Captain
# 101
03-12-2013, 12:14 PM
OK...my entry has now been posted. It's a response to the "Academy Days" prompt. Thanks to Branflakes for the topic, because I'd really been wanting to respond to this one!

And thank you very much to marcusdkane for all of his help, his willingness to let me use Captain Kane in the story, and his patient guidance in doing so.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...81#post8551481
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 102
03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
@sander233 - Let me add to the chorus (was it a chorus?) that affirms your piece was a great way to "say hello" to the new command. All the characters were easily imagined and the descriptions flows seemlessly.

@ shevet - Yet another grand piece! I love a good mystery as well. I don't read them enough and this was a good reminder of my appreciation for the genre. Very well done.

Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 103
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
OK...my entry has now been posted. It's a response to the "Academy Days" prompt. Thanks to Branflakes for the topic, because I'd really been wanting to respond to this one!

And thank you very much to marcusdkane for all of his help, his willingness to let me use Captain Kane in the story, and his patient guidance in doing so.

Well, you already know my thoughts on the piece, and I love the addition of Alyosha's thoughts to Marcus' experiences I was just really looking forward to seeing the mission itself, and finding out the identity of the operative and how Alyosha extracts her Other than that, top notch, it was a privilege to collaborate with you
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Argh! Okay, I thought if I used every free moment over the last few days to focus on writing the story, it'd be done by now, but my free time just will not cooperate. It's down to just the last page or so, and tonight's going to be busy, but I will make tomorrow work if nothing else. With any luck it'll either be posted today or tomorrow, and then I'll finally be around to read and reply again.
Career Officer
# 105
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post

Fantastic!

When I started reading your Tales of Alyosha Strannik, the thought occurred to me that he would make an ideal infiltration agent, but that he would be extremely reluctant to fill the role. I guess I should work for Starfleet Intelligence!

I love the way you crafted his motivations, wanting to prove his loyalty and willingness to serve overriding his own ambitions and ideals. The incident at the academy served as the perfect springboard for that aspect of the character.

You and MDK did a terrific job writing Captain Marcus Kane in as a sympathetic mentor. Especially delightful was Ensign Strannik's slow realization that he was not the most unique being in Starfleet! I do hope the two of you continue your collaborations. The two characters play so well off of each other!

[Edit]
I was hoping to see more of Alyosha's early interactions with Thraz th'Valek - Alyosha discovering telepathic communication would have been fascinating. I do hope you find an excuse to return to the Academy at some point.[/edit]

One small nitpick regarding the timeline: Marcus Kane refers to the battle of Sector 001 as having occurred "three years ago" - according to Memory Alpha it actually occurred in mid-2373 (sometime before DS9 ep. 5x14 "In Purgatory's Shadow") There's a bit of confusion with stardates (due to the writers of FC not being on the same page as the writers of DS9) but the presence of Worf and the Defiant in the battle establishes that it occurred no earlier than 2372.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 03-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Captain
# 106
03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
One small nitpick regarding the timeline: Marcus Kane refers to the battle of Sector 001 as having occurred "three years ago" - according to Memory Alpha it actually occurred in mid-2373 (sometime before DS9 ep. 5x14 "In Purgatory's Shadow") There's a bit of confusion with stardates (due to the writers of FC not being on the same page as the writers of DS9) but the presence of Worf and the Defiant in the battle establishes that it occurred no earlier than 2372.
I understand your confusion, but the reference to the Borg parts removed from Picard seems to indicate that what Kane meant was the attempted Borg incursion into Earth, following the Battle of Wolf 359, as seen in the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds, pt 2". It wasn't, strictly speaking, a battle; instead, when Data used his connection with Picard/Locutus to execute a shutdown command through an unguarded backdoor in the Borg software, the cube self-destructed. However, being as the Battle of Sector 001, as seen in First Contact, was still several years in the future, Kane's reference is comprehensible, if not technically correct.

Besides, it was a good story. That excuses a lot.
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Captain
# 107
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
*reads thread header*

BRAAAAAAAN!! /khaaaaan

Okay well I'm overwhelmed, too. Maybe I'll just start chucking stories willy-nilly in chronological order this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 108
03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I understand your confusion, but the reference to the Borg parts removed from Picard seems to indicate that what Kane meant was the attempted Borg incursion into Earth, following the Battle of Wolf 359, as seen in the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds, pt 2". It wasn't, strictly speaking, a battle; instead, when Data used his connection with Picard/Locutus to execute a shutdown command through an unguarded backdoor in the Borg software, the cube self-destructed. However, being as the Battle of Sector 001, as seen in First Contact, was still several years in the future, Kane's reference is comprehensible, if not technically correct.
Kane clearly referred to both separate Borg incursions.

The latter reference, the one I have the issue with, is the one where Admiral Hayes sends the Endeavour the Typhon sector, where it's disabled by the Cube in short order. In First Contact, the Cube is first engaged by Admiral Hayes' task force in the Typhon Sector, and the Endeavour is in fact referred to in the film's dialogue. (In the original envisioning of the battle, the Endeavour was to have been "gloriously destroyed." Fortunately for Captain Marcus Kane, the film's budget constraints forced the producers to scale back the battle scene.)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Batt...001#Conception

Quote:
Besides, it was a good story. That excuses a lot.
That it most certainly was; I'm just trying to preserve the timeline.

Captain
# 109
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
You and MDK did a terrific job writing Captain Marcus Kane in as a sympathetic mentor.
Thank you ^_^ GulBerat and I had discussed for some time Alyosha's revelation as a Devidian to his crew to gauge how others may have reacted to the knowledge, and we came to the realization that as an immortal, Marcus would have no fear towards Devidians. Even if they were to feed on Marcus' neural energy (which GulBerat was adamant that Alyosha would not do, even if under orders to do so), the regenerative rate of the Quickening would replenish that energy more quickly than the Devidian could drain it, and while it would be unpleasant for Marcus, the Devidian would eventually be satiated, and he would not be killed by the process. It was GulBerat's concept to use Marcus in this LC, as someone that Starfleet Command felt was safe to assign with Alyosha, and that this would have represented the begining of the turn about in Alyosha's experiences with Command, which would allow him to progress and come to earn his own command I simply provided some of Marcus' responses to Alyosha's questions and experiences

Quote:
I do hope the two of you continue your collaborations. The two characters play so well off of each other!
Thank you ^_^ Marcus is now sadly dispatched (the unfortunate transporter accident he feared) but if a future LC was to present the opportunity to collaborate again, I would certainly welcome the opportunity ^_^

Quote:
That one is totally my fault... I had believed that the Enterprise-E had been launched in 2370, and from Geordi's line to Picard that they had been out in space nearly a year, I had assumed that the battle of Sector 001 had taken place in 2370
Career Officer
# 110
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Thank you ^_^ Marcus is now sadly dispatched (the unfortunate transporter accident he feared) but if a future LC was to present the opportunity to collaborate again, I would certainly welcome the opportunity ^_^
So I gathered. Nonetheless I'd love to see more retrospective pieces like this one down the road. They offer such great insights into characters past and present.

Quote:
That one is totally my fault... I had believed that the Enterprise-E had been launched in 2370, and from Geordi's line to Picard that they had been out in space nearly a year, I had assumed that the battle of Sector 001 had taken place in 2370
No worries. The only reason it caught my eye is because I'm working on fleshing out the back stories of my characters and I had to work out where the battle fell in chronologically with the end of the Federation-Klingon War and the beginning of the Dominion War. Its one of those cases where continuity errors in canon make things difficult for fanfic authors.