Captain
# 1 ship scarring & weathering.
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
for me anyway in using a ship much more than i am running around, and as much as i like the shiny-new-ships i get to fly into battle, occasionally id like to add some of the effects from the character creator matched in the ship customisation.

like varying degrees of scorching & striations, the odd torpedo impact or beam slash, maybe a plasma fire or venting effect topped off with a dimming/flickering warp nacelle.

i figure it would help with the atmosphere of running into the borg more often that the pizza delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baelogventure View Post
Considering Ryan broke 25k in a NX, I expect he could easily pull 10k in an Escape Pod with a Hand Phaser.
Career Officer
# 2
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
I would love this as well! I think it would be, ore realistic than just constant shiny. One day perhaps?! It is not like they havent already rendered the ships as damaged when they are attacked or blown to bits.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Career Officer
# 3
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
My ships are run under the British system utilized during the Age of Sail. Decks are scrubbed daily - weather permitting, repairs made immediately, and the hull scraped, repaired, and painted regularly and for special occasions. With EVA suits, repairs can be made while in transit and without a shipyard. Unfortunately, the effects of keelhauling are minimized.

Hull damage, barnacles, and other fouling create unacceptable drag, problems with trim and balance and combat fitness. Therefore it cannot be allowed to exist for any length of time.

But yeah, it would be kinda neat to have such skins, though I doubt they would be cost effective for Cryptic.
Captain
# 4
03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Being able to dress our ships up with battle scars would be a nice touch.

I'd also quite like an 'aged' hull material to go with some of the older ships; y'know, hull plating that doesn't quite match because 'they just don't make it like that any more', sooty streaks around engines and plasma vents, scorch marks around weapons, and maybe the occasional rusty stain here and there, as though something had leaked through the seams.

While I accept the need to keep us looking like a fleet, and not a bunch of personalized hot rods, there should still be a few ways to add 'character' to our ships IHMO.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 5
03-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I don't think ships can actually rust in space. There's no oxygen to combine with to get rust. And there are already damage skins that result when your ship gets shot up and hull goes down. Unfortunately, due to the sheer amount of yoyo-healing in the game, you will either quickly heal back to 100% health, or just as quickly die, so this effect is rarely seen outside of low-level play.
Career Officer
# 6
03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind having the ability to add some visible ship scarring. To add character to our otherwise cloned ships. I would like to place a long gouge along the hull of my cruiser, and worn-out nacelles from all the constant venting of plasma.

We already have toons who can have scars, despite having medical regenerators that can fix everything from paper cuts to full-body dismemberments to deep-plasma-diving.

Last edited by matridunadan1; 03-11-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Captain
# 7
03-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
But yeah, it would be kinda neat to have such skins, though I doubt they would be cost effective for Cryptic.
if they do it properly and turn it into a 450z uniform pack itd work that out.
Quote:
Quote:
Considering Ryan broke 25k in a NX, I expect he could easily pull 10k in an Escape Pod with a Hand Phaser.
Captain
# 8
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
I don't think ships can actually rust in space. There's no oxygen to combine with to get rust. And there are already damage skins that result when your ship gets shot up and hull goes down. Unfortunately, due to the sheer amount of yoyo-healing in the game, you will either quickly heal back to 100% health, or just as quickly die, so this effect is rarely seen outside of low-level play.
I was thinking more that something might have leaked and rusted inside the hull, then eaten through a seam somewhere. Ever looked at sea-going ships that have been around the block a few times, and seen what looks like a really bloated bad weld with rusty streaks running down from it? Like that. After getting smacked around for a couple of decades, I'm sure they'd have bust a pipe or two at some point.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 9
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
The SIF repels dirt, the alloys and composites don't 'rust' (no oxygen in space), and touch-up paint is applied while the crew and I relax at the pub by the maintenance droids.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Captain
# 10
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
sif? you mean deflectors?

na, you wont get rust in space unsless you hit the ship with some oxidising corrosive from the outside or something eating out from the inside,
but that doesnt mean you wont get plasma corrosion, and even with the deflectors & navigation shields that assumes they are in a good enough state to be working properly.
which wont be the case if you just had your shields battered in by an attacker. (as much as i hate to reference voy: year of hell)

especially if you are talking about combat in an asteroid field, which is common enough ingame.
Quote:
Quote: