Saurs. (Be careful as some npc costumes tend to crash the client.)
  5. Place an NPC Contact with the new invisible costume almost on top of your injured NPC but slightly closer to where you expect the player to approach from.

There is one down side to this method that you should be aware of. Once the transport is complete the invisible NPC will still be present. It has both collision and is selectable. I would recommend laying down another trigger such as a reach marker further down to remove the invisible NPC.

Like I said, I only just came up with this so I don't the long term logistics of this. This also takes advantage of foundry bugs which could be closed a t a future date.
I'm definitely giving this a try.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
We really need on_hide animations and on_show animations. Also on_dead animation, then you could do:

on_hide + cloak = cloak out
on_hide + warp = warp out
on_hide + beam = beam out

on_show + cloak = cloak in
on_show + warp = warp in
on_show + beam = beam in

on_dead + beam = escape
on_dead + sleep = stunned
on_dead + warp = flee
on_dead + disabled = disabled
on_dead + cloak = hide

if on_dead animation is set -> no dead explosion/disintegrate

so much combinations!
Lieutenant
# 9
03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Thank you all, I am moving to foundry to try this out.

Toni
Career Officer
# 10
03-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post

This is really freaking brilliant.