Ensign
# 1 Get Loot from crates
03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Hey all,

I'm at a point in a mission I'm working on where you are supposed to look through crates in order to find three items to help you repair a power core. I have everything set up, but the characters interact with the crate and then that part of the mission is checked off as complete. I have no idea how to actually give them the item they need.

Ideally I would like to have them check crates and get some items that don't help the mission. In three of the crates there will be the items they need that will check the mission objectives off as done to move on to the next part of the mission. Basically, it's what Alimac30 did in the beginning of his mission 'The Mayans of Balnar Moon'.

The whole idea reminds me of the success/failure portion of a dialogue tree, but how do you implement it with items?

If anybody can point me in the right direction i would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance!
Captain
# 2
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmurray View Post
Hey all,

I'm at a point in a mission I'm working on where you are supposed to look through crates in order to find three items to help you repair a power core. I have everything set up, but the characters interact with the crate and then that part of the mission is checked off as complete. I have no idea how to actually give them the item they need.

Ideally I would like to have them check crates and get some items that don't help the mission. In three of the crates there will be the items they need that will check the mission objectives off as done to move on to the next part of the mission. Basically, it's what Alimac30 did in the beginning of his mission 'The Mayans of Balnar Moon'.

The whole idea reminds me of the success/failure portion of a dialogue tree, but how do you implement it with items?

If anybody can point me in the right direction i would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance!
If I understand what you're trying to do, then the easiest thing you could do is follow the object interact with a popup dialogue that informs the player of what they found and what is now in their (imaginary) inventory.

A cooler thing to do is have new objects appear on top of the crate via triggers, set to disappear when the player "picks them up" by interacting with them. We don't have many good small props for that but you might find something or use the top of something that is hidden in the bottom of the crate.

I hope that helps.
Ensign
# 3
03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your answer (and thanks for your great tutorials)!

Upon a replay of the mission I had mentioned I realize Alimac30 created it as you said: with a branching dialogue tree and an imaginary inventory. It's weird that I remember items going into my inventory... the power of imagination, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Now off to do some more work on my mission!