Commander
# 31
03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
I'll keep that in mind!
I'd rather play and level slow while I learn then level fast and remain a n00b!
;-)
Commander
# 32
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
So, it is getting much better. I just hit Lt. Commander 10, and with that I got a new ship. My personal favorite, Constitution Cruiser from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The ship is my fav, not the movie). I spent hours on the Exchange carefully pouring over everything my level could buy to outfit my ship, great weapons, engines, consoles, shields. Spent a small fortune (Well for a newb it was a fortune). And went back to that mission that kicked my posterior, the one that it took me nearly half an hour to batter down the shields of an enemy ship... well it took less then 5 mins this time, for all three enemy ships together!

Woot! So, I've done a few more missions and I am much happier now. I am seriously considering paying for a subscription!

/emote: Snoopy Dance!
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astimingpyle View Post
So, it is getting much better. I just hit Lt. Commander 10, and with that I got a new ship. My personal favorite, Constitution Cruiser from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The ship is my fav, not the movie). I spent hours on the Exchange carefully pouring over everything my level could buy to outfit my ship, great weapons, engines, consoles, shields. Spent a small fortune (Well for a newb it was a fortune). And went back to that mission that kicked my posterior, the one that it took me nearly half an hour to batter down the shields of an enemy ship... well it took less then 5 mins this time, for all three enemy ships together!

Woot! So, I've done a few more missions and I am much happier now. I am seriously considering paying for a subscription!

/emote: Snoopy Dance!
Some more quick advice, don't worry about getting equipment from the Exchange during the early levels, you won't be using it long enough to get your money's worth. There is a vendor on Earth Space Dock right across from the Ship and Shuttle Requisition Officer (The person you talked to to get your new ship) that sells level appropriate White gear for Energy Credits, which is good enough to get through the story content.

What I've always done while leveling is to hit up Memory Alpha to craft whatever equipment I can, focusing on updating Consoles before anything else, because they tend to be more difficult to obtain through alternate means, and get the rest of my equipment through mission rewards.

And don't forget that if there is a piece of equipment you really like (Such as the Efficient Impulse Engines), you replay Episodes at a higher level to get level appropriate rewards. Press "L" to open the missions window, click on Episodes at the top, then pick which mission you want to replay. This is a great way to keep your equipment up-to-date without having to spend a fortune, though it can be time consuming if you're trying for a full loadout (I'm currently in the middle of replaying Second Star to the Right with my Klingon because I want a full battery of the weapons that mission rewards...)

EX: The episode that gives the previously mentioned Engines is minimum level 18, and they are Mark IV at that level. If you were to go back and replay it between levels 20-29, they would be Mark VI, 30-39 they're Mark VIII, etc..

If you ever have any issues, feel free to hit me up at @FuzzyDarkMatter in-game, I'd be happy to help out.