Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 21
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
Um. That's not Object Oriented Programming. If it was, they would just look up the Dual Cannon subclass and change one variable, which its implementations would then inherit.

Cryptic apparently uses Tangled Ball of Yarn Oriented Programming.
Ah, but we're talking about storage here, not coding. And if the firing arc is a property instead of a method...

Who knows? In any case, testing for unintended consequences would still require significant time (we'd hope.)
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Rihannsu
# 22
03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I would have to agree, that I do not feel the change would be just 10 seconds..

Not only would you have to change the Variable for the cannons to deal damage in the new Arc, but you'd also have to change the Art variable effect to work properly. And then there's changing the tool tips to reflect the new change. Not to mention making sure ALL Versions of these cannons, old and new, have this new change implemented..
Then you have to run your own tests to make sure the code isn't interfering with something else. Then you have to send the new change to Q&A to make sure it's not going to break something.
And that's not if there would actually have to be new art for the change as well (doubtful, but you never know).

That does not sound like 10 seconds to me. Sounds like at least a week, maybe two of personal time (because you know something like this would probably be done on their own time) while some of the code might even need two different people or even teams to make sure it works properly.

The 5th Weapon slot, for example, was not easy. It involved Systems to make sure the items worked on the ship, UI to make sure the new slot was added properly..

I'm not apologizing for Cryptic's many mistakes over the 3 years of game time.. I am simply using my brain of what I know to guestimate information that makes sense. And 10 seconds does not make sense to me.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Empire Veteran
# 23
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
holy crap who cares how long it takes. these weapon tooltips with the stats are refreshing a database, adjust the database. be it every entry for every possible combination of mod and mark, or if it can be done with a single command to all entries. the fireing arc is likely a variable in the code associated with the weapon type.

these should be very doable things.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 24
03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
As anyone with even the slightest comprehension of computer science could tell you,

~EVERYTHING HAS TO DO WITH CODING~

Seriously, what do you think this is - an Excel spreadsheet?

Those two variable exist somewhere within the many millions of lines of code that make up STO, so changing them is - by definition - a coding change.
I really depends on how the engine works. Many games use outside data that is easy to access and modify. Hence why so many games are easy to mod.

Now it may cause issues with the graphics in some way but I seriously doubt it.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Captain
# 25
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
holy crap who cares how long it takes. these weapon tooltips with the stats are refreshing a database, adjust the database. be it every entry for every possible combination of mod and mark, or if it can be done with a single command to all entries. the fireing arc is likely a variable in the code associated with the weapon type.

these should be very doable things.
From how the math of the game works I highly doubt it would be that extreme. It would simply require a modification of the base values for Dual Cannons that would then go into the math to fix all the indidual pieces of equipment.

I highly doubt an entry exists for each individual item. Instead the engine does the math for that item using the base values and modifiers which are individually set in an external database file.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Career Officer
# 26
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Increase the arc, don't touch the damage or keep it minimal, like 2-3% reduction.
Empire Veteran
# 27
03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
From how the math of the game works I highly doubt it would be that extreme. It would simply require a modification of the base values for Dual Cannons that would then go into the math to fix all the indidual pieces of equipment.

I highly doubt an entry exists for each individual item. Instead the engine does the math for that item using the base values and modifiers which are individually set in an external database file.
i agree, it seems like the mods are applied on the fly, and with FAW and other things they hesitate to mention, not applied properly sometimes when abilities get used. they arent imbedded in a database with the item. i was just mentioning the worst case, and that wile it would be tedious, it wouldn't even be that bad to update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Increase the arc, don't touch the damage or keep it minimal, like 2-3% reduction.
we are talking about an increases. all pressure, even from DCs, basically does nothing. i cant tell the difference between beam array damage and DC damage, pressure is so ineffective right now.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 28
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post

I would be surprised if this wasnt the case, but hey... its Cryptic.
Commander
# 29
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
There is art when you mouse over a weapon in the HUD (where you fire weapons with your mouse) a projection of the arc is displayed in front of the actual 3D model of the ship (although the size of this may be determined from a value in the code but somehow I doubt it, esp since that would be drawing a 3D object dependent on "systems" code and the two (3D and systems) are controlled by different programmers).

Also controlling items like this within a database in this instance is easier to update, but updating this sort of thing in an MMO is quite rare and would be less effiecent and more messy to implement (not to mention slower than just building it directly into the code).

I also agree with previous posters that said that the firing arc is dependent in a value or math in the code related to the weapon type (in this case dual cannons) and not from a item database (the one that stores what the item is, mark, types, quality (which is stored in a database suprisingly instead of in the code for the item, although chaing the rareity of something is much more likely than changing a firing arc) etc).

Edit: Also I would say maybe an hour of work by two or three people at most would be required but I really don't know. And as DontDrunk and maybe others said it dosen't really matter, what matters is wheither Cryptic is willing to make the change, its as simple as that.

Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honour Guard

Last edited by afree100; 03-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.