Captain
# 351
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
My only real problem with the game is that just doing mission content is not enough. Got to level 25 and it seems like the enemies were getting harder and harder due to me hitting the minimum level for missions and having more than one tough npc in groups. Did a mission at level 24 and the mobs were at level 29 with 4 lieutenants and one of them kept on summoning zombies. Considering that there is supposed to be an XP boost going on for beta, then it is going to be a serious problem for people that just solo. The potion spam necessary to keep myself alive was too much in those situations even with a Cleric companion.

There is also the problem that you have to send away your companion to be trained and it takes about an hour to train them. Also looked at the prices at the C-Store and it looks like about $40 for the best mounts. Saw an Armored Howler for 4000 Zen which looks like a real nice and nasty mount. At least with STO, we get an operational mount that has numerous interesting abilities for about that price.
Empire Veteran
# 352
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I am pretty sure this game wont beat GW2 but ill give it a try but hey no key for me no email either but beta testing is boring anyhow
Captain
# 353
03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
They can keep this perk. From my chair, STO is not currently worth a LTS. For a lot of people, it's not worth a monthy subscription. In fact, there are some who feel it is not worth paying a single solitary penny for.

After whatever is coming out in May comes out, I will decide which camp I am in. Right now I'm in the "I've got some money I am willing to spend on entertainment, but am not impressed with STO enough to fork over anything at the moment."

I've said it before and I will say it again. Monetize content of substance instead of fluff, and I'll pay for it. The May Release had better be amazing or my money will find itself in Funcom's pocket. The Secret World has had my attention for a while, and now that I am no longer unemployed, I'm ready to get involved.

See unlike Cryptic, they are selling mission content to unsubscribers, and making it possible for subscribers to play it without paying real money for it. People get to buy new stuff to play through. Here, we get to buy new costumes to wear while trudging through the same daily grindfests over and over and over... Yehaw!

Of course, playable content we would have to buy is playable content Cryptic would have to make, and Perfect World won't go for that.

Oh... and just to clarify... I will not be buying any Zen for use with Neverwinter until Perfect World decides to care enough about STO to direct Cryptic to make it into the MMO it should have always been all along... You know? The one Jack Emmert told us it would be? And no I will NOT let that go. He said it. He never redacted it.

So there...
The truth is that this latest so-called Cryptic-screws-over-their-customers move will turn out like all the others that came before it. People will adapt to the changes, realize that it really isn't as bad as they were screaming about, and it will be business as usual... Until Cryptic screws ocer their customers with the next big update. Rinse and repeat... just like the rest of what STO is about...
Lieutenant
# 354 there was no email
03-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Your accounts were flagged. You just download the game. Try it the next weekend if you want to.
Starfleet Veteran
# 355
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
They can keep this perk. From my chair, STO is not currently worth a LTS. For a lot of people, it's not worth a monthy subscription. In fact, there are some who feel it is not worth paying a single solitary penny for.
There is a pretty big difference between an incentive and a perk.

The Neverwinter beta is a 'perk'. It's not supposed to be an 'incentive' to get you to buy a LTS for STO. It's just a little something extra for those that have bought a LTS for STO. You buy a LTS for a game because you like that game, not for a temporary bonus in a different game.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 356
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
There is a pretty big difference between an incentive and a perk.

The Neverwinter beta is a 'perk'. It's not supposed to be an 'incentive' to get you to buy a LTS for STO. It's just a little something extra for those that have bought a LTS for STO. You buy a LTS for a game because you like that game, not for a temporary bonus in a different game.
Perks can be incentives... For a lot of people, access to STO's beta attached to a lifetime sub to Champions Online was an incentive. That's what they are hoping to achieve here by attaching access to NW's beta to a lifetime sub of STO. Maybe it will even work. But not for me...

See, if I play STO, I am playing it for the sake of STO, not for any other games Cryptic may have out. If I buy a LTS to STO, it will mean that STO is worth forking over that much money for. To me, right now it is not. If I take out a normal monthly subscription for STO, it will mean that STO is worth forking over $15 per month. To me, right now it is not. If I purchase Zen for use on STO, it will mean that STO is worth forking over money for Zen. To me, right now it is not.

IF Perfect world wants money from me, then they are going to have to direct Cryptic to focus more on making STO into the MMO that the IP deserves, rather than the one it has been saddled with for three years. I understand why things have been how they have been, and why they are the way they are. In fact, I even agree with a lot of the reasoning behind it. However, agreeing with it and understanding it does not mean I like it and am willing to support it with my money.

Because I DON'T like it and I WON'T support it with my money.
The truth is that this latest so-called Cryptic-screws-over-their-customers move will turn out like all the others that came before it. People will adapt to the changes, realize that it really isn't as bad as they were screaming about, and it will be business as usual... Until Cryptic screws ocer their customers with the next big update. Rinse and repeat... just like the rest of what STO is about...
Starfleet Veteran
# 357
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Managed to get in on the last day and got up to level 20 with only like 6 hours played. And got to admit, their art team really did a beautiful job with the detail. Their mountains don't look like lumps of potatoes.

And their team improving STO technology was interesting, just hope it will recipocate back to STO.

But I'm not going to bother anymore with Neverwinter. It just seems like a dead end, like TOR. And the stuff in the Zen store really was a major disappointment, it made STO's C-store look like a bargain.
Career Officer
# 358
03-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Just closed the Dragon server abput a half-hour ago. Had awful local ISP issues going into the weekend. So I only got to play this evening. Made it to level 9 Wizard. Long enough to get through the tutorial and reclaim a crown. Which was an enjoyable quest chain. I was intent on just playing. So didn't get into making any UI adjustments or hotkeys. I couldn't get a cursor to click into channels to save my life. So I didn't endeavor to seek out any Groups. Had I a few more days I'm sure I would have dabbled in those details.

I enjoyed setting up some basic color to my character's background before entering the tutorial. While everyone starts in the same place, we could choose from a variety of locales and community color to define where our characters come from. I'm assuming those choices affect the dialogue trees with NPC's as you progress through the game.

What surprised me was the current offerings on the Zen store. Costume dyes are there. Not crafted. Or maybe they can be crafted also? I didn't get into the tradeskills at all. Scrolls of Identify dropped regularly enough to keep things interesting for mysterious loot. I would have expected those scrolls to be for sold for real cash. Who's to say what the final Zen Store layout will be when the game is ready to go public?

Interestingly, all my custom channels from STO were open in my NW chat window. I think that I got STO mail. As I got a mail notification in NW. But no mail at the mailbox.

My first MMO is of the Fantasy genre. Having played the original Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I enjoyed what I experienced.

I'm curious now, also, as to what pieces and parts NW and STO will borrow from one another in months to come? I really liked how the Foundry is truly intergrated into the game. While the menu is there, the game offers NPC's with immersive dialogue to lead you toward Foundry quests. And the bulletin boards were a nice touch as well.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link

Last edited by psiameese; 03-11-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Career Officer
# 359
03-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Got my NW email last Thursday and played all weekend so far i enjoyed it.
I will probably put down the money for the hero pack.

FYI you don't need a key or an email if you are a life timer just sign into the web page for NW and get your self set up for the next beta test

Last edited by mmzmarlboroman; 03-11-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Captain
# 360
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
And the stuff in the Zen store really was a major disappointment, it made STO's C-store look like a bargain.
In all fairness, STO partially profits from subscriptions. NW will be ALL Zen-based revenue. So they have adjusted their pricing metrics to reflect that. What? You didn't think they would sacrifice profitability did you?