Lt. Commander
# 1 omega weapon amplifier
01-13-2013, 06:52 AM
how does the omega graviton amplifier work exactly?

does it proc only on attacks that deal kinetic damage? or on all attacks types like phazers, tertion, anti-proton, etc.? is there some kind of catch to this?

by now i have reached tier V and i still cant decide what to chose for tier IV. it would help a lot if i knew exactly what i was choosing between. any advise on what to chose is welcome but i really need to know what the omega graviton amplifier does exactly before i can make my choice.

Last edited by mistressbenihime; 01-13-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Commander
# 2
01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistressbenihime View Post
how does the omega graviton amplifier work exactly?

does it proc only on attacks that deal kinetic damage? or on all attacks types like phazers, tertion, anti-proton, etc.? is there some kind of catch to this?

by now i have reached tier V and i still cant decide what to chose for tier IV. it would help a lot if i knew exactly what i was choosing between. any advise on what to chose is welcome but i really need to know what the omega graviton amplifier does exactly before i can make my choice.
It does exactly what it says it does, 2.5% chance to deal(for my captain)751 kinetic damage on energy weapons and 5% chance to proc on torpedoes and mines damage. It is superior to choose over shield regen in every way now that crypic has nerfed shield rege- I mean, "fixed" their so called error.

Now, that's not to say it's totally useless. I still went with shield regen for my ENG because they can and do hold aggro if you spec into threat, but ENG is pretty much the only career where it is worth choosing shield regen over omega proc unless you're trying to tank on your SCI for some reason. I suppose there is PVP benefits to consider for all three careers but uh, eh... whatever. When you get down to it the only one who benefits greatly from omega is cannon users because it's still just a regular 2.5% proc rate so go from there with your choice. Shield regen is great if you are working on a shield regen set up, though. As small as it is, every bit helps. I'm at over 2k now with regen on my ENG with power to shields.
Career Officer
# 3
01-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I finally hit tier 4 Omega on my first character and took this ability and it's confusing to me. It refers to "directed energy weapons". I asked in zone chat what were considered directed energy weapons and I was told it is all weapons, excluding mines and torpedoes of course. But looking at the different weapons on the STOWiki, only beam arrays say they are directed energy weapons.

I did an elite STF and I didn't notice any difference in my damage output compared to before I took this passive.

Also, considering it's name, would I need skill points in Science>Starship Graviton Generators and/or Starship Particle Generators to get the full effect?

Hail your new Overlord!
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
01-18-2013, 10:07 PM
It has a 2.5% proc chance with ALL weapons that are not torpedoes or mines.

and it has a 5% proc chance with torpedoes and mines..if you watch the target your attacking you will see plooms of explosions from the target at times...depending on what weapon pros...ie. tetryon weapons will show a blue explosions when it procs and torpedoes will also based on color. The KCB for example will proc with a red explosions.

Directed Energy weapons are cannons (Turrets, Single, dual and dual heavy), and Beams (arrays and dual beam banks)

and it is a direct 751.7(around that number i dont know the eexact decimal lol) kinetic damage that can not be buffed it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 5
01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Omega weapon amplifier procs like crazy when you use Beam: Fire at Will. I can only imagine how well it works with Cannon: Rapid Fire or Scatter Volley.
Career Officer
# 6
01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Actually Courious, from going to X XI to XII, does the set bonuses get a little better? I haven't made the XII set yet but was wondering.
Career Officer
# 7
01-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Doesn't seem to, sorry. But I only looked at MK 11/12 though. Perhaps if there was a difference, it was too small to see even in the logs.
Captain
# 8
01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
The whole ability is snafu. Typical cryptic though.

2.5% chance for energy weapons.. ok let's think about that one for a second.

It gives cannon weapons a ridiculous advantage since they have the fastest rate of fire and they fire in bursts so every little 'shot' has a chance to proc.

Beams get kicked in the nuts since they have much lower ROF and much lower damage.

5% chance for torpedoes and mines. Umm... we can only fire torpedoes and mines once every 6 seconds at best (photons) and with doffs its down to once per second but thats just ONE torpedo not 12+ cannon rounds hitting target each able to proc.

It should be:

1% chance to proc for cannons
5% chance to proc for beams
10% chance to proc for torpedoes.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 9
01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
The whole ability is snafu. Typical cryptic though.

2.5% chance for energy weapons.. ok let's think about that one for a second.

It gives cannon weapons a ridiculous advantage since they have the fastest rate of fire and they fire in bursts so every little 'shot' has a chance to proc.

Beams get kicked in the nuts since they have much lower ROF and much lower damage.

5% chance for torpedoes and mines. Umm... we can only fire torpedoes and mines once every 6 seconds at best (photons) and with doffs its down to once per second but thats just ONE torpedo not 12+ cannon rounds hitting target each able to proc.

It should be:

1% chance to proc for cannons
5% chance to proc for beams
10% chance to proc for torpedoes.
If Cryptic was to do something like this for procs, it should be expanded to a general overhaul of all space weapon proc percents.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
I fire quantums once a second. This is because I'm torp spec. For me, this ability is WONDERFUL. I think a 10% proc rate would push it well into overpowered-land.