Captain
# 1 Making a fleet
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
If you like to start a fleet is that worth your time or is it fullish to start one ?
Or are you better off buy over a fleet or whatever...
Captain
# 2
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
It depends on what you are wanting a Fleet for. If you are just wanting access to Fleet Ships and the like it is probably better to join an established Fleet: you contribute to their Fleet Projects, earn your Fleet Marks, and buy what you want.

Fleets are generally for groups of people who enjoy playing together and want to share resources. A Fleet of 1 is just extra storage - and a casual player in a 1-person Fleet is never going to be able to advance a Fleet in any meaningful way.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I made a fleet for my 2 main characters, so I could share equipment and credits between them easily, but at the same time my alts are in a small fleet.

At this point I'd say there's absolutely no point in starting a fleet on your own, unless you wanted to transfer equipment between your characters. Even if you team up with a couple of friends (max. 5) you're still better off joining a small-to-mid sized fleet, where you actually get to contribute and requisition equipment and ships in turn. If you just want to goof off with friends, not caring about the starbase system, sure do it and have fun, but if you actually want to start building your own base either on your own or with some friends, be prepared, that it's highly unlikely, that anyone else will join your endeavours.
Captain
# 4
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
OK well Just wanted to start a Klingon fleet that specializes in something but I hear so much grieve about the star base system that it is unable as it is...
That's why I asked
Republic Veteran
# 5
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
the biggest issue is the dil sink with a starbase. If you really look at it, it's not so bad. What makes it hard is that for some reason fleet leaders feel the need to start projects that are absolutely pointless as far as progression. Think of some of those special projects that you might sometimes see in a fleet like confiscation of contraband or trading trip to the gamma quadrant. It states in the description they are useful for making sure people can get fleet credits, but other than that they are a complete waste.

There are also the limited time projects where you can get something like tribbles on the floor, exocomps flying around, or even the window opened to your starbase. Each of those cost 200k dil. In my opinion, those are a complete waste of resources. 200k dil is not easy to come by for a lot of people. Yet, some fleet still insist on doing those pointless projects just so they can make a starbase look pretty. Aesthetics mean nothing without functionality.

Instead of blowing your donations on those pointless projects, stick with the ones ones that earn the most starbase experience. If you need to replenish provisions, if it's available, use the project that asks for a combination of dilithium and other items instead of just 200k dil. They normally give the exact same benefit, you just pay for it differently.
# 6
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I would echo the other posters in suggesting you join up with a mid to large size fleet and just donate to their projects once you have established a presence within the fleet. Starting a new fleet would require so much in resources that you would need a couple of "whale" fleet members to make the starbase and embassy progressions actually worthwhile.

I started a single person fleet at S6 release with my 11 Fed alts and still haven't finished T2 SB or even T1 embassy. It is very resource intensive trying to fill out all the needed contributions for the projects.

There will probably be "a few" Romulan fleets that start up when the faction comes into the game. They will be starting from ground zero, be challenged in keeping fleet members and probably won't have a lot of fleet versions of ships available.
Captain
# 7
03-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by auricius
At this point I'd say there's absolutely no point in starting a fleet on your own, unless you wanted to transfer equipment between your characters. Even if you team up with a couple of friends (max. 5) you're still better off joining a small-to-mid sized fleet, where you actually get to contribute and requisition equipment and ships in turn. If you just want to goof off with friends, not caring about the starbase system, sure do it and have fun, but if you actually want to start building your own base either on your own or with some friends, be prepared, that it's highly unlikely, that anyone else will join your endeavours.
So sad but true. Our fleet recruitment rate is like 1 person every 2 months or so, even then it's because they're either real life acquaintances or family members. It's a very depressing sto reality that no one wants to join small fleets who wants recruits to contribute to projects, even though we're steadily progressing. Oh well.

@olivia211,

Seconded. Our fleet has given up on limited time special projects, they're a huge waste of resources when we still need dilithium to progress to higher tier since they unlock the most coveted of fleet ships. We started a few before we found out all of them have extremely expensive requirements, but now they're just sitting there collecting dust lol lol. Even people who were fond of the idea of tribbles making trouble on the starbase or a silent (but very talkative) Morn quickly dismissed the idea of paying 200k dil just for the esthetics. Building up mail, shipyard, bank , fleet stores and of course provisions are main priority.

There certainly are benefits to a joining mid to large sized fleet. They have their own annoying issues but they are definitely dwarfed by the benefits you gain (if the fleet leader is good at managing fleet assets).
Forum fun murdered. No longer in service.

Last edited by deokkent; 03-14-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Captain
# 8
03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Fleets are generally for groups of people who enjoy playing together and want to share resources. A Fleet of 1 is just extra storage - and a casual player in a 1-person Fleet is never going to be able to advance a Fleet in any meaningful way.
Just to let you know - I just found out Levi3 - has launched the T4 shipyard upgrade after finishing the T4 sci upgrade - you probably remember him completing the first solo T3 starbase back in Oct.
Captain
# 9
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Just to let you know - I just found out Levi3 - has launched the T4 shipyard upgrade after finishing the T4 sci upgrade - you probably remember him completing the first solo T3 starbase back in Oct.
I remember him quite well, but in no stretch of the word could he be considered a "casual player." He was grinding 8+ hours per day on dozens of characters to achieve those goals. I hope he makes it, though! I would have gone insane in the first month doing that much repetitive grinding.
Captain
# 10
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I have been looking very hard to find capable longterm players to form an enduring fleet with. To get an idea of what I'm looking for and the challenges read the threads:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=575291
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=584251