Ensign
# 61
03-23-2013, 02:23 AM
we don't really have quite enough information to draw a firm conclusion about whether the faction will be a "not-federation" yet, the freedom fighters reference could be interpreted in a few ways, the regime the page refers to could be a reference to a regime that governs in an increasingly "un-romulan" way and we could be set about righting the "un-romulanness"of this new regime that short on legitamcy, resorts to increasingly brutal methods to shore up its powerbase, legitimacy etc.

somehow I doubt it though.

Last edited by genericola; 03-23-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Career Officer
# 62
03-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
New Romulus as a good guy faction would be a greater violation than the J.J. reboot.
Since the JJ reboot was a good movie, you have nothing to worry about from the new Romulan faction.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 63
03-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Since the JJ reboot was a good movie, you have nothing to worry about from the new Romulan faction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M
Starfleet Veteran
# 64
03-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Hmmm, if anything they are brave.

Going against their own race who have better/more tech and not having much hope of survival (without help)
Element CKY Electric

"similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
Career Officer
# 65
03-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
Haters gonna hate.

95% Fresh rating among critics (93% among top critics)

8.0 Rating on imdb.com. The highest grossing Star Trek movie of all time.

I know it's hard to grasp that our beloved IP is no longer a niche, but what better way to embrace the Vulcan IDIC ideals than to embrace Star Trek 2009.

As Captain Kirk said, "Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant."

The same goes for the Romulan faction (to an extent, as one also has to factor in Cryptic's pass blunders).
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 66
03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Haters gonna hate.

95% Fresh rating among critics (93% among top critics)

8.0 Rating on imdb.com. The highest grossing Star Trek movie of all time.

I know it's hard to grasp that our beloved IP is no longer a niche, but what better way to embrace the Vulcan IDIC ideals than to embrace Star Trek 2009.

As Captain Kirk said, "Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant."

The same goes for the Romulan faction (to an extent, as one also has to factor in Cryptic's pass blunders).
Yes, it's popular. So is Twilight and Call of Duty.
There's a reason why the appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy.

Even if JJ Trek had nothing to do with Trek (and really, it basically doesn't), it's still a brainless action flick with a plot that is so insipidly stupid that it's borderline offensive.
It mangles astrophysics in a way that makes Generations look like a masterpiece of science fact, it's protagonists are all unlikable butt-heads (except for McCoy, but I put that down less to the writing and more to the fact that Karl Urban is freaking awesome), it's villain is a whiny cry baby with no good reason to do what he does and the sets are god awful, from the ridiculous lensflare ridden iBridge to using a brewery as an engine room. A BREWERY.
Series one Red Dwarf managed to make more convincing spaceship sets than that.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabuboria View Post
Hmmm, if anything they are brave.

Going against their own race who have better/more tech and not having much hope of survival (without help)
Brave or not, I expected to play a member of the RSE and not just any Romulan. What if instead of UFP we had to play the Maquis? They were brave too.

I hope they release more information soon.
Ensign
# 68
03-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Not being the Star Empire specifically dosn't bother me so much, I just hope that this republic doesn't turn out to be the new romulus romulans, or that they at least take them in in an anti-federation/KDF direction.
Captain
# 69
03-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
Brave or not, I expected to play a member of the RSE and not just any Romulan. What if instead of UFP we had to play the Maquis? They were brave too.

I hope they release more information soon.
Exactly this. There's nothing inherently wrong with there being Romulan seperatists. It enriches the setting to have these various little splinter groups. When someone says "Romulan Faction" however, I think the RSE, and I expected this faction to be the RSE. To ignore the RSE in favor of creating a new faction, one that doesn't have anythign to do with the RSE? Color me disappointed so far.
Captain
# 70
03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
The story in the reveal says that you will be going undercover to gather allies and intel that will aid a rebellion against an oppressive regime. You will be fighting from the inside against the Tal'Shiar and Sela since the two will probably be in cahoots now after Sela being abducted by Iconians and no doubt "adjusted" to support their agenda.
It is a much more interesting story to be playing as a rebel fighting from within rather than as just another cog in a totalitarian machine. That doesn't make these new Romulans wusses since they are in far greater danger from their own than from any other enemy and it will be consistent with the existing story developing on New Romulus.
And it should be noted that freedom for Romulans does not necessarily mean an alliance with the Federation or Klingons.