Career Officer
# 21
03-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
I thought it going through atmosphere with a screaming android at the helm was superb

The reason the -D always got the beatdown is a small, unknown and often ignored fact:

Her captain was French.
Except it was his American First officer who lost the ship so...the American f**ks it up and the Frechman is blamed for it.
Commander
# 22
03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Except it was his American First officer who lost the ship so...the American f**ks it up and the Frechman is blamed for it.
No, it was the Brit driving from the wrong side of the console :-)
Captain
# 23
03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Don't you mean it can roflstomp and entire armada Federation ships?
The Borg Cube in "First Contact" easily fought an entire Fleet of ships and what happens when Voyager engages the more heavily armed and armored version of that Cube?
Voyager wins!
This has nothing to do with the Galaxy class, it's the hack writing Voyager was so infamous for.
I'm not talking about what it was seen doing on screen, I'm talking about the stats you can find on Memory Alpha. According to that the Intrepid has the same number and type of phaser arrays that the Galaxy was eventually upgraded to, and 5 torpedo launchers instead of 2 (although probably a smaller complement of torpedoes, no solid information on that there). Furthermore, the shields of the Intrepid class are far more advanced than those of the Galaxy class, and it is a far smaller and quicker target.

And as far as the tac cube thing, it didn't really go that way. Voyager was defeated and ran twice before the final battle, in which they had significant help from a sphere, and still didn't actually destroy the tac cube, it self-destructed. Plus it was in the 7th season, so Starfleet had had a lot of experience fighting the Borg, an advantage they didn't have for the battles of Wolf 359 or Sector 001 (while the Borg did know practically everything about Starfleet, having assimilated numerous officers and crewmen).
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post
No, it was the Brit driving from the wrong side of the console :-)
Actually it was the Betazoid driving the ship into the ground.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 25
03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
Actually it was the Betazoid
now thats a battleship!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Captain
# 26
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
I'm not talking about what it was seen doing on screen, I'm talking about the stats you can find on Memory Alpha.
No offense but Memory Alpha is what its stated on screen.

Also the Galaxy design started in the 2350's, the Enterprise-D was launched in 2363 as the Intrepid class was much newer, even if we have no dates we do know Voyager was launched in 2371, thats 8 years later.

Also for the record, Voyager only had 13 visible phaser strips and the Galaxy class had 12/14 (those extra 2 were only seen once in a ship) and yes, it have 5 (2 forward, 2 rear and one ventral) but I stress the word launchers ... it launched not only torpedoes but also probes and tricobalt devices along other things.

Its not surprising the Galaxy had less but I remind you even the Excelsior had very visible 2 forward launchers, heck the Constitution Refit had 2 tubes so the Excelsior was in that role "better" that the Galaxy, outside the phasers (Mk VIII vs Mk X).
Captain
# 27
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
No offense but Memory Alpha is what its stated on screen.
Absolutely, I just meant that I'd say it's a bit more reliable to go by what's stated on screen than by which ship blows up first in any individual encounter.

I do agree that the number of launchers is probably not that significant, especially given that the Enterprise-E managed to drain its entire magazine of torpedoes within just a couple of minutes through just 10 launchers in Nemesis. The fact that the Galaxy class almost certainly carried more torpedoes than the Intrepid class would wind up being more important. But the Intrepid class is able to match the armament of the Galaxy in a ship of half the length and with superior shielding in only around a decade (no hard data, but Memory Beta puts it at 13 years between first launches, so we can go with that or your 8 years, doesn't matter). No knowing exactly how much it outclasses a Galaxy by, but it does seem to outclass it. More than doubling ship performance in a decade seems far too much for simple technological advancement (especially since it's the exact same weapons being used), and so would have to be explained by a change in design philosophy, which was my original point.
Captain
# 28
03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
power throughput has a material limit, in simple terms, its why fuses blow.
in terms of what ship has the most advanced tech, this is addressed by the mk levels ingame.

you put mk12 systems on an intrepid, representing starfleets latest & greatest tech, and put it up against a galaxy class fitted with the same level of tech.

the galaxy will still win due to sheer force of power.
even being less nimble due to mass its weapon arrays will be bigger systems than those on an intrepid and the shields will have bigger systems to drive them.

admittedly, that doesnt necessarily mean the galaxies shields are going to be better on a per square meter basis.
simply due to needing to project a shield with 2+ times the surface area.
but thats another question and is a just a bit(lol) above what i remember from colage

unless you want to start restricting mk12 weapons to specific ships based on canon...
that leaves you with the premise that starfleet is throwing the latest gear into any ship i can pull outa the scrap yard so long as the 'captain' has met the prerequisites for acquisition then refitting the new tech into the old superstructures because making systems is much cheaper than making entire new superstructures & hulls.
Quote:

Last edited by skollulfr; 03-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
You know, I always did wonder what potential the galaxy could have had if they had made a real battle version of one. You know.. strip out everything sciencey not needed, get rid of all the extra quarters... then put in turrets of some sort? extra launchers? I'd imagine they'd have lots of room to store more torpedoes...

Hell... slap a few of those space station cannons on it, like what we say in that DS9 episode, with the cardassian freighter blasting the BOP.
Captain
# 30
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb52 View Post
You know, I always did wonder what potential the galaxy could have had if they had made a real battle version of one. You know.. strip out everything sciencey not needed, get rid of all the extra quarters... then put in turrets of some sort? extra launchers? I'd imagine they'd have lots of room to store more torpedoes...

Hell... slap a few of those space station cannons on it, like what we say in that DS9 episode, with the cardassian freighter blasting the BOP.
actually, the canon was to fit it out as a carrier.
its just that the writers gibbed the show with writing so bad it nauseated trek fans everywhere whos brains hadn't been melted by reality tv rubbish, resulting in viewing numbers gong through the floor.
Quote:

Last edited by skollulfr; 03-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.