No. I do fine with my Dedicated Auxiliary spike per tank engineer cruiser its really viable in a premade I basically tank all 5 players because I have +Th threat control consoles and thy have plenty of reason to try kill me. Then my team has plenty of time to finish off all the opponents.
You're wrong Hurley. I do just fine in my Galaxy cruiser / Engineer class with:
4x Neutronium MK XII Purple
4x Field Generators MK XII Purple
Tier 5 rommy cloak
Fixed 125 Aux/shields
3x BFI doffs
Did i forgot elite fleet weaps that heal myself?
I tank like a bird.
Originally Posted by wildweasal
im confused why would you use RSP3 wouldn't RSP1 X2 better?
I'm 99% sure that post was sarcasm. It's a jab at all the players who bring cruisers into PvP because they don't like dying, but don't bother doing anything useful for their team, like damage, or healing.
1. +Threat consoles don't make players target you. They do help resist damage, but if a player encounters a hard target that isn't doing any healing, sci wizardry, or damage, they'll just ignore it.
2. No mention of any engineering heals. There's no mention of anything filling the ensign engineering slots, even though ET could fit there, and even ET 1 from a dedicated healer backing it up with Aux heals can be very useful.
3. Two copies of Aux to Damp and no Aux to SIF. Even if your goal is to tank damage and not heal, cycling Aux to SIF on yourself does more for you than Aux to Damp, due to the hull resistance on it. A cruiser cycling 2 copies of Aux2SIF with enough armor consoles almost doesn't need shields. But if he had Aux2SIF, then he might generate 'player aggro' from healing, and the point of the post is to make fun of people who think they can tank players.
4. 2xEPtS3 + RSP2 = 3 LTC Engineering slots. And honestly, if you've ever run a cruiser with 2xEPtS3, you know you don't even need RSP since the only thing getting through your shields is SNB.
5. 4xNeutronium. There are diminishing returns on armor; 3 consoles is the 'sweet spot'. A cruiser can pick up some extra resistance from using SIF consoles to buff up Aux2SIF and HE though, so 2-3 armor + 1-2 SIF ends up being tankier than going with all armor, but that could make the 'tank' build posted look too much like a healer, and since healers might draw player aggro they actually make more effective tanks than 'tank' builds do.
6. 4x Field Generators. The Galaxy-R only has 3 sci consoles in either the normal or fleet versions.
7. 125 power to Aux/Shields. This would require running at insignificant weapon power, so even enemies with minimal power to shields and a couple copies of EPtS1 could ignore you indefinitely.
Nope, that post was definitely sarcasm aimed at anyone who thinks 'tank' is a role in PvP.
+Threat consoles do not add a skill bonus, the way that most Science consoles do.
+Threat consoles only add a bonus percentage to your overall threat.
My mistake then -- I thought they added to the threat generation skill, which helps your resists a little bit.
So that post was even more sarcastic than I thought
In all honesty, the best console I've seen for pulling player aggro is the Ablative Generator console on the LRSV-R -- it makes it look like you've got no shields, while at the same time making you virtually immune to damage. It's been a while since those ships are common, so a lot of players aren't used to them anymore -- it's not uncommon to see three or four people suddenly switch targets and unload on you while it's active.