Career Officer
# 21
03-21-2013, 07:51 AM
I figure they will have two sets of missions for Romulans, with one of those sets being shared with Klingons and expect the kdf players to be all happy about it.
Captain
# 22
03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
While I can't say I'm particularly enthused about this outcome, it seems like a generally good move for the KDF as a whole: Players become attached to their first characters first and foremost, and often stick to them in spite of their inevitably flawed choices. Only a small fraction of players are altaholics and are unlikely to make more characters that they put effort into.

But I, for one, intend to get all my Klingon-making done BEFORE they add another pointless 20 levels of extended-newbie-tutorial crap.
Ensign
# 23
03-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Well this certainly doesn't bode well for the future of KDF development.

Despite some very vague rumors, I'm not seeing much in the way of details pertaining to filling in that early level gap for the KDF. At best I think all we can hope for is remastered versions of some of the early Fed missions that are tweaked to be Klingon and Romulan neutral. We might get a fancier tutorial mission for the KDF, but I'm not expecting much in the way of unique content.

The only thing that we have confirmed at this point is that they are finally giving the KDF the ability to be playable from the start. Aside from that it appears they are ready to stick a fork in the faction as they are done with it.

Sadly since game development is a zero sum game this means the majority of development resources for the KDF will be drying up. The KDF will probably be left with the scraps from lock boxes, rep system stuff, and fleet ship variants... well that and whatever new bugs pop up when they implement this massive update.
Empire Veteran
# 24
03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Excellent news, and with the new movie coming out soon this is rather good timing. I doubt the tutorial will be up to the level we see with the Fed's (it doesn't have to be), but neither do I see it being at the level it was before.
Empire Veteran
# 25
03-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrezeon View Post
Well this certainly doesn't bode well for the future of KDF development.

Despite some very vague rumors, I'm not seeing much in the way of details pertaining to filling in that early level gap for the KDF. At best I think all we can hope for is remastered versions of some of the early Fed missions that are tweaked to be Klingon and Romulan neutral. We might get a fancier tutorial mission for the KDF, but I'm not expecting much in the way of unique content.

The only thing that we have confirmed at this point is that they are finally giving the KDF the ability to be playable from the start. Aside from that it appears they are ready to stick a fork in the faction as they are done with it.

Sadly since game development is a zero sum game this means the majority of development resources for the KDF will be drying up. The KDF will probably be left with the scraps from lock boxes, rep system stuff, and fleet ship variants... well that and whatever new bugs pop up when they implement this massive update.
Its going to be down to metrics in the medium to long run, which means spreading the news to the old players and new about these changes. If the numbers improve enough then Cryptic will invest the time.
Career Officer
# 26
03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Yet had they invested time, the numbers would have followed long ago..
Commander
# 27
03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Starting at level 1 can mean much. Either the do much more content or the just accelerate level ups.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Lieutenant
# 28
03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
If you guys remember our discussions about the lack of kdf content, missions that leveled people up from level 1 to 25 ranked lower than more end game content, bug fixes, more costume options, and more ships. Yes getting missions from level 1-25 will increase our metrics, but really if that's all we get we are just being thrown another bone again to shut us up. We've been thrown bones before if you remember, and many of our main concerns still went unanswered.

I think we've been patient enough. Come May 21st if we aren't shown a good faith effort to meet at least a majority of our demands, its time to revive the in-game protest idea along with contacting the game media to draw attention to this issue and our protest. No more angry forum posts it'll be time for real action.
Captain
# 29
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benovide View Post
In April KDF is getting a full content overhaul. At least that's what's been stated, unless they are blowing smoke.

There is also content from the Romulans that can be crossed over Klingon Side.

I don't care to play from level 1 again as a Klingon, since I'm level 47 as it is on my main KDF. I look forward to the Tholian STFs and new Tholian Space Set, though.
The whole point of having a level 1 starting point is to help increase KDF numbers. Having the faction be an option to play right out the starting gate, combined with a UI that's easier on the eyes, should go some way towards increasing KDF numbers, or at least keeping them the same after some KDF players decide to switch to primarily Romulan. If KDF numbers increase at least a little bit, that gives the KDF a little more leverage when it comes to inquiring about new content, etc.

I'd settle for a distribution like this: Federation 50%, KDF 25%, Romulan 25%. It will likely be a little less balanced in the end (more like Federation 60%, KDF 20%, Romulan 20%), but that's the general balance I'm hoping will happen. Federation will hog less of the game development resources as such, since they wouldn't have the clear majority.

What's really gonna make things interesting is that the May release is probably gonna be coupled with the release of Star Trek Into Darkness. If Cryptic/PWE don't half-ass the advertising and marketing, they'll get a nice boost in new players coming to the game. Combine THAT with all three factions being available for selection right from the start, and who knows where the population balance will end up?
Captain
# 30
03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Look, guys, and this comes from a player that still doesn't have a Federation VA.
I have been trying to get my Andorian up, but that is going rather slowly. I am a dedicated KDF player in this game.

At this point we really should let bygones be bygones. In all honesty, as much unhappy as I am about the KDF being neglected, Cryptic went through many changes and problems in the past and I guess they did what they thought to be the best to keep the game allive. As far as I can see, it worked. Now, standing at much more stable ground and their dev. team doubled they can do more. That they couldn't do something in the past does not mean that they won't be able to do it in the future.

At this moment, we have no proof that they wont deliver. And all I've seen so far seems very positive for everyone in this game. Well.....maybe except the Feds. - imagine the whining of having to deal with 2 factions that can cloak their ships! lol

They said the KDF will become a full faction before any new faction. Being able to start as lvl 1 seems to me that they plan to deliver on it. Mind you, I don't expect any other faction to be as "full" as the Federation is. So, we really don't have to hold any grudges for the RR over this.

And I really don't want to read posts against the Romulan faction on this side of the forums.
It is their job, as some of the Romulan fans stated that they wish the KDF would cease to exist. They're the spies, liars and deceivers, so let them do it.
We're the honorable ones. And as such, I'm happy for all the true Romulan fans that finally got what they've been fighting for over the last 3 years.
I welcome a Romulan faction in PvP. More enemies to shoot at. Blowing up Federation space whales gets old after a while. Time to start blowing up Warbirds