Commander
First off, I want to say I am not here to complain but to offer true solutions to some stagnating game choices, thus my suggestions are offered to see the game userbase grow concurrently with Cryptic's revenue. I realize this game is about making money, so I will make suggestions that I think will clearly improve the game but with Cryptic's goal in mind. As my risk management teacher used to say, "the most important thing to look at is variation, variation, variation" and it is definitely needed to bring this game on par with other MMO's.

Now the most obvious improvement that needs to be made to this game is variability. The game is way too predictable, from consoles all the way to weapons, gear, and ships. I will not address ships in this thread as that needs a thread of its own, but I will address consoles, weapons, and gear. This first post is only addressing consoles, but later posts in the same thread will address weapons, and gear both space and ground. The easiest change is consoles, they need more randomized additional bonuses. What do I mean, well for one NO purple console in the same level tier should be at same power as a blue or lower. This is seen as unimaginative, as other MMO add several additional bonuses to differentiate between uncommon, rare, very rare, ultra rare, and legendary upgrades. Example MK XI 28.1% is the same as Blue Mk XII 28.1% and they are both Upper Half-Rear Admiral. This looks to gamers as lazy and since a randomized system already exists with DOFF's and POFF's, there is no reason it can't exist with consoles. This is a small upgrade that will bring alot of excitement to the game by adding +1 randomized skills but mk 1-6, + 2 randomized skills to mk 7-10, and +3 randomized skills to mk 11-16...I will address the mk higher than 12 in another post about the new level expansion to Full Admiral. Dual weapons coming out of Lockboxes and purchased from dilithium/zen stores should be even more unique with a forth possible random increase in basic proc skills like critical chance, accuracy, and damage. How are these power to be distributed, on what lvl, and what format? The how is long thus I will make a list:

MK 1-6 Green - 1 of these skills
+2 to character skills
+1% base increase
+1% ship special ability
+1 sec reduction charge

MK 1-6 Blue - 2 of these skills
+3 to character skills
+2% base increase
+2% ship special ability
+2 second reduction charge

MK 1-6 Purple - 3 of these skills
+4 character skills
+3% base increase
+3% ship special ability
+3 second reduction charge

Just to clarify, White consoles, weapons, and gear shall not have Any of these options. There is a 25% chance of getting consoles with these abilities purchased from zen/dilithium stores and 5% from drops, and 75% to 95% respectively for regular consoles with no abilities. Thus regular MK consoles are still possible. Character skills, base increases, ship specials, and second reductions are ability specific not universal. Example: Prefire chamber Purple MK XI shield penetration +7% skill, + 5% skill bonus, + 1.5% plasma damage proc rate. Now this makes a console that is consider pretty useless into a console some would want to keep. It balances the issues with consoles that no one wants and if you wanted to get more specific, certain skills could be linked to certain consoles like shield + skills to shield consoles and so on.

As you go to higher tiers the amount and frequency of additional randomization should increase based on weapons types and expected usage. This is where it could get difficult but still simple when it comes to programming as ALL these abilities exist already. Purple will start to separate at these tiers thus they get additional possibilities. Since these are completely random one can get double ability percentages, bonuses, or abilities.

MK 7-10 Green - 1 of these skills
+3 to character skills
+2% base increase
+2% ship special ability
+1 sec reduction charge
+.5% proc rate

MK 7-10 Blue - 2 of these skills
+4 to character skills
+4% base increase
+4% ship special ability
+2 second reduction charge
+.7% proc rate

MK 7-10 Purple - 3 of these skills
+5 character skills
+5% base increase
+5% ship special ability
+4 second reduction charge
+1% proc rate
+5% skill bonus
+5% expertise bonus

As said before the higher tiers get more unique as Purple consoles will now have a 1% chance to add additional ensign and lieutenant lvl skills. Initially all skills could apply to every console, but as this game improves specific skills could tailor to specific console if the need arrives.

MK 11-16 Green - 1 of these skills
+3 to character skills
+2% base increase
+2% ship special ability
+2 sec reduction charge
+.5% proc rate
+5.5 shield regen

MK 11-16 Blue - 2 of these skills
+5 to character skills
+5% base increase
+5% ship special ability
+3 second reduction charge
+.7% proc rate
+10.5 shield regen

MK 11-16 Purple - 3 of these skills
+7 character skills
+7% base increase
+7% ship special ability
+4 second reduction charge
+1% proc rate
+5% skill bonus
+5% expertise bonus
+15 shield regen
+1 ensign lvl ability
+1 lieutenant ability

The reason for these additions are not to overpower characters, as the nerfs on damage in STF missions, and all missions could easily be increased to previous lvls. Plus I will address new "Adapted STF missions and new Adapted sets." Also, if you are going to release MK XI special weapons please, please in the future offer MK XII upgrades immediately as these are released. Reasoning; if you want people to really use the zen store to then you have to offer QUALITY reason to purchase items. Nothing is more disappointing than having MK XI items be considered "of comparable level" considering even MK XII is not considered Vice Admiral level. This is not a complaint, this is a request from many who play other MMO's and still play this game daily. Lastly, I ask that Devs really think on what the difference between MK X, MK XI, and MK XII sets really mean as sets like the Borg set that go from MK XI to MK XII with NO Engine upgrade really don't ring well with your hardcore players. Also, miniscule upgrades with no additional skills from MK X to MK XI to MK XII is pretty distinct in this MMO, not to compare to others but Unique gear at lower levels pales in comparison in other MMOs without completely nerfing lower level gear. Lastly, upgrades for sets found in story modes and made by players needs to be adjusted. The Breen ships were released but the Breen sets offered no upgrades...why again? While this was corrected for the Dominion, we still have Breen sets with no upgrades. Also where is the Full Cardassian weapon beam choices, I understand not releasing cannons but dual beams at least makes the ships more complete. Aegis, while some of the strongest MK X gear, it doesn't make sense not to offer MK XI AND MK XII upgrades through the reputation system or through the fleet starbase. Using the zen/dilithium system is expected but with thoughtful upgrades many would flock to buy a MK XI and MK XII Aegis set. I will give my ideas on the differences between Space set and Ground sets in the next thread.

I invite everyone to critique my thread and offer ideas. I also implore devs to consider these "easy" adjustments as they are much more effective in maintaining a userbase than big glitchy patches, and nerfing abilities. power can be adjusted with variability as most people will never get the same gear with enough of it. and combat styles will be favored over just more powerful ships. Thanks everyone in advance for reading my suggestions.
Commander
# 2 Weapons and Gear changes.
03-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Weapons are good they way they are with one exception...beams. Beams need a higher disabling proc rate to make up for the significantly lower firing rate and damage. The energy it takes to push beams compared to cannons is significant when it terms of damage/energy ratio. Beams should obviously have more than just an increased firing range as very fast ships make the firing range of cannons pointless without the use of engine disabling skills i.e. Tractor Beam.

Gear is even more obviously but the changes needed are more elaborate. For one MK X, MK XI, MK XII sets need to be comparably different, meaning an extra skill or increased skill effectiveness beyond the usual deflector/engine/shield number increases. This is a major problem in this game and makes the extra effort for upgrading annoying and almost worthless. A good example is the Maco space gear, the graviton beam doesn't change in effectiveness at all when upgrading. Yes there is a slight increase to to increase in graviton generator bonus, but the actual beam is exactly the same. This the only MMO I have seen they does not improve on a special skill with a tier upgrade. A solutions to this could simple be an additional proc added to the beam like 5% chance to disable shields or a cool effect for the MK XII only that has the skill fire two graviton beams, one that disables shields and one that disables auxiliary. Both would have a percentage chance like MK XI could have a 2.5% chance and MK XII could have a 5% chance.

These changes could be applied to all sets, like the much needed Borg MK XII space set that doesn't even have engine value changes from MK XI to MK XII. Giving MK XII Borg set a special dual tractor beam skill would be cool or even more inventive would be to make the regenerative shield ability affect nearby allies at a lower rate. Again, these changes are simple and would bring excitement to the game as there will be very distinct difference between Lower Rear Admiral, Upper Rear Admiral, and Vice Admiral. Making these changes before the May launch would bring more players to the game and could also be used to create more monetary activity by offering these upgrades through the Fleet. One thing that really annoyed players was the "Adapted Maco and Omega sets". Switching the Federation and Klingon values and abilities was simply seen as lazy especially considering the cost. These set are supposed to be "Adapted" to the Borg not between the Federation and Klingon, thus; the applied changes to the MK XII set could be made through the Adapted sets or the Adapted set could lead to an adapted STF missions that require at least one purchase Adapted set to play that level. This way everyone will want to buy the Adapted sets and see what the changes to the "Adapted STF's" really are. I will address my idea of Adapted STF's later in this thread.

Again I hope some of these ideas can be considered as I see the lack of variability to be one of the major issues of this game. These ideas don't make the game more complicated but add value by adding options. I will also expand on my idea of sets that have no MK XII variants and how they could be unique, including expanding the idea that certain sets have an additional skill when applied to specific ships. Thank you in advance for reading and additional ideas.
Commander
Alright in my first post I mentioned what consoles skills should be at levels higher than our current consoles, now I am going to explain why this important for the future of this game. Since a new level cap is looming, probably sometime during the end of the year, I wanted to address how Cryptic could handle a decent level up without having to make a ridiculous amount of new tiers.

First Expand Lower Rear Admiral from 5 to 10 levels. One this makes sense in a military aspect as Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, General, and General of the Army are the typical sets for progression. The link below explains my logic.

http://www.army.mil/symbols/armyranks.html

Now if you wanted to be technical and use the Admiral ranks for the Federation and the Army ranks for the Klingons then the chart stays the same in ranks but the naming is slightly different plus a special class ranks for the Navy that can't be used again. So that is still Lower Rear admiral, Upper Rear admiral, Vice admiral, Admiral, and Fleet admiral. What this means is Cryptic could easily expand MK IX and MK X weapons to make them useful and add only one true level to the game but add 2 1/2 levels to the game with the next expansion. With the future possibility of adding General of the Army or Fleet Admiral at a later date. Here is the explanation below. Also since the federation is at war, Fleet admiral can be used as stated in the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._rank_insignia

So the changes would go like this:

Lower Rear Admiral = First half of current Upper Rear Admiral

Upper Rear Admiral = All of current Vice Admiral

Vice Admiral = A whole new setting and be given MK XIII - MK XIV weapons and consoles

*Admiral = A whole new setting and be given MK XV - MK XVI weapons and consoles

*This would be the rank everyone is looking for but you would start the new levels at Vice Admiral 1 which robs no one that has reached lvl 50 of their rank and items as MK XI - MK XII could properly be labeled as Upper Rear Admiral consoles and weapons.

Why would Cryptic want to go through all this trouble one would ask...longevity!? Adding 2+ ranks would make leveling more concrete and not make it something that can be done in 3 days. Also this makes labeling easy, and corrects the ridiculous issues of Rear Admiral ships being more powerful than payed Vice Admiral ships. This is an issue I will address in a separate Forum about necessary ships balancing without nerfing. Lastly this gives Cryptic breathing room in creating new items for one class but making 3 classes worth of item distinctions. By only changing the positioning of some classes, one can change the name of items that should be Vice Admiral or should be Lower Read Admiral with true distinction. Many have said the level difference from Lower Rear Admiral to Vice Admiral is inconsequential which is why so many people are flying around in Lower Rear Admiral Lockbox ships. By making sure Vice Admiral ships have a distinct level difference, Jem'Hadar ship could properly be labeled Upper Rear Admiral or Vice, and Ferengi ships could be labeled Lower Rear Admiral--these are just examples.

Lastly by doing this clear distinction between levels Cryptic could finally add true end game content by adding ships to every class level with races around the quadrant that are not part of any "great" space conglomerate. I will again address ships and additional races in another thread. With a little labeling and the creation of two additional skill trees, Cryptic could have a game that won't need another level upgrade until mid year 5 going into year six. Year six to eight should be the end of Star Trek online if this game progress correctly with the introduction of Fleet Admiral by beginning of year 6 the latest. If Cryptic randomizes more items and brings a true defined war to the conflicts of the Federation, Klignons, Romulans, Tholians, the Borg/Undine, and the Dominion/Cardassians with a mixture of smaller groups causing chaos. Then, and only then would this game truly be MMORPG of the year. The Star Trek Universe is exciting, and if even half this excitement is brought to the game, it will be a profitable game for Cryptic and an exciting game for Star Trek players.

I will expand on specific changes in space armor sets that are currently Mk XI next week. Also I will address the possible ways of making ground combat more exciting with formations. Thank you in advance for considering my ideas and offering suggestions of your own.

Last edited by dark4blood; 05-04-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Commander
Well folks changes are on the horizon, so I am going to postpone my review of all special sets and all ships until after the new Romulan update. That said, it does not stop me from addressing a small issue that was very poorly delivered to expanded Federation and Klingon Space sets...the Adapted space sets.

All they are is switched and with that switch, there is really not "ADAPTION" to anything. If the set is made to adapt to the the Klingon/Federation war then add abilities to the original Maco set like this.

M.A.C.O. Graviton Deflector Array Mk XII
Very Rare Ship Deflector Dish
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

Values do not reflect skills or other modifiers

+17.5 Starship Shield Emitters - change to 20.5

+26.2 Starship Structural Integrity

+17.5 Starship Shield System - change to 20.5

+8.8 Starship Electro-Plasma System

+17.5 Starship Inertial Dampers - remove
+17.5 Starship Graviton Generators

Add

+ 22.5 Starship Sensors

M.A.C.O. Impulse Engines Mk XII
Very Rare Impulse Engine
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

+8.8 Starship Driver Coil

+12.5 Flight Speed

+6.4 Flight Turn Rate - change to 9.4

Thrusters: 25% speed when engines are disabled
While in sector space, your Asynchronous Warp Field allows a movement speed exceeding Warp 12. The maximum speed is modified by your Driver Coil skill.
Full Impulse

All Power to Engines

M.A.C.O. Resilient Shield Array Mk XII
Very Rare Ship Shields
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

7,775.9 Maximum Shield Capacity

(5% Absorption, 5% Bleedthrough)

199.4 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds

Reduces All Energy Damage to Shields by 10% - change to 15%

When receiving All Energy Damage, applies Power Conduit Link

+2 All Power Settings for 15 sec

Reduces Plasma Damage to Shields by 20%

Add

Reduce Disruptor to Shields by 20% when Power Conduit Link is activated.

Lastly

Set 2: Magnetoplasma Relays

Passive
+5% Power Recharge Speed - change to +7%
+15.2 Starship Power Insulators

Set 3: Heavy Graviton Beam x 2

Targets Foe
65' Targeting Arc
10 kilometer range
2 sec charge
0.5 sec activate
2 min recharge -
to target: 3,003.2 Kinetic Damage (50% Shield Penetration/1% chance to ignore shields) - change to 5003.2
to target: +1,015.6 Repel
to target: Auxiliary Systems Offline for 5 sec
to target: Impulse Systems Offline for 5 sec
to target: Weapons Systems Offline for 5 sec
to self: -40.2 Current Auxiliary Power - change to -60.2
Damage and repel effect are affected by Starship Particle Generators, Starship Power Insulators, Starship Graviton Generators and Starship Subspace Decompiler

The reason for this is to keep Federation play styles and Klingon play styles different while also giving people a REAL reason to upgrade to an "ADAPTED" set. The Omega set would look like this.

Omega Force Tachyon Deflector Array Mk XII
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

+26.2 Starship Sensors

+17.5 Starship Targeting Systems

+17.5 Starship Inertial Dampers

+8.8 Starship Graviton Generators - remove

+17.5 Starship Power Insulators
+17.5 Starship Particle Generator

Add

+ 30 Starship Decompiler

Omega Force Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk XII
Very Rare Impulse Engine
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

+12 Flight Speed -

(Efficient at High Power Levels)

+5.1 Flight Turn Rate - change to +7.1

100% recharge time reduction to Slipstream Drive - change to 150%
Full Impulse

All Power to Engines

+101 Flight Speed
Diverts all power to engines

Omega Force Shield Array Mk XII
Very Rare Ship Shields
Bind On Pickup
Vice Admiral

7,366.6 Maximum Shield Capacity - change to 8,366.6

(10% Bleedthrough)

288.6 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds - change to 298.6

When receiving All Energy Damage, 50% chance of applying Energy Wake

+5 Flight Speed for 5 sec
+30% Flight Turn Rate for 5 sec

Add

Reduce Antiproton/Polaron by 10% due to higher activation rate

Set 2: Tetryon Glider

ENHANCEMENT
Adds -1.2 Shield Drain to all energy weapon attacks - change to -1.5 shiled drain
Affected by: Starship Flow Capacitors

Set 3: Gravitic Anchor x 3

TARGETS FOE
10 km range
0.5 sec activation
3 min recharge -
-25 Kinetic Damage resistance for 10 sec - change to 12 sec
Disables target's ability to turn for 10 sec - change to 12 sec
-50% Defense for 10sec - change to 12 sec
Skills that affect this ability: none

Lastly the Klingon special version should reflect the adaptation of Klingons fighting both the Federation and the Borg.

Klingon Honor Guard Positron Deflector Array Mk XII
Bind On Pickup
Lieutenant General

+18 Starship Structural Integrity

+8.8 Starship Electro-Plasma System - change to +12.8

+18 Starship Flow Capacitors
+18 Starship Graviton Generators

+8.8 Starship Stealth - change to +15.2
+18 Starship Particle Generator - remove

Add

+20.6 to Inertial Dampeners

Klingon Honor Guard Impulse Engines Mk XII
Very Rare Impulse Engine
Bind On Pickup
Lieutenant General

+12 Flight Speed

(Efficient at Low Power Levels)

+4.5 Flight Turn Rate - change to +6.0
+3.8 Weapon Power Setting - change to +4.5

+3.8 Shield Power Setting
+3.8 Auxiliary Power Setting - Change to + 5

Hot restart: Automatically removes engine disabled conditions after 1 second.
Full Impulse

All Power to Engines

+101 Flight Speed
Diverts all power to engines

Honor Guard Covariant Shield Array Mk XII
Very Rare Ship Shields
Bind On Pickup
Lieutenant General

8,432 Maximum Shield Capacity - change to 8,732
(10% Bleedthrough)

151 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds - Change to 225

When Receiving all Energy Damage, 25% Chance of applying Subvert Targeting Array to Damage owner

-25% Accuracy for 10 sec - change to -35 Accuracy for 12 seconds
Placate for 1 sec - change to 3 seconds

Add

Reduces Phaser Damage to Shields by 15% - this is due to Klingons fighting Federation

Set 2: Tactical Readiness

Passive
+25% Bonus to Torpedo Damage - change to +30%
+7 Auxiliary Power Setting - change to +10
Slowly returns missing crew to disable status (works during combat)
+7 crew recovery rate - change to + 10
+70% resistance to crewman loss - change to += 75%

Set 3: Mask Energy Field

Affects Friend and Self
5 kilometer Sphere
0.5 sec activate
3 min recharge - reduce down to 2 minutes
to self: Applies Mask Energy Field for 18 sec - change to 20 seconds

Affects Friend and Self
3 kilometer Sphere - correctly list this as 5 kilometers
+2,265 Stealth
+15% Defense Bonus, lingers for 5 seconds after dropping Stealth - change to +20

With these additions and changes, the space set would would feel like a change or adaptation, not just a switch between Federation and Klingon. Personally it looks really "lazy" to use the Adapted name when nothing has been changed between the sets. The cloaking opportunity could easily be covered in another set for the Federation maybe using similar technology like the U.S.S. Pegasus and making it a set instead of making the ship available.

The next set that needs to be addressed is the Breen set/Aegis, but I will leave that for another period because they may offer a Breen/Aegis MK XII set coming with the new update.

Also the Ground sets could use these same changes, obviously with different numbers, so that they also don't feel cheap.

Lastly, if you really want people to start working together and also bring some excitement back to Borg missions. Add an Adapted Elite STF in which you must have completed All the requirements for Normal and Elite including the optional goals. This Adapted Elite will show what the borg has learned and will add enemy tactics never seen before.

First off, Borg Tactical cubes will now launch 3 Diamond ships for backup. This will obviously not be the borg queen diamonds but Borg Tactical Elite Diamonds similar to Locutus of Borg. These will offer a special Triumvirate skill similar to what is seen on a small scale when fighting Unimatrix ships. They will also employ special Borg science attacks not seen before by any Federation or Klingon species. Using skills learned from the other 9000+ species the Borg has assimilated. Lastly, to really put a hamper into players plans, Borg Tactical Cubes will have a 10% chance to call an additional Cube when below 10% health.

Spheres will have a new ability to fire 360 degree Omega Torpedo attack embracing the circle defense only possible with Spheres. Tactical Cubes will also use a stronger version of Regenerative Shield ability. Lastly, another new skill that both Cubes and Tactical Cubes use with varying frequency, 5% of the time for Cubes and 10% of the time for Tactical Cubes, Tachyon Wave. It is a quick spinning action similar to Charged Particle Burst. The cube would do a quick 360 degree spin making a shockwave that reduces shield significantly and has a 3% chance to take them offline for 8 seconds.

Again this a big change, but not just an unnecessary increase in damage. It will be a true challenge and somewhat exciting when backup arrives to assist Borg Tactical cubes for Infected, Scimitars will receive Borg D'deridex backups in Khitomer, and Borg Cubes will receive Sphere Borg Bortasqu Cruiser backup. This again has a 10% chance of happening when below 10% health.

The Khitomer Scimitar will also be allowed to launch small craft Birds of Prey with her normal attacks.

This is why working as a team will be essential and DPS only will not work, similar to the Borg Queen missions. This would also give a reason for the Adapted set, and could also lead to expanded Borg Adapted space set.

Last edited by dark4blood; 05-08-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Commander
Now that the Romulan update is in full effect, I want to address ships balance and start with basic needed upgrades to the most commonly disputed issue...beams arrays. At first when I approached this issue I said we may need to change things like the firing range of Escorts vs. Cruisers vs. Carriers vs. Dreadnaughts, however the more I thought of the recent game changes the more I realized this wasn't practical and Cryptic would never go for such a dramatic change in gameplay.

So now here is my simple fix for beams vs. cannons, all beam only ships should get Direct energy modulation 1, Higher Tier/Quality ships should get Direct Energy Modulation 2, and the Enterprise being the best with Direct Energy Modulation 3. The reason for this is that the show has seen many consistent uses of Direct Energy Modulation when it comes to the Enterprise versus the Borg and other where they could not initially defeat their opponents. I say this is a simple fix as it does not require serious changes to Cruiser/Carriers/ and Dreadnaughts, and it does not NERF ships with cannons. I would like if player would comment on this idea, and maybe this will lead to more beam array only ships being released in the future instead of cannon using ships of late.
Lieutenant
# 6
06-25-2013, 10:23 PM
i usualy fly as an engi and i would love to see more beam fit cruisers and escorts as things are now cannons are way over used dont get me wrong they have there uses but more often then not people forget that a cruser is a suport ship ment for shield and hull healing and decent damage with beams as things are now you have to have a perfect build and millions in doffs in order to do decent dps in a cruiser and even being able to tank/heal effectivly that being said i would like to have a tac oriented cruiser/escort built for using beam arrays and to and yes said cruiser/escort should get a damge boost to offset the weaker arrays dps
Captain
# 7
06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
its too bad that the time you took to type all this up was wasted...

the devs arent going to change anything...
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Commander
# 8 Maybe
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
But we have seen ideas adapted in some form as more variety in fleet consoles are being made with each update. Before we only had the one proc consoles, not they have 3.
Closed Thread