Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 498
# 1 Torpedo powers for cruisers?
03-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I have a quick question for everyone: do you think torpedo-based abilities (ie High Yield, Torpedo Spread, etc) are worth taking on a cruiser build? Or do you think that, because of a cruiser's slow rate of turn, torpedo abilities are best left for Escorts, etc, while cruisers should instead focus on beams and cannons?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227
# 2
03-13-2013, 08:04 AM
I think it depends on your playstyle honestly. I always like to have a torp fore/aft just to take away from the weapon drain of over 5-6 beams on my cruisers and it depends on if you've spent skill points in projectile weapons. There are skills you can use to make your ship turn faster and torpedoes can give you some nice burst damage, plus they've improved a few types so you aren't shoe horned into only using quantums now.
Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 498
# 3
03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
I think it depends on your playstyle honestly.
Well, presently, I'm using a heavy cruiser with 4 mkiv/v phasers, quantum torps in the front and quantum mines in the back. I did use High Yield for a while in addition to Fire At Will II, but after dealing with my ship's the slow turn rate, I decided to switch it for Tactical Team I. Which isn't too bad, but since I also have Engineering and Science Team, I usually only use it if my shields and hull are still in good condition.

Energy drain hasn't been too much of an issue for me, since I'm fully ranked in Starship Batteries and Warp Core Potential, and am slowly ranking up in Warp Core Efficiency as well. I have, however, absolutely zero skills in projectile weapons, though I did recently get an engineering console with better turn rate as a mission reward.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,567
# 4
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
I have a quick question for everyone: do you think torpedo-based abilities (ie High Yield, Torpedo Spread, etc) are worth taking on a cruiser build? Or do you think that, because of a cruiser's slow rate of turn, torpedo abilities are best left for Escorts, etc, while cruisers should instead focus on beams and cannons?
Torp skills are worth having if you have the Tactical bridge officer slots available. I dont use any torp skills on any of my ships, because they have limited boff slots and I can get similar return from equipment alone (Breen cluster torp gives a pattern, and the Nadion Detonator wll give a heavy upgrade to non-specials). I am using my slots for extra Tac Team, to keep shields rotating and damage boosted.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 110
# 5
03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Torp skills are worth having if you have the Tactical bridge officer slots available. I dont use any torp skills on any of my ships, because they have limited boff slots and I can get similar return from equipment alone (Breen cluster torp gives a pattern, and the Nadion Detonator wll give a heavy upgrade to non-specials). I am using my slots for extra Tac Team, to keep shields rotating and damage boosted.
I agree here. I don't use torp skills like I use to. If anything I will use the torpedo spread 3 because I like the way it looks when you fire on a group of ships.

At lower levels you kind of depend on Torpedoes to finish the job. You do what you can to punch a shield to get a torp on hull. But in end game content I can get more use out of my energy weapons by focusing all my skills/buffs/consoles on boosting their damage.

Here is the way I look at all my setups anymore. I don't like using anything that conditions have to be right for. As an example, I only fire torpedoes when I have a hull shot. (except the new romulan torpedo, that thing is just a beam weapon really)

Eisaak
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 336
# 6
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Torpedoes are worth taking, if only to reduce your overall weapon energy requirements while still outputting damage. It's not like your regular energy weapons are all that much better at punching through shields and dealing hull damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 190
# 7
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
I think torpedos are good additions for a cruiser. Having a large number of beams can cause diminishing returns due to energy drain. I keep one on front, currently favoring the Omega torp. I switch between HYT3 and TS3 depending on needs. For the back weapons, I am using a cutting beam + 3 beams, but will swap one beam for the romulan experimental plasma beam, which doesn't use weapon power, once I get there in rep.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 110
# 8
03-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I hear people talk about power drain all the time.

Just sitting in park my power levels are 125/75/40/50. Sometimes I adjust them up or down depending on what is happening, but with buffs I almost never fall below 95% on weapon power and that is all 6 beams running on my cruiser. I never see power loss in my other ships.

Eisaak
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,567
# 9
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moronwmachinegun View Post
I think torpedos are good additions for a cruiser.
he is asking about the modifier skills not the weapon
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227
# 10
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisaakaz View Post
I hear people talk about power drain all the time.

Just sitting in park my power levels are 125/75/40/50. Sometimes I adjust them up or down depending on what is happening, but with buffs I almost never fall below 95% on weapon power and that is all 6 beams running on my cruiser. I never see power loss in my other ships.

Eisaak
I think most are referring to true "beam boats" with 7-8 beam arrays going, you can really cut into weapon pwr especially if you broadside. Personally I think 6 is the sweet spot, and I usually sub in a DBB in the front for more frontal punch on an initial approach then have 5 to broadside with to maximize weapon pwr, then can swing around to dump a Torp Spread III or High Yield II. I agree though, as an ENG it seems like my power levels are always hovering over 90ish even while firing with all the buffs I have.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM.