Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
# 31
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that's good advice anymore. For feds, any fleet outside of Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroes isn't likely to teach good habits. Orion Slave Girls' PvP section is arguably the only decent Klingon team. Go outside of those fleets, and it's the blind leading the blind. However, on the fed side at least, none of the those fleets are likely to recruit newbies (Pandas is a possible exception, as we tend to recruit more on maximum potential than current ability). It's a tough spot to be in.

My advice is to forget about finding a fleet that does PvP and will accept you, because the ones that will probably aren't competent. Instead, seek out the best players and train with them. While none of the federation fleets I mentioned are likely to accept you as a fresh recruit, they will certainly help you if you ask for it. Train with them and they'll make you a far better player than you'd be if you joined a fail fleet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
Really?

TRH poaches every decent player they can from any fleet they see, Pandas have done it too. Without "the blind leading the blind" fleets, there would be NO Pandas to laugh at.
First off, I disagree with both of you.

Hurlybird, there are many more fleets out there than just the four mentioned that are strong in pvp. It doesnt matter who wins every match, or who is the "best". everything that i have learned as a player has came from many different fleets and players. so i recommend that anyone wanting to learn more about pvp take advice from any pvp fleet. some may have more to offer in certain areas than others, but everyone has their own valueable experience and opinions about pvp.

I recommend players talk to multiple fleets/players about advice/builds. they all have their own opinions about what works, and what doesn't. its up to the person taking the advice to accept it and use it. Of course we all hope that they don't rely too heavily on keybinds or p2w consoles, they first have to see and realize they dont need it before they decide to make that decision.

The first thing one has to remember is that learning pvp takes time. For some people, more than others, but they'll still get there. all of the things i have learned are from a collection of players and fleets, such as Attack fleet Omega, Battlegroup Atlantis, S.O.B., a few players from caspian division, 106th, TSI, Pandas, Apocalypse, Inner Circle, and some of our own fleet members from TRH. many more too, but i cant remember them all. i've worked with individuals and ran teams with some or most of these fleets in my history as a pvper.

Reg, TRH doesnt poach people. We may offer for someone to join, but most of the people that have joined our fleet join because of positive things that they have heard about our fleet/players, because they like our playstyle, and the knowledge many of our players have.

On a positive note, i would also be glad to help if needed, and I also recommend talking to any of these players and any of the other pvp fleets to hear their thoughts and success with ship builds.


@Minitrckin08
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,996
# 32
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
With all due respect to you all... I don't care who is the best or the worst, everyone looking at this thread is either a current or potential pvper and evryone who has posted is better than I.

Much like the cruiser crowd, nothing will be achieved by arguing amongst ourselves and it wont get newbs PvPing.

I'm here to learn regardless of the teacher(s) as is anyone else who asks for help, none of us care if Pandas are better than S.O.B... or TSI better than whomever or who gets the most members or whatever, we care about the PvP and the learning how to PvP well...

Think we can focus on that?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 30
# 33
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
The best advice I can give right now..is keep building, tweaking, testing, building, tweaking, testing. Find your play style, work it over, run it thru the grist mill, see how it ends up. Focus on working your personal survivial until you are comfortable with it, then start to change things up to bring up your damage/kill output.

And make friends That is the best part of pvping really. Going into the fray with friends at your side. Cu who else is going to laugh when your team is all repsawning

Last edited by cmdrparthos; 03-11-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,816
# 34
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
With all due respect to you all... I don't care who is the best or the worst, everyone looking at this thread is either a current or potential pvper and evryone who has posted is better than I.

Much like the cruiser crowd, nothing will be achieved by arguing amongst ourselves and it wont get newbs PvPing.

I'm here to learn regardless of the teacher(s) as is anyone else who asks for help, none of us care if Pandas are better than S.O.B... or TSI better than whomever or who gets the most members or whatever, we care about the PvP and the learning how to PvP well...

Think we can focus on that?
Well...to an extent, there's going to be the bickering about who knows what they're doing when it comes to Sci. Admittedly, the poaching thing is kind of out of left field...and...the arguing about who does Sci better could be settled in the space of battle, etc, etc, etc...eh?

Personally, I've been thinking about getting back into Sci again. I dance back and forth between Eng and Sci, Sci and Eng, Eng and Sci... I'm not fond of Tac - so they're usually just there as Token Tacs.

I'm not really the type to ask for help in things - I'm more likely to post some completely bogus thing, knowing that folks will point out what's wrong with it while saying what should be done. Passive aggressive much? Mebbe...

It would be somewhat nifty, imho, were there a stickied thread for Sci in PvP - after all, don't Giggles and Geko think folks wanting to play Sci are...special? Should be a special thread for it. Something that went beyond just what to slap in the skill build and on the ship. Efficient rotations, and, well - to an extent - something akin to what might be offered from some of the Boot Camp lessons, eh? Though, like - a train at home sort of thing for the shy.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 378
# 35
03-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that's good advice anymore. For feds, any fleet outside of Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroes isn't likely to teach good habits. Orion Slave Girls' PvP section is arguably the only decent Klingon team. Go outside of those fleets, and it's the blind leading the blind. However, on the fed side at least, none of the those fleets are likely to recruit newbies (Pandas is a possible exception, as we tend to recruit more on maximum potential than current ability). It's a tough spot to be in.

My advice is to forget about finding a fleet that does PvP and will accept you, because the ones that will probably aren't competent. Instead, seek out the best players and train with them. While none of the federation fleets I mentioned are likely to accept you as a fresh recruit, they will certainly help you if you ask for it. Train with them and they'll make you a far better player than you'd be if you joined a fail fleet.

Kai has already offered help, and it would be wise to at least hear him out. I can also tutor you if you want, and maybe even get you in on a few premade teams with the Pandas. There's nothing better than a fresh slate who's willing to learn!



Not entirely true. Pandas will devote mad effort to training any player that has the right attitude to learn, but we won't waste much time on people who are incapable of attaining high level play. This means you need to be open minded, slow to anger, moderately intelligent, and at least moderately competitive. If you meet those criteria, we can work with you. After all, the more great players we have playing STO the better PvP becomes for all of us.
i come to the conclusion as long as hurlybird and the fleet he mention Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroe Orion Slave Girls' if they have his mentality PvP community is doom. I say some of the them are great players. PVP community needs better fleets to lead one that dont have elites mentality . Let not forget some in these group are responsible for CRYPTIC pulling out of the Biggest pvp tournament in history.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,294
# 36
03-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Adam, send me a tell in game and i'll help you one to one from whatever level you want to start at. Done this with many people in the past and i guess thats what you want. I am euro timezone.

Handle is @naz1911
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,996
# 37
03-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Adam, send me a tell in game and i'll help you one to one from whatever level you want to start at. Done this with many people in the past and i guess thats what you want. I am euro timezone.

Handle is @naz1911
Awesome, thanks, I know I have some time free tomorrow (I would tonight but I'm attending boot camp, should be fun)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,294
# 38
03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Awesome, thanks, I know I have some time free tomorrow (I would tonight but I'm attending boot camp, should be fun)
Gonna go hospital that day, so day after? 6pm UK time onwards i'm on for a while everyday usually.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 880
# 39
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrodura View Post
i come to the conclusion as long as hurlybird and the fleet he mention Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroe Orion Slave Girls' if they have his mentality PvP community is doom.
You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

It's not just myself that thinks this way, but more or less everyone who plays at a very high level. I'm just the poor sod who has the guts to say it. Earlier I had a Steam conversation with such a high level player who is active in this thread, and it went like this:


hurleybird: Who would be easier to train to a high level, everything else being equal: A PvEr that has never PvPed, or someone that has been indoctrinated by the likes of [redacted - fleet that is active and acting outraged in this thread]

[redacted]: blank slate

Hurleybird: Definitely

[redacted]: with a "pre trained" guy, you have to de proram to re program

[redacted]: i think you said that like a sledge hammer on the forums by the way....lol

Last edited by hurleybird; 03-12-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,361
# 40
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

It's not just myself that thinks this way, but more or less everyone who plays at a very high level. I'm just the poor sod who has the guts to say it. Earlier I had a Steam conversation with such a high level player who is active in this thread, and it went like this:


hurleybird: Who would be easier to train to a high level, everything else being equal: A PvEr that has never PvPed, or someone that has been indoctrinated by the likes of [redacted - fleet that is active and acting outraged in this thread]

[redacted]: blank slate

Hurleybird: Definitely

[redacted]: with a "pre trained" guy, you have to de proram to re program

[redacted]: i think you said that like a sledge hammer on the forums by the way....lol
Oh don't worry. You're in it.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 PM.