Community Moderator
# 121
03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatela View Post
As to the Romulan Empire, there's no real indication that a new faction would be the same one D'tan is part of. {snip}
Hello, Captains,

The topic is cloaking device. Please stay on topic. If you have a different topic you'd like to talk about, please feel free to start a new thread.

If you'd all like to stop talking about cloaking devices (I know I would) then letting the thread die a natural death would be merciful.

Thank you!

~ Bluegeek
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 122
03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
the cloaking device is the only thing keeping a little balance if any at all between BoPs crap turning qins and all the new shiny ships and human boff stacking fed ships indulge in. not to mention fed ships have stronger hulls and a number of 5 tac console ships.

there is already saucer scrubs cloaking using a specific build, you want everything?

pvp is becoming very unbalance ship to ship wise because cryptic caters to whiny feds.

so no, by no means should you have cloak, and defiant should be stripped of it.
Lt. Commander
# 123
03-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
I think they should make the cloaking device something you can buy for all factions at the Romulan rep store

except in 1 ship it is mostly useless - that being the B'Rel

Most Feds complaining about the clock are just basing their experience off of what happens in Ker'rat

In 9/10 PvP matches against Fed players - KDF players come at them uncloaked

Not many KDF players use the cloak in PvP - so I don't think most Fed players know how useless it is.

If they did some Fed vs KDF PvP they would see.

Ignore Ker'rat - it's just a silly zone.
u dont pvp much do you?

if u are in a bop u are cloaking before u attack, iv never seen anyone on any team do it any different
Lt. Commander
# 124
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
I dont know if it has been mentioned - but the Enterprise eps of the mirror universe the enterprise has a stolen cloak which they use to sneak into the Tholin base holding the TOS era Connie - Defiant.

One of the best episodes of ENT and what the STO anniversary FE was based on.

Still the cloak is not as useful as Fed players think it is.

Outside of Ker rat - you will barely see it in use.
and you would be wrong. join a klingon pvp arena or c and h and see how many of you re teammate bops cloak before alpha...
Captain
# 125
03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsupreme79 View Post
and you would be wrong. join a klingon pvp arena or c and h and see how many of you re teammate bops cloak before alpha...
Not to mention raptors, they cloak a fair amount as well. Battlecruisers I can see not cloaking, there isn't much point to it. They're supposed to draw fire and tank, so it's ultimately best if they remain uncloaked while the BoPs and raptors circle around looking for a good target to attack.

The main use for the cloak in most situations is the advantage of surprise, and it's not undefeatable. In order to get the devastating alphastrikes, they have to get within 5km. . .well within range of sci ship detection.

In a PvP situation outside of Ker'rat, I wouldn't cloak nearly as much in my Hegh'ta, because cloaking makes you vulnerable to attack for a few seconds. It takes too long to escape a fight, recloak, and then come back in. . .better to just dogfight until you're about to get squished. In Ker'rat, there's more time and tactical flexibility.

Last edited by travelingmaster; 03-16-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 126
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Just make fed cloaking devices not require a console to use on the two ships that can use them. No battle cloaks or anything, maybe one day a console-based phasing cloak with a short duration, like in that one episode of TNG when the Ent D equipped the illegal experimental phasing cloak from Riker's old ship.
Lt. Commander
# 127 reply
03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
make the fed ships that use them give up a weapons slot because they arent designed specifically to use them make them have to use a weapons slot as those systems are the only ones capable of channeling that much raw power and to be really cheecky let game pick either frot or rear weapon slot randomly
Starfleet Veteran
# 128
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Its very obviuos some in this thread know absolutely nothing about the federation, thier history, ideals or possibly what it even means to be a fed and why they keep thier word when given.
Or some of us just perfer the more realistic TOS federation to the naive moronic TNG federation who seem to only make bed treaties

Quote:
Cloaking has been a Klingon technology for a long time and it suits both our definition of honor and our actions as a conquest expanding predator mindset race and culture.
Yeah becuase the writers were lazy or didn't have the money which is why they grafted stuff from the Romulans to the Klingons while marginalizing the Romulans.

Quote:
My apoligies. I forgof the TOS episode, the Enterprise Incident where Kirk stoled the RSE advanced version of the cloaking technology they had developed decades after the Klingon - Romulan trade that gave the KDF thier cloaking technology.

The Klingons didn't get cloaks decades before TOS, in fact nobody had ever seen one until Balance of Terror. Heck there wasn't any canon trade agreement either thats just something fans came up with to explain Romulans using Klingon ships which was said to be a NEW thing in the Enterprise Incident.
Starfleet Veteran
# 129
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus22 View Post
make the fed ships that use them give up a weapons slot because they arent designed specifically to use them make them have to use a weapons slot as those systems are the only ones capable of channeling that much raw power and to be really cheecky let game pick either frot or rear weapon slot randomly
Thats not how cloaking devices work, or even how their hooked up.
Commander
# 130
03-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
Or some of us just perfer the more realistic TOS federation to the naive moronic TNG federation who seem to only make bed treaties
Hard to argue that the Treaty of Algeron was a bad treaty; what exactly did the Federation lose in exchange for sixty plus years of peace? Nothing, as far as we can tell. Their allies, the Klingons, had plenty of cloaking devices they were presumably studying (for anti-cloaking technology, since we know the Federation's sensor technology has kept pace), and when they needed a cloaking device, the Romulans just loaned them one!

Now, if you want an interesting cloaking device, don't put it in place of a weapon. Put it in place of the shield. There's lots of reasons to believe that the cloaking device is actually a modification to the shield system, after all. A unique, Mk XII ultra-rare shield which allows for limited cloaking would be a unique tactical dimension, involving some interesting trade-offs.
Closed Thread