Survivor of Remus
# 11
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Well I've been a ST fan sense forever. But JJ trek brought Star Trek into the new generation and made it so people that went "star trek? Isn't that some gay sci-fi show" turn into people that say "oh yeah I saw that movie." It revamped a franchise that was based on technobabble with a little action into a fast pased more emotional action movie with a little less technobabble. It was a great move to bring in a new crowd
-"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
Captain
# 12
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to establish bona fides.

If it matters, I've been watching Star Trek since the original run, back in '66-'69; one of my first memories was watching the Enterprise glide across the screen, orbiting a planet that looked like my father's bowling ball, in the opening credits. And I thought the Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman movie (everyone always forgets the writers!) did a fine job in evoking the feeling of the original. Maybe if you grew up with the more cerebral, detached TNG, it might not "seem like Star Trek" to you, I don't know...
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
It's all just down to personal taste.

Personally, I grew up with the TNG/DS9/VOY shows and loved every minute of them, the cerebral and the action, and I love the JJ verse. However, someone else with the exact same Trek background might not like it.

There really is no accounting for taste when it comes to movies, tv, music, painting, etc. We all like different things.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack12c View Post
Well I've been a ST fan sense forever. But JJ trek brought Star Trek into the new generation and made it so people that went "star trek? Isn't that some gay sci-fi show" turn into people that say "oh yeah I saw that movie." It revamped a franchise that was based on technobabble with a little action into a fast pased more emotional action movie with a little less technobabble. It was a great move to bring in a new crowd
So basically making it like original series, you know the show it was based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to establish bona fides.

If it matters, I've been watching Star Trek since the original run, back in '66-'69; one of my first memories was watching the Enterprise glide across the screen, orbiting a planet that looked like my father's bowling ball, in the opening credits. And I thought the Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman movie (everyone always forgets the writers!) did a fine job in evoking the feeling of the original. Maybe if you grew up with the more cerebral, detached TNG, it might not "seem like Star Trek" to you, I don't know...
Yeah, it seems the people most annoyed by the new film are either TNG fans or bought into the myth about Star Trek.
Captain
# 15
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Considering that Spock is a fictional character and that Nimoy spend a great deal of time and effort trying to break away from the character, refusing to return as the character in Star Trek Phase II, even writing a book titled "I am Not Spock", it somewhat invalidates his touching little letter. That said, I curious what this has to do with how people are receiving the latest Trek movie?

Anyone who thought Star Trek was some gay science fiction full of technobabble never got what the series was about and changing things to make it more marketable to slack jawed idiots is hardly a positive step in the franchise's development. The problem with simplifying things is it also makes them a great deal less memorable.
The film is a great popcorn flick but it has nothing that makes it any different from a whole line of action sci fi special effects films which have all become so generic that there is little to distinguish them from each other.
That is what Abram's Trek is, generic canned science fiction with simulated Star Trek flavor.
Republic Veteran
# 16
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
This reminds me of the TOS Vs. TNG back in the late 80's just fans who can't handle that there is always a new Generation with different taste.

Damn kids....Oh no I'm my father NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Survivor of Romulus
# 17
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
This reminds me of the TOS Vs. TNG back in the late 80's just fans who can't handle that there is always a new Generation with different taste.

Damn kids....Oh no I'm my father NOOOOOOO!!!!!!
lol yeah.

To quote Grandpa Simpson: "I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you."
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Anyone who thought Star Trek was some gay science fiction full of technobabble never got what the series was about
What,people going on space adventures saving the day and stuff in a future where people where some what better than today until 1987 when they started to screw it up by changing somewhat better people into unrealistic saints that were boring as well as naive idiots, focusing on technobable, and becoming anal about minutia no one really cared about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Of course in this case again what the new generation wants isn't that different from TOS
Captain
# 19
03-13-2013, 03:12 PM
ST 09 was fin Hollywood isn't doing smart anymore. as a movie. The TNG movies were not cereberal save for Insurrection anyhow(people are still arguing over that one). The only real loss is Trek is no longer on tv anymore where it belongs (tv has smartened up and hollywood has dumbed down). I must say the lens flare is really annoying though.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 20
03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Step 1. The Enterprise is not and I repeat, not a brewery.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.