Career Officer
# 361
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
In all fairness, STO partially profits from subscriptions. NW will be ALL Zen-based revenue. So they have adjusted their pricing metrics to reflect that. What? You didn't think they would sacrifice profitability did you?
Dude, nobody is complaining about them needing a profit to run the game.

But when you are paying $40 per character for a mount, plus a ton of other stuff in the store that costs $5 (like the various crafting items per character), it's going to get expensive real quick.

And mark my words, it will drive away players when they get to endgame.
Career Officer
# 362
03-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Dude, nobody is complaining about them needing a profit to run the game.

But when you are paying $40 per character for a mount, plus a ton of other stuff in the store that costs $5 (like the various crafting items per character), it's going to get expensive real quick.

And mark my words, it will drive away players when they get to endgame.
They have said several times on the Neverwinter forums that none of the Zen prices are final, they just opened the store up to test it out for the latest beta, but all prices are still under review.

Also, you don't NEED to buy any of the things from it, which is a million times better than a lot of F2P models used by other MMOs. Plus, like STO they have an in game currency which can be earned and traded for Zen in the same manner as Dilithium can be in STO, so if you're willing to put in the time but not the money, then you can buy it all from simply playing the game.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Captain
# 363
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Got to level 30 on my Control Wizard before the servers shut down and was able to choose a paragon path. Unfortunately, it just had the Spellstorm Mage. So I was able to choose another class feature and At-Will power that is a charged ability that creates a lightning storm at your target's location. It did decent AoE damage, but takes a couple of seconds to activate it. So it seems more like an alpha strike ability rather than an At-Will attack.

Anyway, it opens up some interesting changes to each class so while everyone in a class might start off with the same abilities, the gameplay can easily change by choosing different paragon paths.. Hopefully, they have at least 3 paragon paths to choose from for each class when the game launches. Also there is supposed to be Epic Destinies to further differentiate each player, but that is supposed to be level 61-90 according to how the game is set up so it will take at least a couple of years to reach.
Career Officer
# 364
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Heres something cool... I am still waiting for my beta key ^^
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 365
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Heres something cool... I am still waiting for my beta key ^^
As numerous people have mentioned before in this thread, there is no key for getting access through the lifetime subscription. Just download the client through direct download or bittorrent and wait for two weeks to login with your Perfect World account. The most I have received for information about Neverwinter is an email saying when the beta will be and what is added to the beta which amounts to Control Wizard class, Half-Orc race, and level cap increase to level 40.
Career Officer
# 366
03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
They have said several times on the Neverwinter forums that none of the Zen prices are final, they just opened the store up to test it out for the latest beta, but all prices are still under review.
Well EXCUSE me for not reading their forum. I was there for the test weekend as a STO Lifetimer, not a NW Beta Tester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
Also, you don't NEED to buy any of the things from it, which is a million times better than a lot of F2P models used by other MMOs. Plus, like STO they have an in game currency which can be earned and traded for Zen in the same manner as Dilithium can be in STO, so if you're willing to put in the time but not the money, then you can buy it all from simply playing the game.
Dude, we know thats a crock of baloney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As numerous people have mentioned before in this thread, there is no key for getting access through the lifetime subscription.

The most I have received for information about Neverwinter is an email saying when the beta will be and what is added to the beta which amounts to Control Wizard class, Half-Orc race, and level cap increase to level 40.
I'm still waiting for that E-mail. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't know that Beta was now happening or that Lifetimers got a free pass.
Lieutenant
# 367
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Dude, we know thats a crock of baloney.
Oh? What specifically can one not buy from the c-store by trading dil for zen? Barring the red matter capacitor or some veteran rewards, I'm at a loss.
I get it, you are upset. But the facts be facts.
Career Officer
# 368
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastigator View Post
Oh? What specifically can one not buy from the c-store by trading dil for zen? Barring the red matter capacitor or some veteran rewards, I'm at a loss.
The "crock" I'm refering to is that PW needs people to buy from the Zen store, or else they don't earn income to keep the game running. But "we can earn it in game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastigator View Post
I get it, you are upset. But the facts be facts.
Lets leave the personal observation off the forum. Okay?

BTW, the word you are looking for isn't "upset" but "annoyed".

Last edited by azurianstar; 03-11-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Rihannsu
# 369
03-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Well, it took all day saturday to get it to finish installing.. So I only go about one day to tinker with it. It was just as buggy as I would expect a Beta to be.

It honestly felt a lot like playing a hybrid of STO and Diablo 2. The way you collected and equipped items felt eerily similar to D2. A lot of the missions had that same sort of vibe too. The UI was incomplete, but felt like a modification of STO's. Astral Diamonds? yeah... dilithium.

The combat system? O_O' wow... after I mastered it I could rip a part an entire enemy group before they had time to blink. (I played as a Tiefling Control Wizard named Silbel.) blast 4 different enemies with 4 different skills? EPIC! The most fun fight was against this gigantic Orc monster. I ended up cycling through all my skills 2 or 3 time sbefore he went down. But, he had only melee attacks and I was playing keep away so it worked out reasonably well. Stop the initial charge with an ice spear, then follow that with a telekinetic strangle hold, then right before he gets close enough to attack, hit him with a repulsor blast to knock him almost out of weapon range, all the while blasting him with my regular weapon attack. Wash, rinse, repeat until he finally goes down. Weak ordinary enemies will often get taken out by one of those attacks by itself.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 370
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
It's "a crock" because PW needs people to buy from the Zen store, or else they don't earn income to keep the game running.

That's what I was pointing out.
No... PWE doesn't need people to buy from the Zen store. They just need people buying Zen. What they do with it after they have bought it is their own business.

By attaching Dilithium costs to so many things in STO, and keeping the daily cap at 8000 per day, they ensure that those who want to get their dilithium-related stuff taken care of as fast as possible will either buy Zen and trade for it, or else subscribe and use their monthly stipend.

We can earn dilithium easily enough if we have the time to spend doing the varrious things that yield it. But the daily cap is what generates the time sink which can be mitigated by spending money on Zen...

It is the ZEN that PWE makes their money off of. Not what is bought using the ZEN. That factors into the metrics that measure what players like from the C-store. And because Zen and Dilithium are interchangable, the option not to spend a dime on the game is there. But if we won't spend money, we have to spend time.

I don't particularly like this arrangement, as I feel that such an emphasis on raw Zen sales is a detractor from a real emphasis on content development, but there can be no argument that from a strictly business perspective, it works.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.