Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
It is very nice and although I did not finish reading the entire thing there was one bit that stood out to me as slightly incorrect.

In the Neg'Var section about shield resistance (pg 25 I believe) they were talking about stacking shield resistances and not doing the math correctly. If you start at 40% and add 20% to the resistance the result would be 52% resistance. You don't just add the resists together you multiply the damage you take (.6 * .8) and that is the damage you would take (.48) giving you a resistance of 52%.

Not putting it down at all, just trying to help it looks amazing!
Thank you very much for this - would you mind mailing me the specifics in-game and I can update to reflect the accurate information?

Is there a way someone could validate this?

Its very important for me that the information is accurate and productive!!

Is there anyone guru's who would validate Bareel?
Captain
# 22
03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
It is a common method used in most games, and works mathematically. Additionally a Dev long ago did comment that it is how it works. Otherwise the stacking would be insane really. Let us use the 40% and 20% in an example.

You are attacked for 100 damage, you reduce it by 40% or you take 60% is the proper way to say it. So there is now 60 damage.

You reduce that 60 again by 20%, or you take 80% of 60. That would be 48 damage that you take.

So you reduced 100 damage, to 48 damage, for a real resistance of 52%.

You could test it by using known resistance values and shooting at someone for an hour to get a large enough data sample to rule out the standard variance in damage rolls. But just trust me I am normally right with these things.

In addition there was a hint by a Dev that the same diminishing returns applied to hull resist is applied to shield resist (when they stated the maco shield operates outside of this normal diminishing returns system) but they never confirmed it and quite frankly the data sample you would need to know one way or the other would take much more time than even I am willing to invest to find out. So that is an 'unconfirmed' in my view.
Captain
# 23
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
It is a common method used in most games, and works mathematically. Additionally a Dev long ago did comment that it is how it works. Otherwise the stacking would be insane really. Let us use the 40% and 20% in an example.

You are attacked for 100 damage, you reduce it by 40% or you take 60% is the proper way to say it. So there is now 60 damage.

You reduce that 60 again by 20%, or you take 80% of 60. That would be 48 damage that you take.

So you reduced 100 damage, to 48 damage, for a real resistance of 52%.

You could test it by using known resistance values and shooting at someone for an hour to get a large enough data sample to rule out the standard variance in damage rolls. But just trust me I am normally right with these things.

In addition there was a hint by a Dev that the same diminishing returns applied to hull resist is applied to shield resist (when they stated the maco shield operates outside of this normal diminishing returns system) but they never confirmed it and quite frankly the data sample you would need to know one way or the other would take much more time than even I am willing to invest to find out. So that is an 'unconfirmed' in my view.
Mate please mail me!
Rihannsu
# 24
03-20-2013, 02:18 PM
When I heard about the companion guide, I was thinking it was going to be another Youtube video.

But seeing it as a Magazine was definitely delightful. You can take your time, read what you want, and with only 36 pages, it's easy to digest. Not to mention it is VERY well done artistically.

Very very good job!

I'd almost love to see something like this done almost on a monthly or Bi-monthly Basis.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Career Officer
# 25
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Terrific job. Really enjoyed the read.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 26
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
When I heard about the companion guide, I was thinking it was going to be another Youtube video.

But seeing it as a Magazine was definitely delightful. You can take your time, read what you want, and with only 36 pages, it's easy to digest. Not to mention it is VERY well done artistically.

Very very good job!

I'd almost love to see something like this done almost on a monthly or Bi-monthly Basis.
It's going to occur just before the graduation session of each Boot Camp.

The next is going to contain a roller coasters ride of just ships + builds + tactics
Captain
# 27
03-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Fantastic job! Congratulations!

Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Captain
# 28
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post

Very very good job!

Yeah, when is the next edition, Drkfrontiers! =)

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Captain
# 29
03-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Yeah, when is the next edition, Drkfrontiers! =)
Sargon I am hoping to release it with the next Boot Camp just after the 3rd session, as I did with the first.

This one is going to be really cool focusing just on builds and ships.
Commander
# 30 Great Guide for New PVP'ers
06-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Thought I'd bump this up for anyone new to PVP or thinking about getting into it. An awesome guide in e-zine format.