Ensign
# 11
03-14-2013, 07:07 AM
I added myself to this endeavor last night (Marcus@Malanthris) and figured I'd chime in a little.

I'm doing things a little differently than normal for online games, where I typically join an established guild. I usually help out as much as asked but tend to avoid leadership as I do that for a living and everyone needs a break from decision making. The best guild I've ever been in had no leadership and was a group of mature, self-regulating people that got along and enjoyed the game together. I've been having difficulty finding such a group in numerous games, including this one. This also requires extensive screening of applicants which will keep numbers low.

It's been mentioned that competition for quality players is tough but to be quite honest there haven't been any guilds that really stood out and caught my eye. I haven't played enough to adequately gauge why. Perhaps I've been bitten too much recently by guilds where leadership has lost interest and am gun shy, or it could be a multitude of reasons. I will admit to being rather picky on what I attach my name to. I don't know how prevalent my type of player is but there have to be more out there.

I wouldn't let trolls or pessimists get you down, however. That's going to happen, especially in a free game.
Commander
# 12
03-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi Marcus, thanks for stopping by.

Yes, the ideal (in many things) would be if everyone was responsible and self principled, thereby needing no leader, yet equally accomplishing common goals while working with others. We do not however live in an ideal world and people (many in particular) have a long way to reach there. Until mental maturity is reached, the need for those who can plan and organise for others (someone who can tie someone else's shoes so to speak), will be there.

Competition for players is fierce not for the quality of the fleet, but for the need of players to make any fleet aspiring it. As everyone wants to be successful, everyone wants those who are able to advance them towards that goal. I understand, I'm looking for the same myself. The difference between me and the rest is that I am one of those same people who can make quality things and I look to work with, not for or above, others who want to do the same.

Thank you for the words of support, much appreciated.
I'll see you in game when it gets back up if you're on. l8rs.
Commander
# 13
03-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Bump! Waiting to meet you.
Commander
# 14
03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Bump, hopefully some of you stop by and see this.
Commander
# 15
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Bump, search is on.
Career Officer
# 16
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Xean -

I for one totally dismiss the notion that building a new fleet from the ground up is "impossible." All it takes is a few dedicated and patient individuals willing to invest the time and resources.

I have a long-term perspective. I'm a lifer, but I've only been playing this game for nine months. From my point of view, I'm just getting started. Nine months out of a lifetime is nothing. And this is a fairly young game - barely over three years old. I believe Dan Stahl when he says Cryptic has many many plans to expand and mature the game over coming years. As I said in my application, there's a whole galaxy out there to explore.

And since there will be a massive influx of new players in May, I think now is the perfect time to form a new fleet, so we have some time to build ourselves up before the wave arrives.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Commander
# 17
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you Sander. Unfortunately I was silenced for my tireless efforts in trying to find the right players in game and was unable to respond to your pm's. We will talk as soon as I'm able and perhaps we can find a way to communicate off game, perhaps start a Ventrillo or TS server, maybe X-fire like I used in RS.

Last edited by xtern1ty; 03-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtern1ty View Post
Thank you Sander. Unfortunately I was silenced for my tireless efforts in trying to find the right players in game and was unable to respond to your pm's. We will talk as soon as I'm able and perhaps we can find a way to communicate off game, perhaps start a Ventrillo or TS server, maybe X-fire like I used in RS.
Sorry about your struggles. Most people are sick to death of fleet recruitment spam in zone chat. (I know I am.)

A better way to recruit may be to watch zone chat for friendly voices (people trying help out newer players) and then contact them directly. It will take a while but that way you're only reaching out to people you actually want to reach.

I haven't logged on much myself this week (been travelling a lot) but you can reach me any time by PMing me in the forum. It will go straight to my email.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Commander
# 19
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok. Back up now.