Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
If I was going to take a license to print money and mess it up so badly that no one in the industry would ever hire me to work again, I'd do exactly what Star Wars: The Old Republic has done since launch, step by step.

If it was any other license in the world, the plug would have been pulled by now.
/Thread

I've always wanted to do that.
Rihannsu
# 12
03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Out of interest does anyone know how TOR is doing? I know it was having its problems before free to play, then got the usual big boost of players but after that I have no idea.

I dont mean the usual 'i hate it, therefore everyone in the world must think the same' that we get on the internet. does anyone have any financial reports, or play the game and see first hand if its growing or going backwards.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
03-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Out of interest does anyone know how TOR is doing? I know it was having its problems before free to play, then got the usual big boost of players but after that I have no idea.

I dont mean the usual 'i hate it, therefore everyone in the world must think the same' that we get on the internet. does anyone have any financial reports, or play the game and see first hand if its growing or going backwards.
I got tempted to do the free-to-try thing and get to lvl 15 because I was looking forward to f2p on TOR.
In f2try I was able to roll up 6 toons (max allowed 8) and I played each of them with a different style (something I don't normally do) so I had my sniper/warrior/tank/healer/mage/etc.. I had toolbars up the sides of the screen and at the bottom, play was quick - little to no lag, and my pokey PC was able to handle the rendering easily.

Post f2p, I was only allowed 2 toon slots so deleting any toons to start again would have left me with fewer toons. Since I already had 6, I was able to keep them but buying extra slots would have been meaningless until I bought more than 4.
Side toolbars disappeared into the mists of "you want it, you buy it" as did my companions abilities in crafting (only allowed to keep 1 of the 3 I had from f2t). Half of the servers were closed, so my characters were migrated to another, resulting in having to rename 2 of my toons! All of a sudden, I experienced MAJOR lag, repeated disconnects and my PC had real difficulty keeping up with the landscape (I was walking on an invisible, elevated platform over Coruscant... SCARY long way down). Every little thing I had from f2t was suddenly gated behind Cartel coins and either a big grind for little reward or real money for same.
I gave it a week post f2p and have not been back since. I uninstalled and won't be tempted to go back for at least 6 months... maybe they will have smoothed things out by then?
Captain
# 14
03-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
It's tradable Lobi Crystals. Okay.
that! PWE is the one that invented it...EA just made it slightly worst. However in my opinion SWTOR is more a subscrition based MMO and a free to play RPG...you are so limited in swtor, even as a one time subscriber, that if you want to play the game in multiplayer you need to subscribe. But frankly for me it is not worth a subscription, i'd rather go back to WOW if i wanted to pay subscription.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 15
03-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post

In the evenings the 20 servers are generally running Heavy Loads, and some are running Very Heavy Loads - and the weekends Very Heavy is quite common. That doesn't really say anything, though. Just checked the Servers, 5 of the 8 US servers are running Standard right now, and all 9 of the European Servers are running Standard. The 3 Asian Servers are running light, but it's quite early there.

I do see a lot of characters with Sprint at levels below 15, so that's indicative that a lot of players are still Subscribers rather than FTP - though it's possible they paid for the Sprint with money. I also see a lot of characters wearing Cartel Store clothing and gear, at all levels, so I think their players are spending money. I also see a lot of Cartel Speeders - which stems from the fact that you don't get Speeder access until level 25 when you're FTP unless you pay for it.

Overall I would say there are a lot more people playing now then there were back in October, but I have no way of knowing how many are spending money in the Cartel store. I still Subscribe and I have dropped around $100.00 on Cartel Coins since the game went FTP.

I will give them credit that they do manage to get a new update out every 30-45 day. So you are always getting some game tweaks and some new type of end-game mission/event.
Captain
# 16
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
I got tempted to do the free-to-try thing and get to lvl 15 because I was looking forward to f2p on TOR.
In f2try I was able to roll up 6 toons (max allowed 8) and I played each of them with a different style (something I don't normally do) so I had my sniper/warrior/tank/healer/mage/etc.. I had toolbars up the sides of the screen and at the bottom, play was quick - little to no lag, and my pokey PC was able to handle the rendering easily.

Post f2p, I was only allowed 2 toon slots so deleting any toons to start again would have left me with fewer toons. Since I already had 6, I was able to keep them but buying extra slots would have been meaningless until I bought more than 4.
Side toolbars disappeared into the mists of "you want it, you buy it" as did my companions abilities in crafting (only allowed to keep 1 of the 3 I had from f2t). Half of the servers were closed, so my characters were migrated to another, resulting in having to rename 2 of my toons! All of a sudden, I experienced MAJOR lag, repeated disconnects and my PC had real difficulty keeping up with the landscape (I was walking on an invisible, elevated platform over Coruscant... SCARY long way down). Every little thing I had from f2t was suddenly gated behind Cartel coins and either a big grind for little reward or real money for same.
I gave it a week post f2p and have not been back since. I uninstalled and won't be tempted to go back for at least 6 months... maybe they will have smoothed things out by then?
Things are fairly smooth now. And while you are limited to 2 characters per Server, there are 8 US Servers and 9 European Servers. So you can have potentially 16 US characters, or 18 if you're in Europe. I have FTP friends who have characters on US and European Servers - but how much lag that involves would depend on your internet.
Captain
# 17
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
IMO the only reason why they went F2P is so they could justify to the players a Cash Shop. There F2P system is so restrictive that any players with a real interest in the game have to be a subscriber or they are better off not playing. There is only one good thing about their Reputation system and that is it is account based. Not sure if the Cartel Coin reputation is account based or not since it has been months since I stepped in.
Captain
# 18
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
As soon as STO went F2P I dropped TOR like a hot rock, even my friends who were all clamoring to get me to try TOR went back to playing WoW. For all of the Star Wars hype the fully animated interaction cut scenes get old fast, 1st time through is cool, 20th time is "oh god are you still talking?". Then when you get to playing the actual game there really isn't that much there, there aren't a lot of maps and for a science fiction where space is a big part of the genre all it offers is a stupid arcade game, then after all of that, the engine is such a buggy resource hog that I have to reboot my computer to get it to work right after running the game.
Nah, TOR is a great idea for a single player game or a console game, but for an mmo it's a complete disaster.
Even WoW: Kung-fu Pandas is better than that clunker.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah. I'm so glad I got into the TOR beta. I knew then I wasn't going to buy it. Bioware really went to **** fast. Sellouts.
Captain
# 20
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
As soon as STO went F2P I dropped TOR like a hot rock, even my friends who were all clamoring to get me to try TOR went back to playing WoW. For all of the Star Wars hype the fully animated interaction cut scenes get old fast, 1st time through is cool, 20th time is "oh god are you still talking?". Then when you get to playing the actual game there really isn't that much there, there aren't a lot of maps and for a science fiction where space is a big part of the genre all it offers is a stupid arcade game, then after all of that, the engine is such a buggy resource hog that I have to reboot my computer to get it to work right after running the game.
Nah, TOR is a great idea for a single player game or a console game, but for an mmo it's a complete disaster.
Even WoW: Kung-fu Pandas is better than that clunker.
How many games are interesting on the 20th play-through?

I have 14 characters in STO and constantly dread starting a new one, as I know it's just going to be the same exact missions over and over. I even made 1 character who only leveled using Foundry missions just to try and stem some of the boredom.

At least about 20% of SWTOR's missions are Class specific. Who here doesn't wish even 1% of STO's missions were specifically for Science, Tac, or Engineers?

Neither game is close to perfect - they're both very average - and they're both fun rides, until you get bored with them.