Career Officer
I've said this ingame many times and I will reiterate it here, just for the benefit of players who are not familiar with the history of the event:

There was a sci-fi mmo I used to play that was sabotaged for no other reason then the company who owned it wanted it to die.

Shortly before it ended, they did a promotion similar to this one Cryptic is now offering.
It went something like this:

Your sci-fi MMO is closing down, but as compensation, we're offering you free access to our new fantasy mmo which is coming soon.

This was a blatant stunt to get as many players into the game at launch, to make it appear popular.

It backfired spectularly!
The majority of the playerbase who were given the offer simply declined it.

And that's the impression I'm getting here.
It's inappropriate to pitch a fantasy game at sci-fi players.
They're completely different worlds/fanbases.

Cryptic should just give it up and stop linking STO to NWO.
Starfleet Veteran
# 102
03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
You're getting free STO items from Neverwinter if you're a Hero of the North Founder, which is noted in the blog. Also, you're not just getting the STO items, but all of the other items listed here for other PWE games: http://www.perfectworld.com/news/?p=839091

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Seems odd that there's nothing for champions on that list.

But for STO, it might be nice if there was a costume piece or a catchy neverwinter related title ("Never Afraid of Winter", "Defender of Neverwinter"), or something along those lines for veterans who have both.

Or maybe a weapon, like a + 5 Sword of Dragonslaying (that's just a repurposed naussican sword with a medieval themed skin).
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 103
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
P.S. I wonder too, why no CO bonus? I'd take that as a sad sign for Champs.
Shouldn't be taken as anything sad/ bad. TL;DR: Unfortunately, there were technical difficulties with the Champs promo item. Longer version: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...1&postcount=20

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Rihannsu
# 104
03-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks Lan451 and Branflakes for the replies explaining about CO.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 105
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Your sci-fi MMO is closing down...
It's most definitely not. Just wait until what you learn tomorrow

Also, if you read the blog, it's not just STO, but all PWE games (sans 2 due to technical difficulties, see my post above): http://www.perfectworld.com/news/?p=839091

Cross-promotion happens all the time within publishing studios, Captains. This isn't a new concept If NW doesn't interest you, that's okay! But if it does, and you're interested in becoming a Founder, that's okay too!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 03-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 106
03-20-2013, 04:42 PM
You better be right Mr. Flakes...or it's the Dairy Volcano with you.

Career Officer
# 107
03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
This is interesting to consider. Had STO been introduced as F2P in 2010, would I have been drawn to such things as an Officer's Pack (or something comparable to this Hero of the North pack)? Maybe. And even it if had included goodies for Champions, I may have looked at those as a curiosity if nothing else. Not something I'd calculate to be of value. I may have eventually peeked at that game after I got my initial STO fix. But my primary choice to spend for the pack would have been based purely upon STO incentives. Not anything for other games.

Regarding the STO incentives offered within the HotN Founder's Pack, They are merely tacked on as part of a PWE Games Gift Package. Very much lost in the fine print and require a few more clicks for the curious. So I don't see those items as being as exclusive as the NW incentives in large, bold webpage boxes.

The T1 Kumari costume was the only thing that raised my eyebrow. Is that not the original Enterprise series costume that Kumari fans were hopeful to see included with the Kumari Bundle? I don't need it myself. But I would like my fellow player's who have longed for this to have the opportunity as well.

Perhaps within 3 to 6 months of NW's launch, our fans of the original Kumari costume may be able to acquire that for themselves later through STO itself? For our own communities sake I'd like to see that sooner rather than later.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Ensign
# 108
03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
STO Mirror Universe will open up with a complete leveling path for Federation and Klingon plus your captain can cross over and level up there too?

*I'm rooting for a new faction but I will honestly be shocked if that is what it is. I would RATHER see a ton of new content for my VAs and perhaps a level cap.
Career Officer
# 109
03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I've said this ingame many times and I will reiterate it here, just for the benefit of players who are not familiar with the history of the event:

There was a sci-fi mmo I used to play that was sabotaged for no other reason then the company who owned it wanted it to die.

Shortly before it ended, they did a promotion similar to this one Cryptic is now offering.
It went something like this:

Your sci-fi MMO is closing down, but as compensation, we're offering you free access to our new fantasy mmo which is coming soon.

This was a blatant stunt to get as many players into the game at launch, to make it appear popular.

It backfired spectularly!
The majority of the playerbase who were given the offer simply declined it.

And that's the impression I'm getting here.
It's inappropriate to pitch a fantasy game at sci-fi players.
They're completely different worlds/fanbases.

Cryptic should just give it up and stop linking STO to NWO.

I think it's more of a perk for prospective NW fans to try other pwe products... I don't see anyone buying it for those side perks but your diehard DD fans. This is a chance though for them to pick up some more players from other companies and get them try some other F2P games they offer while they wait for the launch of NW.

I myself am interested in playing NW now that I was given beta access with my lifetime sto purchase. I wouldn't have thought I would like it until I played two weeks ago. I don't know if I'll spend money or not on zen for it but I'm eager to play it now that I sampled it. STO is always my first game but NW was fun to play as well. I wont buy a founders pack because it's not my thing at that price point unless it came with a stipend. If I were a DD fan though I can see this as a good offer and chance to introduce all their games with little risk to the purchaser.

p.s. No company is going to shutdown their largest product that is clearly making them money. This title also has a huge cult following as well as the new movie and another trek game coming this year. If NW is anything like the direction STO is headed, it's going to be a huge improvement.
Republic Veteran
# 110
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:

Also, if you read the blog, it's not just STO, but all PWE games (sans 2 due to technical difficulties, see my post above): http://www.perfectworld.com/news/?p=839091

Cross-promotion happens all the time within publishing studios, Captains. This isn't a new concept If NW doesn't interest you, that's okay! But if it does, and you're interested in becoming a Founder, that's okay too!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Let me start off by saying that I love STO and I had a blast playing the Neverwinter Beta 2. I will be in the Beta 3 if I have time. I would absolutely buy the HotN pack IF I had the money laying around. I have no problem with the cross-promotion. How about you find out if there is any plans for a flip to it. I.E. If a player buys the STO LTS, they recieve some goodies for Neverwinter et al.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Closed Thread