Career Officer
# 11
03-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Assuming you have all tiers unlocked you have a lot of options.

I started this chart a while back (initially with just the fleet ships) to help me decide myself. I hope it's of some help to you.

http://starfish1.co.uk/chart1.jpg

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Captain
# 12
03-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
For tanking specifically? Odyssey has greater shields and higher ranked engineering and/or science, and isn't stuck with 3 eng ensigns.
I make brilliant use of that third ensign slot on my fleet Excel and threat control works so much better when you are putting out a lot of damage
Captain
# 13
03-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit. Lots of damage output, lots of survivability. Not burdened by too much eng, and graced with a wonderful amount of tac, while still having good science utility. Also it's not an Excelsior. And it comes with the very rugged Imperial skin. Only catch here is that it requires a Tier V shipyard.

Equal to Fleet Excel in Hull and Shield Mod. Slightly inferior in turn rate and inertia. However as handling goes, it's about equivalent. Also it is tactically SLIGHTLY better. Not by much, but it's there. As such it must sacrifice a SLIGHT amount of survivability. However in all other aspects (damage output, self/team heals, overall utility), it's equal.

Both ships tank very well. Both ships deal great damage (as cruisers go). Both ships are adept at their jobs, and can not only give and take it, but can do that while still supporting their team.

I would recommend both ships, but if you can, get the Imperial. Not gonna lie, I am biased and hate the Excelsior. But my observations are still sound, despite my... dislike for one of the candidates.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 03-18-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 14
03-18-2013, 02:09 AM
Fleet Excelsior is a sound choice. I slightly prefer the Fleet Assault Refit because of the ensign tac. I own both ships and recommend them to any aspiring tank who also wants a respectable DPS potential. Stay away from the Odyssey Star Cruiser, which is just the freebie ship everyone got last year. If you want an Ody, get the C-store Tactical version.
Ensign
# 15
03-18-2013, 02:55 AM
If i am not mistaken isn't the star crusier the "tanky" one for T4 so shouldn't the fleet version also be "tanky"? Besides that the fleet star crusier looks bad ass as is next on my hit list now that I have acquired both the fleet heavy cruiser refit and fleet research vessel refits.

s.w.a.t
Republic Veteran
# 16
03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Fleet Star Cruiser (Nomad) is different from the Odyssey Star Cruiser. I have never delved much into Star Cruisers, though I assume they would be decent support and heal ships. The Odyssey Star Cruiser is a 9 console obsolete version of the C-store variants.
Commander
# 17
03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
The standard Assault Cruiser is actually a decent tank. If you are looking for pure tank and are not concerned at all with damage you could pick up the Fleet Galaxy. It has the highest hull hit points of all the fleet cruisers if I'm not mistaken. It is however gimped tactically. I'd personally go with the Fleet Assault Cruiser, if you have access to a T5 ship yard. If your fleet isn't at T5 you should consider the Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit (the Excelsior) and the Fleet Support Cruiser Retrofit (Ambassador) as they are both good choices as well.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste