Lieutenant
# 1 The Narada
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Will we get to see a ship based off the same modifications as the Narada... loving the Romulan, Borg fusion. It looks awesome.
Rihannsu
# 2
03-22-2013, 06:41 AM
As its owned by paramount, probably not.

they would have to do a special deal with them, so dont hold your breath.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 3
03-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janewaywarrior View Post
Will we get to see a ship based off the same modifications as the Narada... loving the Romulan, Borg fusion. It looks awesome.
No - for the same reason as the JJ-prise/2009 Enterprise won't be in the game. Paramount owns the movies, CBS owns the rights to the TV series.

Crypric has a contract with CBS but not Paramount, therefore nothing from Trek 09, or the upcoming new movie, will feature in STO. And I don't expect that to change since the cost of obtaining consent from CBS and obtaining a contract from Paramount would very likely cost an absolute fortune and would likely have little return.

Thankfully, since in my opinion the Nadara is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
# 4
03-22-2013, 06:55 AM
How about the Pre Refit version form the Countdown comics, as well as the Reman BOP (like a 200m less detailed Scimitar)
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 5
03-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
How about the Pre Refit version form the Countdown comics, as well as the Reman BOP (like a 200m less detailed Scimitar)
Countdown was specifically written to be the prequel to the movie. As such it probably falls under Paramount's and JJ's license agreement.

For Cryptic to use anything in the JJ movies they would need to get CBS's permission, and then CBS would need to get permission from both Paramount and JJ. Certainly not undoable, but unlikely.
Rihannsu
# 6
03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janewaywarrior View Post
I'll go a different route from the other responses.

Have you played in any of the Borg Red Alerts against the "boss" ship in them? Now imagine if you will a ship 10 times the size of those Borg command ships.

I base my estimation of the size of the Narada on a comparison of the JJTrek Federation ship being not much smaller then JJTreks version of the Constitution. And that Federation ship in the first few moments of JJTrek1 was TINY when compared with the Narada.

So nope, no Narada. No Enty-J either as both are entirely TOO BIG to be brought in game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Countdown is a licensed work itself, so at best the same rules as getting ships from other Star Trek games apply. And as its licensed from both Paramount and CBS, things might be even more complicated.

Honestly, the pre-retrofit Narada isn't distinctive enough to warrant that when we're probably talking about a Tuffli-like mini ship (it was the Borg upgrades that made it start wrecking fleets). A knockoff would serve just as well.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
I'll go a different route from the other responses.

Have you played in any of the Borg Red Alerts against the "boss" ship in them? Now imagine if you will a ship 10 times the size of those Borg command ships.
The Narada is NOWHERE near that large.

Reference.

The Kelvin's saucer is about the size of the Constitution's. The JJ Constitution is supposed to be slightly larger than the original, but with bulkier engines (There is the shuttle scene that would require the ship to be much larger, but every other shot with a scale reference requires it to be much smaller than that shot did), putting the Kelvin a bit bigger than the Miranda.

With that scale, the Borg upgraded Narada is not quite as wide as B'ger and about half as long. Big, but we're talking tactical cube big, not Enterprise-J big.

If we go with the scale required for the shuttle scene (close to Galaxy size, making the Kelvin something closer to the Cheyenne or Nebula), this puts the Narada right about as long as B'ger and somewhat fatter. Large enough to break firing arcs and probably something that would have to be immobile, but still an order of magnitude away from the Enterprise-J.

And that's with the Borg upgrades. The original was a fraction of that, slightly smaller than the Sovereign.

Last edited by hevach; 03-22-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 9
03-22-2013, 07:29 AM
It also looks like a giant lump of armpit hair, and its primary weapons were missiles... how delightfully 20th century.
Career Officer
# 10
03-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
It also looks like a giant lump of armpit hair, and its primary weapons were missiles... how delightfully 20th century.
I second this. Please no. It's an ugly ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.