Lt. Commander
# 11
01-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Well, sorry to say, that mine and the vast majority of tech users vastly outweigh your opinion. Norton may indeed have regular definition updates, but their programs lock your computer down way too much. Not to mention the problems they had for multiple YEARS, when, if you disabled norton, it basically locked your computer down.

15 years? I dont think so. You may like it, but theres way better security programs out there.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
15 years? I dont think so. You may like it, but theres way better security programs out there.
Okay, had to dig out my old disks, you're right. It's been only 12 years that I have been using Norton product, beginning with Norton System Works in 98 for windows 95. I also have my Norton's System Works 2000 and 2002 disks as well as Norton Pesonal Firewall 2001 and I could go on.

Sorry for being off by a few years, my opinion remains however.

Again, I am not looking for opinions on these products, I am looking for an answer to my question in the Original Post.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Actually, I have used a verity of Norton's products for about 15+ years now. I am sorry you do not like Norton, but please do not tell me what AV program I should be using when I darn well know from personal experience that no other AV program can protect you as well as Norton's can. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I have yet to have ever been infected with a virus while using any Norton's products. On the other hand, I have had numerous infections while trying nearly all the free ones on the market as well as McAfee.

My sister is a Computer Technician and has Network Systems Manager under her belt, we have worked together for years on computers, and we'll both agree, if you can afford it and your system can handle it, get Nortons. As well, as I also stated, 360 and 2010 were designed to not to use as much system resources as previous editions. I can say first hand, that this is true of NIS 2010.

While using McAfee, AVG, and Kaper, we experienced long boot up and shut down times as well as performance loss when something is detected or a scan is underway. This is not the case with NIS 2010, on our machines anyway. It runs seamlessly in the background and even goes silent while gaming if you prefer.

So, with that said, I thank you all for your suggestions on me using some other product, however that is just not going to happen. I am not looking for opinions on these products, I am looking for an answer to my question in the Original Post.

Thank you for your time.
Ref my original post, fix is listed there - Unless your running SSD's I wouldn't touch Norton or any other active scan program. Nothing will kill game performance more than something hogging I/O - Even if the new Norton isn't a resource hog it still jacks your hard drive. Go to the resource monitor and find the Norton entries, check em then look at your hard disk access and IO priority.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isRunningNortonAV 0

Found this in my config file for the game, if the game is checking for it then one would assume it might be a good idea to turn it off lol.
Commander
# 15
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Simple. Norton sucks. Use another antivirus such as AVG or Kapersky.

Not sure how to fix the current issue tho, if its not accepting the .exe into the exclusions list then Im not sure. You could try to mark the .exe as 'read only' and maybe that will prevent it from deleting it... not sure if that will work either :/
First time ive seen this message was today and I do use Kaspersky
Lieutenant
# 16 Read Post Dates!
03-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly0 View Post
First time ive seen this message was today and I do use Kaspersky
Why are you replying to a two year old thread. Please read the post dates before doing this.
Commander
# 17
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence1311 View Post
Why are you replying to a two year old thread. Please read the post dates before doing this.
Next time ill just start a fresh new one.

I was looking on google after this message came up and said 0% of users trusted this application.