Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2013, 11:11 PM
And they'll likely fail when they try again- Remember, a 'Crafting Rep' has been mentioned in passing more than once during interviews.

But I still hope for the best, even with their track record. Crafting being a viable thing in STO would be very cool.
Lieutenant
# 22
03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Personally it seems to me like the devs have decided to abandon crafting with the Reputation and Fleet systems filling the role that crafting fills in most other MMOs.
Commander
# 23 o.o
03-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Crafting has always been an important feature in mmo games. Why would it get so little attention? Why can't each class have it's own crafting expertise? Tacs can make grenades and guns. Engineers can make armor and shields. Science can make consumables and special devices. Wouldn't that be cool?
Captain
# 24
03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
I think crafting is pretty hard to balance. One of the trickier elements taken as common to MMO. A lot of games have struggled with it and I think calling it an easy fix is pretty short sighted.

If you can't build endgame gear, crafting is basically junk. But if you can craft endgame gear, you have to be careful not to break your own game's economy in doing so.

It's very difficult to strike a balance when you take the scope of a MMO into account. I sympathize with the difficulties.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 03-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Commander
# 25 o.o
03-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Well, 'end game' aside; Remember how crafting once worked on Champions? Arms made offensive devices and items, etx. We should have several crafting trees to pick from. Also, if the 'end game items where difficult to craft they would not break the game because they would be rare and perhaps even harder to get than reputation gear.
Captain
# 26
03-22-2013, 01:10 AM
First of all, Cryptic is unlikely to remove the dilithium cost. They are trying to make money from crafting. However, because you can buy better stuff on the Exchange, the items that can be crafted are not in demand.

You don't necessarily need unique craftable items to make crafting worthwhile. The easiest way to make crafting valuable is to allow players to craft in-demand items that drop infrequently. For example, certain purple Mk XII consoles and [Acc]x3 weapons can cost 20 to 40 million EC.

Last edited by frtoaster; 03-22-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Commander
# 27 o.o
03-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Yes, if we had more control over the Mods of the items we produced it would help. MK 12 consoles would be nice too.