Empire Veteran
# 11
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
You're logic is so absolutely convoluted that i can't even fathom.
Its your problem if you cannot understand, and if you don't why not ask nicely for explanation? Lol.

Last edited by startux; 03-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Captain
# 12
03-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startux View Post
Its your problem if you cannot understand, and if you don't why not ask nicely for explanation? Lol.
You do recognize that by splitting the player-base into a 3rd faction that the highly dissatisfied ranks of the Klingons will see a large % turnover to the Romulan faction, and that the KDF will in fact shrink instead of grow? Right? I mean you can't possibly think the KDF will actually grow in size after this happens?

Please, make me understand, because it's beyond my capacity to think anyone could see a rat and call it a lion.
Commander
# 13
03-22-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
We just went from the red-headed stepchild to the dog tied up in the woodshed. I'm not really seeing a lot of cause for celebration unless your being optimistic in defiance of Cryptic's historic trackrecord with Klingons.

Instead of spending the time and money to bring the KDF on par with the Federations, the developed a whole faction. Now the game will be 1 full faction, and 2 half assed factions. The reasoning is obvious, it's a cash grab for players gearing up and leveling a new alt. It doesn't actually improve the state of the game, if anything it makes it worse.
So if this upgrade didn't include the Romulans at all, and was only the KDF being able to start at level 1, encouraging people to "gear up and leveling a new alt", you wouldn't see this as a "cash grab"? Is that because existing people who didn't have KDF wouldn't bother? Or because it wouldn't be enough to attract new people to the game? And having spent the money to develop it, and not generated enough revenue to compete with the other titles in the PWE stable, the STO budget would be reduced.

By including the new faction, PWE gets to announce an expansion to the game, and get more coverage in the gaming media. And hopely expand the player base. And some of those guys may even create a KDF as their 1st character. Or maybe not even bother with a Fed character.

Now this does lead onto the quality and quantity of content for both KDF and Romulan factions. Because if it's not there, I think it will actually act as a "drag" to the game as a whole rather than as a bonus. And we are going to have to wait and see for the release.

I think this expension is the only way PWE were going to release funds to expand the KDF storyline. I think DStahl wanted to expand the KDF story, but when Dan and Cryptic costed it, I imagine PWE told him to take a hike. This would have just before his "this is a dead targ" comment. But he's found a way to get PWE to release the funds to do it.

The quality and quantity of the story missions for the 2 new factions are key. I guessing that a lot of the missions will be shared faction missions, with a few being single faction. I'm just wondering if they can create 3 separate stories that way, without it being so jarringly wrong as it has been for the KDF faction so far.
Rihannsu
# 14
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Also huge thank you for not explaining anything in the HUGE countdown announcement. That only left me and X amount of others with even more questions. 1-19 levels for kdf only? Is that all you are gonna do? Looks like that new players will start as rommies isntead of kdf.. Will we get any other content for kdf? Are we gonna get new ships? Fleet Guramba? Fleet K'Tanco Retrofit? Fleet Karfi? Exacly, none of the desired information was shared.

I only hope you will make another announcement so I don't have to wait just to get more depressed.
Say the word, it saves the world.
CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
Career Officer
# 15
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Its nice they put a lot of work into it but as far as i'm concerned its the least i expect consodering the amount of money i spend on this game
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Quote:
You do recognize that by splitting the player-base into a 3rd faction that the highly dissatisfied ranks of the Klingons will see a large % turnover to the Romulan faction, and that the KDF will in fact shrink instead of grow? Right? I mean you can't possibly think the KDF will actually grow in size after this happens?

Please, make me understand, because it's beyond my capacity to think anyone could see a rat and call it a lion.
Yes the KDF as well as the Federation will shrink some when everyone rushes out to try the new and shiny Romulan faction. I too plan on making a Romulan but does that mean I'm gonna stop playing my 3 KDF and 1 Fed toons? I've invested tons of time and substantial cash into these characters (At least the KDF toons) not to mention I've had my KDF characters since launch so although I will play a Romulan it doesn't mean I plan to delete my other characters and settle on New Romulus. You will have some that will make that their primary faction but others, after lvling a Romulan, will go back to the other factions or spend time bouncing between them. At least now new players have an option to create a KDF toon at lvl 1 which will improve our situation some.
Empire Veteran
# 17
03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
I give a whole hearted thank you to the Cryptic team for coming through for the KDF. We can now start at lvl 1 which was one of the main hindrances to the KDF faction and was one of the reasons for our low numbers over here. I truly appreciate all the hard work everyone at Cryptic put in to make this happen.
Thank you is a little premature considering all we know is that the KDF are getting a new tutorial and new UI colors. THere's been no mention of new KDF missions whatsoever, so I have no idea why you're jumping for joy.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Empire Veteran
# 18
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
We wait to see if thanks are in order. Nothing is concrete until it hits the holodeck.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 19
03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I think we can afford to be optimistic here. This is a very early announcement as far as Cryptic's track record goes, so they're obviously confident about what they're doing.

That being said, I'm still investing in any and all pitchfork and torch suppliers in southern California.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 20
03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Yep. Still wait and see mode. I might get some excitement up as the Dev blogs start rolling. Maybe we'll see one tomorrow, or early next week. Be nice to see some word of what the faction will get in black and white.
Other then a few tid-bits were still very much in speculation and WAG mode (wild ass guesses)

Logically there are some obvious things we should expect to see... but as of yet we do not have confirmation.

Hopefull I am. Certain I am not. Reserved I shall remain for now (in spite of what I do know about which is stilll subject to change)

Khemaraa sends.
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!