Captain
# 181
03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Humans, sadly, are humans; four hundred years and star travel just mean we'll find somebody new to look down on. And how often did we see Quark being underestimated on DS9 because "everybody knows" what Ferengi are like? For that matter, see Mr. DeSoto's reaction to the first look at Romulans in the TOS episode "Balance of Terror". It took the stern words of the captain for him to hide his instant disdain for Mr. Spock. And then there was the way Data was treated when he took command of the ship whose name escapes me, when blockading the Romulan/Klingon border... Yes, sadly, prejudice is alive and well, even in the early 25th century.
I've always thought Star Trek humanity has itself pretty fooled. They say they've evolved past their flaws. No--they have just pushed their sense of the "other" outward, and are now racist to aliens instead of just being racist towards each other. Too much self-congratulation and too little realization of what they've really done.

Quote:
Partly luck of the draw, partly Grunt finagling to get Roclak on his crew (they met in the Academy), and partly a tendency on the part of a certain assignment officer to dump the losers on the Ferengi, because nobody's ever going to trust a dangerous assignment to a Ferengi, right? (He'll get his come-uppance; I don't know yet if that will be on-screen, though.)
That really stinks. I hope that officer gets what he/she deserves.

As far as discrimination in ranks and assignments...as a Devidian Alyosha can certainly attest to that. Why do you think it took him almost 35 years to make captain? While I think the required time-in-grade is longer in the 25th century due to the increased lifespan for human and other species, let's just say Alyosha had to fight for every promotion he got. "Yes, I am capable of command, NO, I do not eat my subordinates for lunch, THANK YOU VERY MUCH."

(Thankfully he does end up with three backers that I'm aware of, though: Marcus Kane of Starfleet Intelligence, and later on, Admirals Quinn and ch'Harrell--the latter being his fleet admiral.)
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 182
03-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
I'll need to see what else I can come up with.
If you see what I had scribbled down for my response to "Saying Hello" which would follow on when I'm done with "Prized Possessions", I'm sure it will give you some ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 183
03-20-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
Some characters do have a way of doing that. You know, the stories I wrote back in CoH also tended to jump around in time, and I think it's partly how my brain works: my attention tends to jump randomly around to different things, so the stories I write tend to jump around too, focusing more on the relationship between the past and present rather than the sequential events. Plus, it's so much fun to start en medias res, right in the middle of an unlikely situation, and work backwards to find how they get there. The next story I write, though, will be told in chronological order... if only because that's how it's decided to form itself in my head.
It's definitely funny when it happens and a character changes so much from an intended concept Really looking forward to reading your next story, I'm trying to let some ideas percolate and see what comes out ^_^

Quote:
I so missed out on the subtext the first time I saw the movie:
Likewise... When Ilia first came onto the bridge, and everyone was grinning, I just thought they were happy to see her

Quote:
all my innocently prepubescent brain could make of Ilea was that being bald's a futuristic hairstyle.
The really funny thing, is that I never even registered it as a deliberate hairstyle, I just thought she was a lady who was supposed to be bald (and the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen )
Captain
# 184
03-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Heh heh heh...

Well, let's see what response this one gets. It's not as whimsical as the last, but future entries probably will be.
That was a really solid entry A good example of the maxim that even a broken clock is right twice a day, and indeed, a crew who's skill sets compliment each other nicely And indeed, good to see people taking note of Starfleet racism... I always felt McCoy needed a talking to for his racist abuse toward Spock
Captain
# 185
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I just updated my post with a few more lines and pretty much overhauled all the previous ones so that it flowed better and had a few more details. However, I may have complicated matters by creating too many complex sentences. If you spot a few glaring ones, could you point it out to me? Thank you very much!

Ran out of time now and hopefully I actually get to the end of what I planned. Writing something set in late 2409 (Season 2) when I wasn't in the game during the time is kinda difficult, but at least there's a lot of threads to dig out what the past was like, and which missions were available.

By the time I'm done, I'm calling this chapter "Prized Possessions & Saying Hello & Perplexing Complexities", maybe it might inspire Kirayamato further. ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 186
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
That was a really solid entry A good example of the maxim that even a broken clock is right twice a day, and indeed, a crew who's skill sets compliment each other nicely And indeed, good to see people taking note of Starfleet racism... I always felt McCoy needed a talking to for his racist abuse toward Spock
He did. And I also think Spock needed a talking-to for his demeaning of humans.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Captain
# 187
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
He did. And I also think Spock needed a talking-to for his demeaning of humans.
You're not wrong there... That said, I put Spock's attitude and behavior down to self-loathing and an attempt to distance himself from his Human heritage...
Captain
# 188
03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
True, but since no one called him on it, the behavior continued. I think he might've been forced to change his behavior if it earned him a performance counseling writeup from Kirk...

Captain
# 189
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Just added LC2 I think I'm going to work on previous LCs in order as they were presented but start adding a timeline, so to speak, so that 1) I can avoid those pesky sa\tardates and 2) having my stories have a continuity that's not necessaily linear to the LC numbers.

Hrm, I may have to edit my previous LCs to reflect that ...

@ khayuung - reprinting it now for reading on a break
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Commander
# 190
03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Alright, I've tried to expand upon my first entry. Unfortunately, I've discovered that what I've written won't fit in the two posts I already have up in the Literary Challenge, so I've posted it all seperately in the main Ten Forward thread. I guess we can count the "full" story as a seperate entity for LC purposes, however. Link here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=1#post8685941

In the meantime, I'm going to have to think of what challenge I'll use for Story #2. As ever, I look forward to reading more entries from everyone else.

Last edited by ambassadormolari; 03-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.