Captain
# 101
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
My speculation:

You guys will get a million XP for completing the tutorial, which instantly makes you level 20. Thus, you have a true 1-50 experience.
Starfleet Veteran
# 102
03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Their fanbase is still larger than the Romulan fan base.
You just don't see the rom fanbase at cons. They are there, they just go in disguise or use cloaks. Rom fans are sneaky, just like sneaky roms.

But yeah. Not sure how this is going to shake out to being a financial win in the future for Cryptic unless they make jointly useable KDF/ROM c-store items. Maybe by combining the two populations you'd have enough financial incentive to slow down the fed c-store items for something else.
Captain
# 103
03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Anecdotal evidence of this was clear to anyone who went to Megacon. For every Klingon, there were one or two dozen people in Federation uniforms. In fact, it was the smallest number of Klingons I've ever seen at Megacon. Klingon fandom reached its zenith while Worf was on the air, and has dropped steadily ever since he left it.

They're great fans, they're AWESOME fans, but they've never been anything resembling a majority, or even parity.

I'm glad they're getting a full leveling experience, and I personally intend to level a Klingon up from 1 to the cap (while everybody else is leveling their Space Drow), but Klingons are a tiny fraction of Trek fans, and there is nothing that is ever going to change that, short of 7+ seasons of Battlecruiser Vengeance: veb puq poH.*

* Klingon for "The Next Generation", of course.
Each one of those klingon fans = a dozen fed fans. Any dork can put on a 10 dollar t-shirt and a fed communicator pin and be instantly recognized, but a klingon uniform is much more expensive as well as make-up ,wigs and weapons.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Captain
# 104
03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
My speculation:

You guys will get a million XP for completing the tutorial, which instantly makes you level 20. Thus, you have a true 1-50 experience.
That would be freaking hilarious.

I mean looking at this thread, the announcement hadn't even been public for an hour when already people were complaining, like they somehow expected the game to be remade to their fantasies. I'm amazed there's even going to be this much. The real fun will then be when the Rom players start whining that 'we're not a full faction, nobody loves us!' too.
Captain
# 105
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
You just don't see the rom fanbase at cons. They are there, they just go in disguise or use cloaks. Rom fans are sneaky, just like sneaky roms.
Well played. You got me there. I don't even have antiproton scans to even try to detect them at the cons.

Captain
# 106
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Each one of those klingon fans = a dozen fed fans. Any dork can put on a 10 dollar t-shirt and a fed communicator pin and be instantly recognized, but a klingon uniform is much more expensive as well as make-up ,wigs and weapons.
If you go as Kang from TOS, you have less makeup and wig costs at least.

Survivor of Romulus
# 107
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
3 big things coming for KDF in 2 months:

* Start at level 0 (often the devs get it wrong and say level 1, but you get the point) as your first character. This alone is huge -- as everyone was forced to play Fed for 25 levels (unlocking KDF at level 24) before they got a chance at KDF. At that point they were too invested in their character to immediately start over and make a new character.

* Brand new tutorial. The current one wasn't exactly the best and paled in comparison to Fed version.

* New UI options. While it didn't bother me at all, I've heard many people complain the red caused headaches and they literally could not look at their screen with that much red without getting ill. Now that limitation will be a thing of the past.

If Cryptic is smart they will focus a lot of their attention on fleshing out the Klingon and Romulan factions for the rest of the year (at least) since Federation is in a solid spot.
^ Very much this! ^

I really don't get the need for complaints on this day, as I believe that what we got today was only positive news.
Like the poster I quoted said, this what was announced today resolves the two most acking issues the KDF has IMO - being locked behind 25 levels of Fed. play and people having headache/colourblindness issues with the current Klingon UI. Those were two of the biggest dealbreakers for our faction and now they're gone!

What we know of today is - KDF has those 3 quoted improvements that are very much wellcomed. It is a big step forward for the KDF.The game is growing. Adding a new faction could only add to the depth of the game and the fun of the experience....I'm already imaginig the 3-way PvP! It is a big step forward for STO!

All this negativity is based on assumptions and previous experiences. Nowhere does it say that there will not be any leveling content from 1 to 20 and I'd rather stay positive and assume there is then to assume there is not and be depressed over it. And we should let bygones be bygones. We'll see what the future holds for KDF, but to get annoyed over assumptions is IMHO wrong and not healthy at all. Especially in a day when we recieved such good news for the KDF.

Now if you'd excuse me, I now have the incentive to visit the red side of the C-Store and gear up my ships a bit more so I can make a proper STO wellcome for my arch-enemies! muhahah
Super Moderator
# 108
03-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post

You were saying something about makeup, I believe?

Anyway, I get it and I agree that Klingon costumes are cool and expensive.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Starfleet Veteran
# 109
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhawk2013 View Post
This is the final nail in the coffin of KDF.
If I had a piece of dilithium for every time I heard about the KDF coffin FINALLY being nailed shut I could afford a T5 Starbase!
=/\= ================================= =/\=
Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
=/\= ================================= =/\=
Career Officer
# 110
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
The KDF will never be happy. They have the toughest ships and best and I might add the coolest looking ground equipment. True the content is not what the Feds have but the gap is narrowing.

I have VA's in both factions and yes I got my KDF VA the hard way. I try to play as much of the game as possible, if you get bored and upset with one faction switch to the other one for a bit. If you are playing only 1 faction wether Fed or KDF, you are missing out on the overall game and you will be get frustrated.

I am glad we have a 3rd faction coming in, it means more stuff to do.

However not to sure I am going to be happy with how much this will cost in Zen ie: real money.

One thing they still need to do is Update/fix/make better/do something constructive with PvP. Maybe look at other MMO's that have a decent PvP platform and get some ideas. EQ/PoTBS come to mind.

Bring on the Romulans...tired of killin Borg, KDF, Tholians and the Feds...
"Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
1000 day vet and LTS
STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
Closed Thread