Captain
# 31
03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Really? I thought Sela and Tomalak were pretty intimidating. Of course, we will be fighting Sela as the Romulan Republic
Doubtful. Sela is against the Tal Shiar. She is also unaware of the truth behind the supernova. She may have found Taris is repsonsible.
She will probably be the leader for the Romulan.
Captain
# 32
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Doubtful. Sela is against the Tal Shiar. She is also unaware of the truth behind the supernova. She may have found Taris is repsonsible.
She will probably be the leader for the Romulan.
I'd love that, but at the same time this is the Sela who tried to invade and sieze Vulcan under the guise of 'reunification' she doesn't seem like the sort of person who would be in favor of liberating anyone from oppression, like the teaser page suggests. Also, as the Leader of the Romulan Star Empire, she probably wouldn't be in favor of revolt or the creation of a Romulan Republic.

I'm very happy that they managed to get Denise to do the voicework for Sela, but I am not optimistic of the player working under her (at least for long)
Commander
# 33
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Did you actually read what I typed? I am well aware of the history of the Byzantine Empire (or Eastern Roman Empire, if you are bent on splitting hairs). That's why I reconmended them as a more appropriate. And that Part about there beign no successful democracies in the Byzantine Empire? That was also relevent Romulans do not run democracies, they have not since their conception. They are an imperialistic, xenophobic, militaristic society mired in Byzantine politics. In fact, it is the sneaky backstabbing politics, assassinations, etc of the Roman Empire (East and West) that the Romulans draw from more than anything else, taking that away from them and make them into freedom fighters seems rather out of synch with what I have come to expect and like from the Romulans.
Sweeping generalizations sure are a great way to characterize the hopes and dreams of individuals.

And we've certainly never seen anything that indicates the average Romulan citizen lives in terror of their government, to the point of even wanting to re-unify with their Vulcan cousins, or would want to defect to the Federation. Nope. Every single Romulan is either a backstabbing Senator or a member of the Tal Shiar.

And the chaos in Romulan space certainly isn't a prime opportunity to break away from all that.

The time is now, the day is here.

If Star Trek really is sci-fi about the human condition, only gross negligence would bypass the story-telling potential of revolution within the Romulan Empire in its current condition. And while it would be great to have the option to side with the Tal Shiar, or whatever, player factions within player factions would be a nightmare for Cryptic to produce.

And it's not like siding with freedom fighters eliminates the potential for skulduggery. There's plenty of espionage in revolution.
Starfleet Veteran
# 34
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
Cryptic, please don't make the Romulans a wuss!

I was really hoping to play the classic Romulans, Tal'Shiar and all. But I actually I don't mind a fresh start. But... please do not make a second Federation or make us play those fake Romulans on New Romulus.

Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!
Wait a second;
I thought we were talking about STO?? And yet somehow you manage to work in an insult to myself and every American on the planet?
Geee, I wonder how that could have happend?
Captain
# 35
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
But the Romulans in STO will be pansies like the Federation.
There's nothing pansy about space elves and their pet Epohh Bunnies! Nothing! Just you wait, I'm going to fly a unicorn class spaceship and glitterwell the feds to death in pee vee pee!
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
The playable Romulans will be the New Romulus versions.
There actually isn't anything which says the Romulan Republic is related to New Romulus.

It's just naturally assumed. But that might be a fool's errand, because D'Tan's secessionists
look to be tying themselves to vulcan ideals. So would that make them still actual 'romulans'?

The Romulan Republic might just be another splinter faction of the RSE with more justice
to it's goals, but nonetheless still very much a 'romulan' (in terms of ethinicity) centric faction.
Captain
# 37
03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy View Post
Wait a second;
I thought we were talking about STO?? And yet somehow you manage to work in an insult to myself and every American on the planet?
While I agree that the part in red is a bit out of line, I think the rest is a valid complaint. Cryptic seems to be takign the Romulans in a drastically different direction than fans are accustomed to seeing them as. Certainly, at the very least, it is disconcerting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Sweeping generalizations sure are a great way to characterize the hopes and dreams of individuals.

And we've certainly never seen anything that indicates the average Romulan citizen lives in terror of their government, to the point of even wanting to re-unify with their Vulcan cousins, or would want to defect to the Federation. Nope. Every single Romulan is either a backstabbing Senator or a member of the Tal Shiar.

And the chaos in Romulan space certainly isn't a prime opportunity to break away from all that.

The time is now, the day is here.

If Star Trek really is sci-fi about the human condition, only gross negligence would bypass the story-telling potential of revolution within the Romulan Empire in its current condition. And while it would be great to have the option to side with the Tal Shiar, or whatever, player factions within player factions would be a nightmare for Cryptic to produce.

And it's not like siding with freedom fighters eliminates the potential for skulduggery. There's plenty of espionage in revolution.
On the same token, it's a bit of a generalization to assume that the majority of Romulans are like the reunificationists when there is every indication that they were an underground minority that still clung to vulcan philosphies and beliefs. The shuttles that were going to be used for the invasion only held a few thousand romulan troops, which is a pretty good indicator of the size of the reunificationist movement being a negligible fragment of the RSE, despite the government working to foster such sentiments over decades in order to feasibly make an attempt to invade Vulcan.

As for Star Trek being about the human condition, you might have more of a valid point if we were talking about TOS, but ST began to move away from that into exploring the alien-ness of cultures such as the Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans a long time ago, nothing is lost by allowing Romulans to persist as Romulans instead of conforming to Federation ideals.

If I wanted to play as a reunificationist, (and there's nothing wrong with that) I'd play as a vulcan, or perhaps a Fed Romulan (if they pop up as a Zen store unlock). Reunificationists were not indicative of the RSE on a whole, and should not be the basis of the one and only Romulan faction.
Commander
# 38
03-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
On the same token, it's a bit of a generalization to assume that the majority of Romulans
Who said anything about a majority? It doesn't take a majority to have a revolution.

Quote:
As for Star Trek being about the human condition, you might have more of a valid point if we were talking about TOS, but ST began to move away from that into exploring the alien-ness of cultures such as the Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans a long time ago, nothing is lost by allowing Romulans to persist as Romulans instead of conforming to Federation ideals.
Everybody's human. That's a cockamamie argument anyway because the Klingons and Romulans and Vulcans are still informed by human culture because they're fake cultures written by humans. They are mirrors to reflect on the human condition.

And being a republic doesn't suddenly make somebody Federation 2.1. Americans are very different from the Ancient Greeks and the British. Heck, the 21st century American republic is quite different from the 18th century American republic.

Quote:
If I wanted to play as a reunificationist, (and there's nothing wrong with that) I'd play as a vulcan, or perhaps a Fed Romulan (if they pop up as a Zen store unlock). Reunificationists were not indicative of the RSE on a whole, and should not be the basis of the one and only Romulan faction.
Who said they're reunificationists? It doesn't even make SENSE for them to be reunificationists, since if they were they'd probably just move to Vulcan, or at least the Federation, instead of trying to secede from the Empire or overthrow the Imperial government or whatever it is they're doing. It's more likely that they're Romulans who like being Romulans but don't like being terrorized by the Tal Shiar.
Captain
# 39
03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy View Post
Wait a second;
The part where you assume America = the whole western world is the best unintentional comedy possible.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 40
03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Who said anything about a majority? It doesn't take a majority to have a revolution.
I think you missed the entire point. People (myself included) might want to play as something representative of the RSE, not a tiny splinter group. How would you feel if the entire Federation faction was comprised of vulcan isolationists? because that's what this is like.

Quote:
Everybody's human. That's a cockamamie argument anyway because the Klingons and Romulans and Vulcans are still informed by human culture because they're fake cultures written by humans. They are mirrors to reflect on the human condition.
Well, if you are going to take that stance, than you should understand how Romulans can reflect the human condition perfectly well by staying the way they are. There's nothign wrong with the way they were, and nothing that demanded a revolution.

As someone with 'Dark Elf' in their username, I would have hoped that you obviously don't fidn the notion of other Sci-Fi/Fantasy cultures being oppressive and back-stabby abhorrent. Seriously, Romulans are the closest thing Star Trek has to Dark Elves, excpet better written. It's a bit silly to single them out.

Quote:
And being a republic doesn't suddenly make somebody Federation 2.1. Americans are
very different from the Ancient Greeks and the British. Heck, the 21st century American republic is quite different from the 18th century American republic.
That's one heck of an attempt to derail there. This is relevent to the federation and the RSE, not ancient earth republics. At any rate, They specifically mentin that it is a revolt against oppression for the freedom of the RSE subjects, which implies throwing off the social trappings of the RSE. Considerign the RSE is basically the 'anti-federation' as it is, that would make them a heck of a lot closer to the Feds.

Quote:
Who said they're reunificationists? It doesn't even make SENSE for them to be reunificationists, since if they were they'd probably just move to Vulcan, or at least the Federation, instead of trying to secede from the Empire or overthrow the Imperial government or whatever it is they're doing. It's more likely that they're Romulans who like being Romulans but don't like being terrorized by the Tal Shiar.
I said 'basis' meaning that they were based off of the reunificationists in part. That much is rather obvious, as it seems Cryptic has made them 'freedom fighters' in order to have them mesh better with D'tan and his bunch. (D'Tan himself being a reunificationist)