Lt. Commander
# 11
03-15-2013, 02:00 AM
I have same problem, the frame rate in the selection sceen and loading screen goes up to 900 fps, thats what my problem is.
Career Officer
# 12
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Personally, I run STO in a borderless window, so the framerate is limited to my native/desktop rate.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Lieutenant
# 13
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
You should indeed enable V-Sync. Try forcing it in your video drivers if STO loses the setting or if it's bugged.

Vertical sync matches the framerate to your display refresh rate, most likely 60 or 75 Hz / fps, regardless if fullscreen or not. Also eliminates tearing of the screen, which can be annoying especially on low refresh rate screens. So it's an overall visual improvement. It's found in most games gfx menus as well as most video driver menus.
Career Officer
# 14
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdotsx View Post
You should indeed enable V-Sync.
In STO, this is found here:

Game Menu... Options... Video
... Monitor vertical sync [On | Off]
Captain
# 15
03-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
Don't forget to apply the thermal paste to your body as well. (wink)
Meaning... I'm hot???
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
03-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Something I've noticed as of recent is that "Limit FPS" and "V-sync" don't work or revert after exiting the game... Even running in a window FPS hit way past 100fps, causing high heat. Even adaptive v-sync in the nvidia driver doesnt seem to be working, its an annoyance having to re-enable limit fps every time I start the game.
Career Officer
# 17
03-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Seriously though, if you can render more than 60 FPS, enough to get your GPU to overheat, you may as well run in Borderless Window mode. Lets you alt-tab and such easier too. I tend to surf the web while I fly through sectors, keeping an eye on STO is in the background.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Seriously though, if you can render more than 60 FPS, enough to get your GPU to overheat, you may as well run in Borderless Window mode. Lets you alt-tab and such easier too. I tend to surf the web while I fly through sectors, keeping an eye on STO is in the background.

Borderless or not, running in a window I'm still hitting 3 digits, causing excess heat. V-sync doesn't seem to work at all in a window, and my desktop only runs at 60hz. Only way is to "Limit FPS" but it keeps turning back off.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Running at 1080p with nearly maxed out settings on my HD4890 and I'm only hitting Max of 130F *around 54-55c* at full load. This is with vsync on as well, those of you having issues you may want to try rolling back your drivers or using this ingame command, /maxfps an what ever your refresh rate is*/maxfps 60*, this command forces the game/video card to not go over your set value.

This also prevents your video card from Redlining *Constant 100% load* which leads to excessive heat.
Career Officer
# 20
03-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggmann88 View Post
Borderless or not, running in a window I'm still hitting 3 digits, causing excess heat. V-sync doesn't seem to work at all in a window, and my desktop only runs at 60hz. Only way is to "Limit FPS" but it keeps turning back off.
That's really weird, the concept of a single window not matching the refresh rate of the rest of the desktop boggles my mind.