Rihannsu
# 381
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
... what is Neverwinter? and how is this connected to Star Trek?
Neverwinter is a MMO styled on the RPG/Board Game Dungeons and Dragons. It's only connection to Star Trek is that Cryptic the makers of Star Trek Online are also the developers for Neverwinter, Perfect World the publishers of STO are the publishers of NW and NW shares the same game engine as STO.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Career Officer
# 382
03-12-2013, 12:30 PM
[quote=azurianstar;8544471]

And when it comes earning Dilithium or Astral Gems in the games, they aren't making anykind of income since you aren't going to bother to purchase Zen.

[quote]

That's just plain wrong. You might grind away for a truck load of dilithium and trade that in for some Zen, but where did the Zen come from? That's right someone bought it with real money.
Do you think PWE care if someone buys Zen and then those Zen get directly spent in the store or the Zen float around and get traded between players before finally exiting at the store?
What do PWE care, they got thier money upfront. So when you buy from the store with Zen that were traded for dilithium, you are still spending real money it just happens to have come out of someone elses wallet.
Career Officer
# 383
03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post

I've said it before and I will say it again. Monetize content of substance instead of fluff, and I'll pay for it.
This is exactly how hugely successful F2P's like DDO work you pay for stuff of substance, I.e. access to entire zones, quest chains and epic raids...

They are amazing, for example Gianthold and the 4 Part Crypt series are mind blowingly good. And the value for money aspect is great Gianthold is almost as much content as the entire STO endgame alone and it only cost $15 dollars about half the price of Baldurs Gate when it came out.
Captain
# 384
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
Neverwinter is a MMO styled on the RPG/Board Game Dungeons and Dragons.
I would personally dispute that. Aside from using names from the DnD lore, there's nothing I've remotely seen that says to me Neverwinter is in practice a DnD title. At best it's "generic fantasy MMO # 37" trying to wear a DnD skin.
Rihannsu
# 385
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
I would personally dispute that. Aside from using names from the DnD lore, there's nothing I've remotely seen that says to me Neverwinter is in practice a DnD title. At best it's "generic fantasy MMO # 37" trying to wear a DnD skin.
Well, it DOES use the names and likenesses of DnD stuff... but yeah.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 386
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Quote:
True though DDO is more faithful than NW it is also just a heavily modified look-alike of DnD 3.5
Captain
# 387
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
True though DDO is more faithful than NW it is also just a heavily modified look-alike of DnD 3.5
The difference there being that DDO at least tries to apply some of the core principles of the ruleset (where possible) to an MMO framework, where everything I've seen of NW screams the exact opposite.
Career Officer
# 388
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
The difference there being that DDO at least tries to apply some of the core principles of the ruleset (where possible) to an MMO framework, where everything I've seen of NW screams the exact opposite.
Hehe yeah when I played NW I was like this needs a gamepad and feels like Devil May Cry on the PS2,

Very hackenslashy.

When I saw the skill tree and how limited advancement was... I thought where is the DnD in this!? One of the core fun elements of DnD is building a skill set and having heap loads of skills to chose from.
Rihannsu
# 389
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Hehe yeah when I played NW I was like this needs a gamepad and feels like Devil May Cry on the PS2,

Very hackenslashy.

When I saw the skill tree and how limited advancement was... I thought where is the DnD in this!? One of the core fun elements of DnD is building a skill set and having heap loads of skills to chose from.
In fairness, it is just a beta and the rumors I heard have it that the skill tree goes up to level 100.... So...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 390
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
In fairness, it is just a beta and the rumors I heard have it that the skill tree goes up to level 100.... So...
Well the thing is it seems your railroaded and the progression is pre-ordained so I don't think you get much of a choice, even if you might get a lot of skills.