Ensign
Partially too lazy, and partially aware of how much irrelevant stuff gets bandied about these sorts of forums. Coming over from BSGO to give this game a try. Nearly have it downloaded. Anyone wanna post me some links to threads that offer good advice to a player just starting? Any other tips you want to add feel free, pitfalls, things to watch out for, things to not try too early, quickest way to get ahead?
Career Officer
# 2
03-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Why not just play the game and figure it out for yourself??
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 3
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Not sure about the quickest way to go ahead. But I have a tip you might want to listen to: NEVER USE ZONE CHAT UNLESS ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT THE GAME. You'll know why when you read Zone chat. Also, start as a tactical or a science then go for Engineering, in my opinion, it helps. You should also level your Federation toon to Level 50 and get good then start a KDF toon so you're experienced when you get to the KDF

Last edited by thegalaxy31; 03-23-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: More tips. :)
Captain
# 4
03-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Why not just play the game and figure it out for yourself??
Atleast give this person some tips. lol
Ensign
# 5
03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegalaxy31 View Post
Atleast give this person some tips. lol
that was a very good tip...i always learn better by actually playing a game , not by reading
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Too lazy to give tips?
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendgeno View Post
that was a very good tip...i always learn better by actually playing a game , not by reading
and I Like reading the manual before playing games. Some games its actually necessary for a there isnt a tutorial or hint about some obscure command that they purposely dont tell you about to make you read the manual.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 8
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Tip 1: Pay attention during the Tutorial. I know the common idea is to run in and pew-pew things but all that talking going on is telling you about adjusting Ship settings, slotting weapons, and other important things you will need to know as you play. Take your time and pay attention. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone at Level 8, or even higher, who had no idea they could change their Ship settings from 50/50/50/50 to other configurations.
Career Officer
# 9
03-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Always sell your trash to vendors. They give you more money than tossing it into your replicator. Avoid Ferengi vendors though.

If you ever need to buy commodities for reputation or Starbase projects, go buy them from cargo ships hanging out in Sirius or Regulus sectors. They are much cheaper there.

Don't be afraid to use consumables like batteries and hypos. They exist for a reason and can save your butt in a pinch.

Do your story missions instead of just rushing to the level cap. You unlock specific daily missions by doing so. You also get access to some pretty neat gear that is only available through those missions.

You don't need the ships in the C-store to do well in the game. The free ships you get are perfectly fine and can keep up with endgame activities just fine. The paid ships just give you an edge or come with nice bonus items. They aren't absolutely necessary though.

Tribbles will eat any food items in your inventory and multiply. If you leave 1 tribble with several food items alone, you may open up your stuff and find a whole colony of tribbles infesting your inventory later on. That's not a joke either...I'm being totally serious.

I think that covers a few things I would have liked to know when I first started.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Career Officer
# 10
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
U = Character / Ship specs, Including all the interesting stuff such as skill allocation and logs.

O = Social menu, search for freinds, fleet and groups.

I = Inventory, and resources

B = Leave/Enter Shootermode

J = Missions

M = Overhead map

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In chatbox:

Right clicking a name, allows you to see diffrent info on a player who has said something.

Pressing backspace without being in the chatwindow, allows you to reply to the last private message sendt to you

Leave Zone chat, and join a more specialized channel the first chance you get. Only return for a good laugh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't be fooled by the constant "XXXX has gotten that nice ship from the lock box" messages. Chances of getting a shiny ship is between 1:200 - 1:700... Only buy masterkeys if you have a excess of money...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports