Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 21
03-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimosa View Post
Don't ever ever do this. Or use full turrets, for that matter. They do absolutely piss-poor damage even with rapid fire, most cruisers don't have the tac slots to make proper use of cannon skills anyway, and the fact you do the same piss-poor damage from every angle doesn't make it stop being poor.

Load beam arrays, preferrably with the experimental romulan beam so you can have eight arrays going at once with a manageable drain (sub that for a DBB or torpedo if you lack it). Fit a Fire at Will in your tac slots somewhere and keep EptW (and preferrably Aux2Bat and other weapon power increasers/weapon drain reducers) up at all times. Enjoy massive broadside damage for little effort.
I disagree I do very well with it. You only one or two turrets
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,970
# 22
03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpmeow View Post
Why the exception for DBBs?
Running a single DBB with BO is basically using an energy torpedo that cant be shot down, but costs half your energy pool. BO only activates on one weapon, and it uses base damage as the input, so a single DBB is the better choice for that type of play.

Quote:
Really? 6 turrets on crf beats 3 beams on bo?
There's no such thing as BO on 3 beams, since it only activates on one of them. A better comparison would be BFaW vs CSV. Better still is just look at the base damage when no specials are available. In terms of base damage alone, 6 mk XII turrets = (132 * 6) = 792 cumulative DPS, while 3 mk XII beams = (176 * 3) = 528 cumulative DPS. Obviously if you are able to hold the broadside then the 6 beams will be better at (176 * 6) = 1056. But its the part where you cant hold it that kills you, as I keep saying. Average DPS for 6 beams that are coming in and out of broadside is (528+1056)/2 = 792, which is exactly the same as what you would get from full turrets. Depends on how you plan to fly the ship.

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 03-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,526
# 23
03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm no expert, but I would think that 8 turrets would be a good option for support vessels. Not so much for pure damage, but to ensure the proc from whatever energy type you go with had the chance to trigger as often as possible.

I imagine for example 8 disruptor turrets would debuff a targets damage resistance by quite a bit, I'm guessing more so than using 8 beams since I believe it is worked out by each shot rather than volley.

Again this is all guesswork, I'm far from the best source for facts n' figures
Raagish - KDF Science
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 336
# 24
03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
I'm no expert, but I would think that 8 turrets would be a good option for support vessels. Not so much for pure damage, but to ensure the proc from whatever energy type you go with had the chance to trigger as often as possible.

I imagine for example 8 disruptor turrets would debuff a targets damage resistance by quite a bit, I'm guessing more so than using 8 beams since I believe it is worked out by each shot rather than volley.

Again this is all guesswork, I'm far from the best source for facts n' figures
Proc is based on firing cycle or something, so there's no change there. However, turrets can increase their chances to proc through Rapid Fire or Scatter Volley. It's also quite likely that they'll proc more anyhow because all 8 turrets are always firing on a target.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,825
# 25
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I use a mirror Assault Cruiser
3 single cannons fore + exp. Rom torp
3 turrets aft + Exp. Beam array.

I usually would use Beam arrays but because the BOFF power of Beam arrays a somehow unpractical in my opinion.

So i use cannons with Rapid Fire or Scatter Volley depending on Mission/STF.
I just find it much better to fire more shots at one target than just one big blast that could miss.
On the other hand, using Scatter volley raises much less attention than Fire at will. Especially when doing missions like SB24 i find it extremey dangerous to use FAW.
So in my opinion using Scatter volley is more precise and Rapid fire is likely more save to do more damage. At least for my playstyle both powers are much more adequate.

I just wish they would unlock FAW and BO for cannons and RF and SV for Beam weapons.


Normally i wouldn consider using single cannons, in favour to beam weapons but using a cruiser in STO is masochistig enough for my taste. So i try to make the best out of it at least.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 26
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpmeow View Post
Why the exception for DBBs? I assumed you don't mix cannons and beams because of needing the different tac boff skills...what's different with DBBs?
You can combine one DBB with DHCs for the BO1 on a fleet defiant or fleet prometheus, but other than that, you usually won't combine beams with any cannon type.

Why DBBs? Well DBBs are a forward damage based weapon. You can't broadside with them (90 degree firing arc), so you usually will be facing your target 70-80% of the time if you're using DBBs. Normally you then add on the Kinetic Cutting Beam, but that will still leave you with 3 slots on the back open. Now a lot of players put regular BAs there, but I usually will stick turrets there, since again, I will be facing my target most of the time, so why waste the damage? And until they come up with non-shuttle 360 degree beams (other than the cutting beam), I will continue to do so. But that is the ONLY time I will ever combine turrets with beams.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 28
# 27
03-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Now I'm no pro by any means but I prefer to carry a single torp up front and the kinetic cutting beam on the back along with x6 phaser arrays. I run the Gal-X Dreadnought and I've never had any problems with power. I'm a tac officer by the by. Again though thats just me.

Oh and no I don't do PVP so that might be why as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserfish View Post
Some of us rather like our space whales, but would rather have some of them behave more like orcas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
The reason there can't be cloaks like in TOS or any other show is game mechanics. The same reason why there can't be 14 phaser arrays on my Galaxy Class.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 28
03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I tried an all turret Ambassador, gave it up quickly and put to beams on. much better
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 29
03-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Cannons can work if you're running an assault cruiser/a cruiser with a 'relatively' decent turn rate. I used to have a mirror assault crusier that was 4x single cannon, 3x turret, 1x chroniton mine. It was really quite nice at clearing clusters of hostiles, but it did lag behind a bit against singular/battleship class targets.

Really though, after tinkering around with setups, my favorite cruiser setup is probably twin DBB up front with 3 beam arrays aft and a torpedo front and aft.

Save your Beam Overloads for either knocking down a shield facing to sink a torpedo into a hostile hull, or to finish off a weakened ship that is outside of your torpedo arcs. Torpedo spreads are your AE attack and useful for quickly grabbing initial aggro. Fire at Will is really too random to use reliably. Tractor Repulsors make a better point defense - in addition to offering 'zone control' and being able to tear down bigger borg ships quite quickly. They do have a notable learning curve to use effectively and not grief everyone with though.

The fourth forward weapon slot is a bit a wild card that you can put whatever catches your fancy into. Be that a second torp tube, a DHC for extra forward bite if the ship allows it, a beam array for extra broadsiding power(syncing fore and aft arrays is always a pain though), an experimental reputation weapon - whichever works for ya. Alternatively, skipping the aft beam arrays and going quad turrets works surprisingly well also(4 is enough to give you an almost un-interrupted stream of cannon fire), but you lose the 'punch' of beam overload.

Last edited by szerontzur; 03-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,331
# 30
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
I tried an all turret Ambassador, gave it up quickly and put to beams on. much better
It's all about balance. Full turret means you can hit anything, any time but you sacrifice fire power. If you go against small vessels or carriers this set can actually work.

Beams give more fire power, but you sacrifice the full arc advantage. You have to maneuver to use it optimal. With many cruisers moving like a tub of lard that's not easy.

I run a gimmick set using sc/chrono flux at front and turret/chrono flux rear. I find this set has good fire power and it drains enemy movement/crew. This negates some of the disadvantages of a cruiser. A good compromise.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.