Captain
# 111
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I understand your confusion, but the reference to the Borg parts removed from Picard seems to indicate that what Kane meant was the attempted Borg incursion into Earth, following the Battle of Wolf 359, as seen in the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds, pt 2". It wasn't, strictly speaking, a battle; instead, when Data used his connection with Picard/Locutus to execute a shutdown command through an unguarded backdoor in the Borg software, the cube self-destructed. However, being as the Battle of Sector 001, as seen in First Contact, was still several years in the future, Kane's reference is comprehensible, if not technically correct.

Besides, it was a good story. That excuses a lot.
Indeed, the references were to both the battle in First Contact, and the presumable analysis of the Borg hardware removed from Picard after the cube self-destructed (would have been at the same time as Picard visited his brother's family in France, while the Enterprise was still in spacedock for repairs...)
Captain
# 112
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
So I gathered.
I was worried that he came across as too much of a Gary Stu, as I'd fleshed out his past (pretty much entire life history) for a planned DS-9 novel which I never got round to finishing and submitting. The idea was for Kane to visit the station on assignment to provide a Command-Level officer to oversee a request for a new species to join the Federation (before Sisko was promoted to Captain) but when I saw the list of things writer's couldn't do (ie introduce new characters, new species etc) other things got in the way and the project wound up on the back burner... I had planned to use Marcus and his crew for STO, but when I discovered the timeline had been jumped forward 30 years, and that all his officers would either be dead or near retirement, I decided to create a new crew and shuffle him off... It was only after I'd done so, and SparklySoldier featured him in an entry, that I saw him as something other than a Gary Stu, and decided to have entries which explored events in his past as the LCs allowed...

Quote:
Nonetheless I'd love to see more retrospective pieces like this one down the road. They offer such great insights into characters past and present.
Still a few events which I'm interested to explore, such as his first encounter with Selek, or his mother's death, but not sure if the opportunity will present itself, and my LC entries will most likely be focusing on the crew of my new ship, the USS Valkyrie.

Quote:
No worries. The only reason it caught my eye is because I'm working on fleshing out the back stories of my characters and I had to work out where the battle fell in chronologically with the end of the Federation-Klingon War and the beginning of the Dominion War. Its one of those cases where continuity errors in canon make things difficult for fanfic authors.
That's gracious of you to say, but I really should have double-checked my facts

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Captain
# 113
03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I apologize too for the timeline confusion...I should've caught that as well, but I was also unsure of the exact timeline. I have changed it to "most recent battle," which should hopefully be ambiguous enough to work.

Quote:
Fantastic!

When I started reading your Tales of Alyosha Strannik, the thought occurred to me that he would make an ideal infiltration agent, but that he would be extremely reluctant to fill the role. I guess I should work for Starfleet Intelligence!
LOL! Well...I think this at least was more palatable to him than spying, since what he's doing is potentially going to save someone from being tortured. Search-and-rescue is something he definitely has some unique skills for.

Quote:
I love the way you crafted his motivations, wanting to prove his loyalty and willingness to serve overriding his own ambitions and ideals. The incident at the academy served as the perfect springboard for that aspect of the character.
Thanks. I felt like that was definitely a formative incident in his life.

Quote:
You and MDK did a terrific job writing Captain Marcus Kane in as a sympathetic mentor. Especially delightful was Ensign Strannik's slow realization that he was not the most unique being in Starfleet! I do hope the two of you continue your collaborations. The two characters play so well off of each other!
Thank you! Alyosha is certainly a very unusual being, but at least now he knows there are others who have been in similar positions. It's fortunate for him he had those rulings from the Russian courts, though, because--at least hopefully--that would prevent Starfleet from attempting to go as far as they did with Data in "The Measure of a Man."

Quote:
I was hoping to see more of Alyosha's early interactions with Thraz th'Valek - Alyosha discovering telepathic communication would have been fascinating. I do hope you find an excuse to return to the Academy at some point.
Thanks.

I'm not yet sure if that would've been Alyosha's first experience with telepathy, so I deliberately left that alone so I'd have more time to figure it out.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Lt. Commander
# 114
03-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ superhombre777 - Dagnabit, that was brilliant. I'm not sure what more I can say other than I feel like I am writing with champions of prose in these LCs. It's damn humbling.
Making you humble certainly wasn't my goal...but thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
Err... I just spell it like that 'cause I'm British! "Theatre", too, you might have noticed.
Hopefully you know that I was trying to be funny. And Americans like to use British spelling to show that they are refined (so maybe that's a compliment?). Are there any British science fiction authors that have influenced your writing style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
Argh! Okay, I thought if I used every free moment over the last few days to focus on writing the story, it'd be done by now, but my free time just will not cooperate.
You still have another week, though in a few days half of us will probably be spending our free time brainstorming ideas for whatever the next LC is.
Career Officer
# 115
03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
It's fortunate for him he had those rulings from the Russian courts, though, because--at least hopefully--that would prevent Starfleet from attempting to go as far as they did with Data in "The Measure of a Man."
Now that would be interesting! Has anyone tried to turn an LC into a courtroom drama yet?

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 116
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Shhhh...the evidence suggests Branflakes peruses Ten Forward for comments that give him the idea for a challenge. You never know what you're unleashing...
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Captain
# 117
03-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Now that would be interesting! Has anyone tried to turn an LC into a courtroom drama yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Shhhh...the evidence suggests Branflakes peruses Ten Forward for comments that give him the idea for a challenge. You never know what you're unleashing...
"You can't handle the truth!!!"

Got to admit, I love that movie... A courtroom LC could make for some nice, tense writing (or something as significant as Alyosha's registration so he could be fostered by the Azarovs ^_^ )
Captain
# 118
03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
@marcusdkane: Agreed, a courtroom LC would be fun to write, especially since I suspect half of our characters are more than capable of getting themselves court-martialled. Although one I would like to see is an officer exchange program: one of your officers serves on the ship of a foreign power for a while, and vice versa.

@gulberat: Nice entry, although I suppose I should be complementing marcusdkane as well. The interplay between Alyosha and Marcus was great, I appreciate that you took pains to keep reminding the reader that Strannik isn't human or even corporeal-- the little bits like Strannik deliberately not hovering, or trying to create the mirage of human emotions at the right moment, did a lot to emphasize that. As to marcusdkane...I will admit, initially I was put off by the idea of an immortal in Starfleet, but Marcus was well-written enough that I think I've changed my mind about him. As you yourself mentioned, there is always the danger of such a character turning into a Gary Stu, but thankfully, Marcus was well-rounded and likeable enough that that didn't happen.

Last edited by ambassadormolari; 03-13-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Captain
# 119
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
@ marcusdkane - SHSHSHSSHHHH ... don't give branflakes any ideas!

@ gulberat - yet another amazing piece. This time, I really learned a lot about Alyosha. I mean, in previous entries I took away pieces of what it means to be "him", but this round really painted a very good picture of the character in my mind and that is appreciated.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 120
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
@marcusdkane: Agreed, a courtroom LC would be fun to write, especially since I suspect half of our characters are more than capable of getting themselves court-martialled.
No kidding! Now, I probably wouldn't have anything for that challenge (I actually picture the Russian judges as having been reasonable and the proceedings having been rather boring), but I would love reading the entries. It kind of reminds me of stoleviathan's mission "Final Judgement" (sic), which is a courtroom drama in the Foundry, and a really awesome one at that.

Quote:
Although one I would like to see is an officer exchange program: one of your officers serves on the ship of a foreign power for a while, and vice versa.
I could easily do that with a different crew of mine...my Cardassian captain is an exchange officer (which explains his rapid ascent through Starfleet ranks--he's already command qualified in the Cardassian Defense Force)

Quote:
@gulberat: Nice entry, although I suppose I should be complementing marcusdkane as well.
Definitely...he was great to work with.

Quote:
The interplay between Alyosha and Marcus was great, I appreciate that you took pains to keep reminding the reader that Strannik isn't human or even corporeal-- the little bits like Strannik deliberately not hovering, or trying to create the mirage of human emotions at the right moment, did a lot to emphasize that.
Thanks. Technically, "corporeal" refers to having a body, as opposed to being an energy being--and Alyosha does have a body; it's just that without his effort, it's out of phase with the rest of us. But I figured that if what the Devidians do in STO is their instinctive way of getting around, then he has to be very careful to use his telekinesis in a different way so as to keep his feet on the ground.

And yeah...he always has to translate his emotions so they are understandable to others. His feelings are much like a human's, but you would not recognize it if you were to see him in his natural form acting purely from Devidian instinct. (Though whether he can act from Devidian instinct alone is questionable--even in Devidian form, some human mannerisms that he is capable of using then, appear without his thinking about it.)

Quote:
As to marcusdkane...I will admit, initially I was put off by the idea of an immortal in Starfleet, but Marcus was well-written enough that I think I've changed my mind about him. As you yourself mentioned, there is always the danger of such a character turning into a Gary Stu, but thankfully, Marcus was well-rounded and likeable enough that that didn't happen.
IMHO--and this is just me--it also helps that Marcus does die in the end; his powers can't get him through everything.