Captain
# 11
03-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
That video is practically ancient now, and has been discussed to death. Suffice it to say, the Polygon will be around for quite a while yet, and that point cloud/voxel stuff isn't viable in a proper game at this point.
Interesting to hear that from someone in the industry. It certainly looks like the future though. Both this and cloud gaming could have the video card companies (like your sponsors) on the run in the near future.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 12
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Interesting to hear that from someone in the industry. It certainly looks like the future though. Both this and cloud gaming could have the video card companies (like your sponsors) on the run in the near future.
Of course its in "the future"; everything is. But they don't have video card companies "on the run".

Trillions of particles require at least trillions of bytes (probably 3x more than that if you want a high range in each spatial dimension). And then you'd need multi-petaflops of processing power (probably even exaflops) to do any operations on that many particles at once.

That sorta of hardware is at least 15 years away from being common in home computers.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 13
03-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
Yes point cloud data would be easier on your graphics card than polygons, but the CPU and memory requirements are enormous. He is said he has so many billions of points rendered on the screen at any time. You have to remember every one of those points requires an individual X, Y, and Z coordinate, and needs to be stored on a hard drive, loaded into memory, and processed by a CPU. You're talking many terabytes of data.There aren't any desktop PC's existing right now that could run something like what you see in that video at this point. Those Devs must have access to their own supercomputer.
Indeed. Then try animating anything . . .
(Note that those videos show an entirely static world.)
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Of course its in "the future"; everything is. But they don't have video card companies "on the run".

Trillions of particles require at least trillions of bytes (probably 3x more than that if you want a high range in each spatial dimension). And then you'd need multi-petaflops of processing power (probably even exaflops) to do any operations on that many particles at once.

That sorta of hardware is at least 15 years away from being common in home computers.
They especially don't have video card companies on the run because those companies already make devices capable of this stuff. The market's exceptionally limited, but there's certain professions who will buy $120,000 pieces of hardware for highly specific computations. Similar systems are used in physics, medical, and engineering simulations, and ever since Silicon Graphics was bought and cannibalized to make database servers it's the video card manufacturers that took over the market.

And seriously, lincolninspace, take off the tinfoil. Cryptic's sponsors are not video card companies. Video card companies don't sponsor games. Once upon a time it was the other way around, with game companies sponsoring video cards, but these days a good video card sells itself and doesn't need to be bundled with a good game.

Last edited by hevach; 03-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Captain
# 15
03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
It does seem a bit like making a tv with higher resolution than the human eye can perceive.
I know, it seems to me like theirs a certain point of; "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
It's a long ways off but PCR will probably be the biggest deal videogame tech since video cards (except maybe 3dvr, but that's another discussion).

The reason is for that is simple. CPU/GPU companies always need to keep pushing bigger badder tech out the door. But they also need to make a metric ton of cash to keep developing that tech. PCR is a great excuse for a tech boom. All of those multilayered CPUs that are mostly useless by today's standards? PCR will use them. The ever dropping price of RAM? PCR will make you buy terabytes of RAM for hundreds of dollars a stick. This stuff is big, big bucks and the guys that sell you the awesome hardware you buy now will be all for selling you more hardware.

P.S. I speculate on tech stocks (though not professionally). If I ever see a real push for PCR and I think the tech may be there in a few years, I'm going to be investing a lot of money. But that hasn't happened yet and unless some major breakthrough happens, I don't see the tech being able to make it work in the next 20 years.

P.S.S. What I think (i.e. hope) will happen is that we will have a continued push for smaller and smaller computers and devices on the market and then make a sudden shift back to bigger tech with more power and the power will be so extreme from all of the miniaturization that PCR will suddenly become possible. Things like local vehicle recognition systems, microrobotics, 3dvr and increasing demand for network throughput will be a big part of that switch back but then PCR will be the catalyst for a huge surge in tech development to support it.
Captain
# 17
03-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
And seriously, lincolninspace, take off the tinfoil. Cryptic's sponsors are not video card companies. Video card companies don't sponsor games. Once upon a time it was the other way around, with game companies sponsoring video cards, but these days a good video card sells itself and doesn't need to be bundled with a good game.
My comment has nothing to do with paranoia I was just referencing the fact that Nvidia advertises on their front page . I take it that these videos are likely a hoax.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 18
03-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Trust me this does not work in general - it looks nice but random situations like in sto this stuff cant do

Especially when stuff starts moveing it gets really bad

Last edited by johnsteward; 03-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.