Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 861
# 401
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
This is exactly how hugely successful F2P's like DDO work you pay for stuff of substance, I.e. access to entire zones, quest chains and epic raids...

They are amazing, for example Gianthold and the 4 Part Crypt series are mind blowingly good. And the value for money aspect is great Gianthold is almost as much content as the entire STO endgame alone and it only cost $15 dollars about half the price of Baldurs Gate when it came out.
I have to say, I would never play it if that was what they sold to us. I prefer buying vanity items than game content. Every MMO I've played which has gone down that line, I've stopped playing. I like F2P games where they are actually F2P and paid content is an extra but not required. As do most people.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 402
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
I have to say, I would never play it if that was what they sold to us. I prefer buying vanity items than game content. Every MMO I've played which has gone down that line, I've stopped playing. I like F2P games where they are actually F2P and paid content is an extra but not required. As do most people.
I prefer games that focus on real content as their payment model because it means that they actually have a reason to produce actual content and not just vanity items and lock boxes which is all we seem to get with Cryptic at the moment.

DDO is actually free to play and you can earn points in game to unlock adventure packs. As it is I haven't even completed the Free 2 Play stuff in DDO yet because even after 3 years of playing it all 4 of my characters are only Level 17

However just like this game good luck with getting anything cool quickly... you won't it will take you a lot of grinding.

When you say "As do most people" there are 2 Million Gamers who play DDO who disagree. In addition you forget that it still has a subscriber model that for like $9 a month gives every adventure pack available.

Honestly I kind of regretted getting LTS for this game after Season 7, I can't say I say the same with DDO.

I agree with you though on one thing if Cryptic tried to sell me Feature Episodes that are of the current quality and depth I'd be going elsewhere.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 03-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
# 403
03-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Will the squeeze, that is going on in STO atm, be nerfed when Neverwinter will be launched and suddenly fade out of server existence ?

This will allow the dev team to actually get back to STO and make it to be an actual star trek oriented game, not just a huge sink designed to squeeze money for the useless Neverwinter.

"To seek out new life..."
"Star Trek Philosophy of Respect and Protect All Lifeforms"

Accolade complete: Beast Master | Defeat 1000 Beasts

m
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,231
# 404
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelp1 View Post
Will the squeeze, that is going on in STO atm, be nerfed when Neverwinter will be launched and suddenly fade out of server existence ?

This will allow the dev team to actually get back to STO and make it to be an actual star trek oriented game, not just a huge sink designed to squeeze money for the useless Neverwinter.

"To seek out new life..."
"Star Trek Philosophy of Respect and Protect All Lifeforms"

Accolade complete: Beast Master | Defeat 1000 Beasts

m
Separate dev teams

The only thing that should affect STO after NW goes live, is all those profits from STO which are obviously being spent on NW to get that up an running, should in fact be put back into STO.

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 80
# 405
03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd have to disagree with the current love hate feelings toward current the current f2p model. I have a credit card, yet I can't punch in the numbers and buy a ship, or a character or anything.

What is with the idea that you have to buy some intermediary currency? Silly imo.

Also, I would pay for additional content, like SWTOR is selling their HUT cartel planet expansion. Because it simply is another part of the game that if you don't buy it, you don't have to play it, you can still play the core game. Then what happens? You get tired of the core game, break out the credit card, and buy more content. Access to New Romulus, a new ship. f2p is meant for those that don't have time to grind a hardcore game MMO that takes your life and a little bit of your money. Most of use would rather spend a little less life and pay a bit more money to move along in a game.

So sell me content, $10 for a Dominion Dreadnaught carrier - I'm there, because I like most gamers, do not have time to screw with keys and boxes and zen and dilithium, etc. Just take my money and let me play. I grind the character, you give me the toys for more money. Works for most of us, but they have yet to put it in to practice.

All the previous games I have played, most people including me just laugh at the intermediary currency and slight of hand exchange tricks, and never buy a thing - too complicated, too much time, etc.


Warmest Regards,
Covenant of the Phoenix www.cotp.info
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,506
# 406
03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Hehe... you could just $$$>zen>keys>EC then buy whatever, it's not THAT complicated...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,659
# 407
03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
Separate dev teams

The only thing that should affect STO after NW goes live, is all those profits from STO which are obviously being spent on NW to get that up an running, should in fact be put back into STO.
As has been said many times now by several devs, the STO dev team is the largest it's been since launch, currently; and they're working on an update so large they're not calling it Season 8 anymore because it's much bigger than a typical Season.

Keep in mind that much of the work done on Neverwinter is going to provide things that will get incorporated into STO (and CO, even) in the next big codebase merge. Recall Tacofangs' awesome "all you ever needed to know about code merges you learned from Tacofangs" graphic:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8...a77be460_o.jpg
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,231
# 408
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
As has been said many times now by several devs, the STO dev team is the largest it's been since launch, currently; and they're working on an update so large they're not calling it Season 8 anymore because it's much bigger than a typical Season.

Keep in mind that much of the work done on Neverwinter is going to provide things that will get incorporated into STO (and CO, even) in the next big codebase merge. Recall Tacofangs' awesome "all you ever needed to know about code merges you learned from Tacofangs" graphic:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8...a77be460_o.jpg
Um, thanks for that. I know all that though, been here since launch

It is what they do that defines them. Still waiting or that massive team to fix the many many legacy bugs.

I'll reserve judgement when season [Redacted] is released, however.

As per previous updates, I have now learned to not get my hopes up and expect the worst from Cryptic.

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day

Last edited by sunfrancks; 03-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 62
# 409
03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Here's an idea for a new lifetime perk. A working game that doesn't make you feel like you've been playing a closed beta for three years! Whoa... mindblowing!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,270
# 410
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
As has been said many times now by several devs, the STO dev team is the largest it's been since launch, currently; and they're working on an update so large they're not calling it Season 8 anymore because it's much bigger than a typical Season.

Keep in mind that much of the work done on Neverwinter is going to provide things that will get incorporated into STO (and CO, even) in the next big codebase merge. Recall Tacofangs' awesome "all you ever needed to know about code merges you learned from Tacofangs" graphic:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8...a77be460_o.jpg
Can we call the coder mergers "mustaching" since Taco's artwork looks like a handlebar mustache?
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.